Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the present situation with the charging of fees at University College Dublin?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

wats da story wit fees at ucd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

wel u c it lkd dis-u djf er 200 dn 345 dn 5345 sddfgjhdfs\xik,oedc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

wel i tel ya 1 ting if batt okeef cumz ovr 2 ucd and tryz to charge me feez i'll bate the flapz off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

matty55 wrote: »

Arts student?

WOOOO I went there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

There's a story with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dey r cumin in nd u r fukd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Never mind fees, you need a pass in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    wel i tel ya 1 ting if batt okeef cumz ovr 2 ucd and tryz to charge me feez i'll bate the flapz off him.
    Ahh you make me laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Its replies to threads like these which remind me why I lurk here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I believe the op might have a better chance of receiving a more apt response by asking these gents regarding "da story wit fees".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

You have to pay them :confused:

• Advertisement

I hear first round CRO offers for Arts were 120 points. John Henry Newman wont like that nor will that crusty dean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

TDOie wrote: »
    Its replies to threads like these which remind me why I lurk here.
    Lurking FAIL. :P

There's a semi-serious point buried in this thread, I think. No sign of fees this year, but if/when they do come in, I'd hope that Irish industry gets more involved in funding study, through corporate bursaries. If they do, they'll have a say over what is studied by students who receive bursaries. Do you think Irish industry is going to support a student who gets 120 LC points, and starts an Arts Omnibus? Fees will signal the end of the idea that everyone should go straight to university, to get "a degree - any degree".

Seriously - if you do that badly at school, you're going to implode at university. It's not an extension of school, it's a step up to another level entirely. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Grimes wrote: »
    I hear first round CRO offers for Arts were 120 points. John Henry Newman wont like that nor will that crusty dean

You never seem to get bored of those two words together

/stalker

You never seem to get bored off those two words together

/stalker

Its the best way to describe Martin Butler imo. I dont know if Im flattered or freaked out but thanks for the stalking.

But BMP has a point. People going to college for the experience will drop. Industry finded educations seems to be the way to go and it looks like HughB Learnings.inc has been on the ball with that for a while

bnt wrote: »
    There's a semi-serious point buried in this thread, I think. No sign of fees this year, but if/when they do come in, I'd hope that Irish industry gets more involved in funding study, through corporate bursaries. If they do, they'll have a say over what is studied by students who receive bursaries. Do you think Irish industry is going to support a student who gets 120 LC points, and starts an Arts Omnibus?

Why would it matter what course they are studying with whatever points, if they are paying full fees for it?

dyl10 wrote: »
    Why would it matter what course they are studying with whatever points, if they are paying full fees for it?
    I think you missed my point. If individuals or their families pay the fees - sure, study what you want, it's your dime. I was talking about the possibility of support for students from the commercial sector, who would expect a return on their investment - which means the right students, studying the right subjects.

This already happens with postgradute scholarships in Ireland, but in other countries where there are no free fees (USA, South Africa, others) it happens at undergraduate level too. Example: a bank offers a bursary to cover tuition fees towards a banking degree, and students compete for it. I know this might outrage students used to the current Irish system of free fees for all, but this system is not the norm in other countries.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

bnt wrote: »
    I think you missed my point. If individuals or their families pay the fees - sure, study what you want, it's your dime. I was talking about the possibility of support for students from the commercial sector, who would expect a return on their investment - which means the right students, studying the right subjects.

This already happens with postgradute scholarships in Ireland, but in other countries where there are no free fees (USA, South Africa, others) it happens at undergraduate level too. Example: a bank offers a bursary to cover tuition fees towards a banking degree, and students compete for it. I know this might outrage students used to the current Irish system of free fees for all, but this system is not the norm in other countries.
    Excellent idea.
    Wealthy people, enjoy being able to study whatever you like because your parents are wealthy. The rest of you peasants will have to make do and study whatever we tell you to.

Justice and equity for all! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Folks, I will say with regards fees and third level in general, abandon Ireland and go here for third level!:D It's "free like a bird" when it comes to education for us paddys and marys, unlike poor John Bull and our friends over the border!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Full fees are in the region of 20,000 + per year, far more than the fees to be brought in in the coming years.

So yeah, if a family pays full fees, I say the CAO shouldn't apply, but if they get a penny of state money they need to reach a certain level.

33% God wrote: »
    Excellent idea.
    Wealthy people, enjoy being able to study whatever you like because your parents are wealthy. The rest of you peasants will have to make do and study whatever we tell you to.

Justice and equity for all! :rolleyes:
    I must be a peasant, then, since when I applied to UCD, a primary concern of mine was being employable after I left. What about your parents: did they get to do exactly what they wanted, for the whole of their lives? Not getting exactly what you want, in all respects, is a natural side-effect of not being wealthy. (Actually, being wealthy isn't all it's cracked up to be, either - it doesn't compensate for being stupid, unless your name is Bush.)

Did I mention that the recipient of a corporate bursary, of the type in effect in other countries, generally receives a job after completing the required degree, at the company who paid the tuition? Summer employment too, in some cases. You get to know people at the company, form business relationships, and have a degree of job security while studying. The student gets something out of it too: a career.

