Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I decided NOT to stammer today

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

And even though I did, I have had one of the best days of my life, Is this an "awakening"? a glitch in the system or an epiphany? I don't know, All I know is that today I've had one of the best days I've ever had. I feel completely enlightened, more in control of my speech than I have ever been in my entire life.

I'm afraid to go to sleep in case I'm dreaming:confused:

Charlie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

That's good to hear Charlie! I've had days like that when i said to myself I'm going to concentrate on every word and try not to stutter. I did stutter but not as much. It's weird what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hopskipjump

best of luck charlie. im rooting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell

For anyone who has lived all their lives with a stammer you'll know how I feel when I say that imagine if you could go out, go to work, go to the pub, whatever...and not have the black cloud of "will I stammer on the next word I say?, how can I avoid saying... Oh ****e....my name is....."

I'm not saying I'm not stammering, I am, but I've redefined my stammer for myself in such a way that it is no longer/going to affect me in the same way it always has..

I updated my blog to explain what I'm doing..

Charlie....
    I'm off to bed..I'm knackered!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

For anyone who has lived all their lives with a stammer you'll know how I feel when I say that imagine if you could go out, go to work, go to the pub, whatever...and not have the black cloud of "will I stammer on the next word I say?, how can I avoid saying... Oh ****e....my name is.....

Yes, I understand where you're coming from ! Mine was when I came up with a "manual" method for saying that important first syllable. Fluent speech is an "automated" procedure.

I started by realising that it consists of a Signal from the brain, activation of the voice box, exhalation, and a mouth shapeand/or action. So slowly and deliberately, I activated the vocal chords "ugh" sound, exhaled slightly, then for example "D" put my tongue to the roof of my mouth and the sound came. Practised this over and over, and I still put it into action. For me this was a breakthrough. It all improved from thereon in.

All I wanted to do was achieve what you have in the quote above and I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lijh

For anyone who has lived all their lives with a stammer you'll know how I feel when I say that imagine if you could go out, go to work, go to the pub, whatever...and not have the black cloud of "will I stammer on the next word I say?, how can I avoid saying... Oh ****e....my name is.....

Yes, I understand where you're coming from ! Mine was when I came up with a "manual" method for saying that important first syllable. Fluent speech is an "automated" procedure.

I started by realising that it consists of a Signal from the brain, activation of the voice box, exhalation, and a mouth shapeand/or action. So slowly and deliberately, I activated the vocal chords "ugh" sound, exhaled slightly, then for example "D" put my tongue to the roof of my mouth and the sound came.
    Practised this over and over, and I still put it into action. For me this was a breakthrough. It all improved from thereon in.

All I wanted to do was achieve what you have in the quote above and I have.

This sounds helpful...could you elaborate please?

• Advertisement

lijh wrote: »

This sounds helpful...could you elaborate please?

I used the term "automatic" to convey a process which I am not conscious of eg "breathing". Generally we are not aware that we do, unless we decide to think about it. The word "manual" is used figuratively, to convey conscious diagnosis and alteration to a process. Again eg we can mentally observe our breathing, and alter it !

Fluency is automatic in the sense that we are unaware of the mechanical process of speech. We hear the end result as varying sounds exit the mouth. In my own case I tried to analyse what exactly was the cause of the blockage of the first syllable of eg "my first name" when asked.

The signal was ok because I had attempted to say it. So that left 1 or 2 or 3 reasons. No sound from the vocal chords, no exhalation, incorrect shape and/or action of tongue, mouth, lips.

Example; Yesterday I was talking at home and I got stuck on the word "down". I paused, took a "mental look" and was aware that my tongue was "stuck" to the roof of my mouth. For the "D" sound the tongue must "tap" the palate. I released it consciously and "down" emanated. This took a fraction of a second to sort out.

Clearly conscious interventions can also be used on the vocal chords, and exhalation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell

lijh wrote: »

Example; Yesterday I was talking at home and I got stuck on the word "down". I paused, took a "mental look" and was aware that my tongue was "stuck" to the roof of my mouth. For the "D" sound the tongue must "tap" the palate. I released it consciously and "down" emanated. This took a fraction of a second to sort out.

Clearly conscious interventions can also be used on the vocal chords, and exhalation.

Excellent Stuff!, I must admit I've been away from this (boards) for a couple of weeks, And as usual having good days and not so good "moments"! I've got my head in a good place and I think I'm getting stronger every day, but to be honest I can be lazy too! I haven't exercised in about three weeks and like you say above, it takes a conscious effort to follow a technique.

Mine was and always will be using Airflow and soft contacts whenever I block, But I am a firm believer that when I keep a confident and positive frame of mind I don't stammer a quarter of what I normally would.

Practice makes perfect!

Keeping the Faith..

Charlie

Excellent Stuff!, I must admit I've been away from this (boards) for a couple of weeks, And as usual having good days and not so good "moments"! I've got my head in a good place and I think I'm getting stronger every day, but to be honest I can be lazy too! I haven't exercised in about three weeks and like you say above, it takes a conscious effort to follow a technique.

Mine was and always will be using Airflow and soft contacts whenever I block, But I am a firm believer that when I keep a confident and positive frame of mind I don't stammer a quarter of what I normally would.

Practice makes perfect!

Keeping the Faith..

Charlie

Thank you for your positive comments. Your blog I found very interesting, like looking in a mirror, particularly the "baggage" people carry.

I also note your wonderment "Am I dreaming, is it an a Epiphany ?". I would suggest that experience is the normal state. Just like you, when I commenced the upward spiral to constant fluency, I asked the same.

I would suggest you're heading there !!!

For me it took time, but not that long after the breakthrough days you have described. In my opinion people should use any suitable effective method and just get started !!! As someone said "no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer".

Cheers

Advertisement