Maybe it's because I'm a mature student, and not Irish, since I think it's absurd for taxpayers ONLY to pay tuition fees, just for people to go to university without a thought about what happens afterwards. I am NOT saying that all study should be directed towards future employment, but I think Ireland has swung too far in the opposite direction, for a country with ambitions to be a world leader in Science and Technology. Something like 2/3 of UCD students are studying Arts, yet almost all will not work in Arts after leaving UCD, but in some other field where their Arts degrees offer no advantage.

That's all I'm saying: free fees are not the norm, worldwide. They aren't really "free" here either, it's just not obvious that everyone pays in some form. Even though I am enjoying the benefits myself, I pre-paid my fees in the form of taxes, over eight years of working here in Ireland before I started at UCD. So, yes, I am a peasant, in that I am not wealthy. I am concerned about where my money went, and where it will come from in the future. The wealthy can study what they want, but if you are just leaving school now and your parents are not wealthy, don't they deserve good value for the taxes that they have paid over the years? What about Ireland: does she need another Arts graduate?

I like free fees, but they only go so far. Currently, free fees cover you for four years at university, but that's it - what then? You are not guaranteed anything afterwards. Everyone's so hung up on the idea of "free fees" that they're not seeing the big picture. Life sucks for us peasants: you'll find that out anyway, it's just a question of when, and "free fees" only delay the inevitable realization by 3-4 years. Want to make it easier later? Grow up, smell the coffee, and look for more from university than just an extension of school and delayed employment. :p

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There defo needs to be more focus on carrer-related subjects in Irish colleges. However I would make the point that if I had gotten no carreer advantage out of my college time or if it had not affected my wage in the slightest, well I still would hae said I am happy to have had the experience with all the character building tc etc etc stuff it entailed.

noodler wrote: »
    There defo needs to be more focus on carrer-related subjects in Irish colleges.

Meh, the last thing I'd want to see is Ireland turn into a boring country of accountants, barristers and IT consultants.

I hope as a country we pride ourselves on our achievements in the arts and not some cyclical economic success we've had .
    There's more to life than money and banking.

It would be a shame to see Irish Universities turn into mindless factories producing the next worker on the conveyor belt.

Meh, the last thing I'd want to see is Ireland turn into a boring country of accountants, barristers and IT consultants.

I hope as a country we pride ourselves on our achievements in the arts and not some cyclical economic success we've had .
    There's more to life than money and banking.

It would be a shame to see Irish Universities turn into mindless factories producing the next worker on the conveyor belt.

I kind of thought I made your point for you in the part of my post you didn't quote?

Anyway, whilst I agree theres a good case for college for college sakes I do think we need a slight shift in focus in order to increase the country's economic revival. Maths and Science subjects need a higher takeup and the real work here probably needs to start in the lower school levels (Primary/Secondary).

I kind of thought I made your point for you in the part of my post you didn't quote?

I don't believe so

I don't believe so

Lovely, well 4 words really helps to establish nothing.

You got nothing in my original post about enjoying the education you would receieve in college regardless of the career it opens up for you?

Fair enough then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

H thread of the day

Lovely, well 4 words really helps to establish nothing.

You got nothing in my original post about enjoying the education you would receieve in college regardless of the career it opens up for you?

Fair enough then.

I think you're a bit too irritiable to carry out a reasonable discussion with.
    I'm talking about Ulysses versus Wall Street.

You seem to be talking about American Pie, promoting the waste of tax payer's money or something similarly farcical.

I think you're a bit too irritiable to carry out a reasonable discussion with.
    I'm talking about Ulysses versus Wall Street.

You seem to be talking about American Pie, promoting the waste of tax payer's money or something similarly farcical.

Wow just wow. You appear to lack the ability to interpret basic English.

Unfortunately as a small open economy reliant on American MNCs I am afraid Ulysses won't really attract what is needed for proper economic stimulation. What I was promoting was a small shift towards more career-orientated courses.

In my OP you seem to have interpreted my post about the other non-career benefits a college education in some sort of frat-boy, no sorry American Pie I believe you put it, type of way? Well that only says more about you jumping to silly conclusions I am afraid. Why your mind goes to American Pie when I said character building is beyond me. What about a better standard of literacy? Being more articulate? Better at maths? Becoming more responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    Why wasnt this post of the day??:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Wow just wow. You appear to lack the ability to interpret basic English.

You appear to lack the ability to have a rational discussion, without trying to insult me on a personal level
    Unfortunately as a small open economy reliant on American MNCs I am afraid Ulysses won't really attract what is needed for proper economic stimulation.

Are you actually stating that possibly the greatest piece of English literature in history is comparable to some economic glitch that won't be remembered in 50 years time?
    If it were up to people like you, sure we might as well burn down our libraries, museums and anything that remotely relates to heritage and culture and replace them Computer labs, Sony shops and Starbucks.
    People like you are everything that's wrong with modern Ireland.
    What about a better standard of literacy? Being more articulate? Better at maths? Becoming more responsible?

If you don't even know what you're talking about, how am I supposed to interpret your gibberish?
    It's rather ironic that you mention the ability to articulate as a focus area, when you seem to struggle with the concept yourself.

How any of the above have anything to do with a more career orientated education system seems to be out of my grasp. I would have imagined that improving the attributes stated above were merely common sense, not something to overhaul our third level education system for.
    Well that only says more about you jumping to silly conclusions I am afraid. Why your mind goes to American Pie when I said character building is beyond me.

Possibly because American Pie seems to be no more substantial than your character or your weak, carousel like arguments.

Advertisement