Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Independent - I'm fooking RAGING

Options
  • 14-08-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

It's not often i'd use an icon on the thread title, that shows my frustration....

OK first here's a little bit of background: I did my LC half a generation ago and went straight to college after, never repeated.

Walking up Domnick St. earlier I got congratulated by three seperate people for going back to do my LC again afer all those years. To say that I was a little confused was an understatment, but I just kept walking....

Then comes the calls from the clients (I'm self-employed)... Some congratulated me again on being so brave to go back and repeat my LC afer all these years, then others were a little more vulgar calling me a lier and telling me I had some cheek to claim that I had XX qualificaitons when infact i'd just completed my LC.... now I was really like WTF??? :confused:

So I whip open the Galway Independent, and in there somewhere is a small article on LC results... and who's fcuking picture in the middle... ME of course!

I hope I will have calmed down in the mornig, if only for the sake of the people I confront when I storm into the Galway Independent offices first thing in the morning.

This is the sloppiest/laziest journalism i've seen in a long while, those lazy shower of sh1tes - they use a FIVE year old picture in an article. FFS I know i'm a ride n all that, but get a more updated pic ffs :p

PS. I can remember that pic being taken, I can even still describe the photgrapher. At the time I gave him my number and told him I wanted to be contacted if they were going to publish the pic (He took the pic before he asked if he could take it - only approached us after to get names) - so please no smart ars3s saying 'shouldnt have gotten in the pic if u didn't want it to be published'

</end rant> Sorry, had to get that off my chest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Every right to be pissed especially if it has the potential to effect your work

I would be looking for an apology/retraction in next weeks paper

P.S. what page??

They've got a really active forum over there:
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/forum/indopinion/

There is a link to a digital edition on the homepage:
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/

Are you on page 4?
    Bouncers will start IDing you again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

...forum invasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thank's for the link, but ranting on a forum (ie. here) is only trying to release my frustration. I'm going to give them some bollocking in the morning. Especially since on the same day they had the cheek to ring me to ask about renewing my advertising slot with them :mad: (I hadn't seen the pic until today)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Rubbish paper, straight into the green bin it goes every week. Best of luck with them tomorrow, try not to lose the rag with them and let us know how you get get on. Hopefully they won't end up publishing a retraction apologising and stating that you did the JC instead... :p

• Advertisement

I hope it doesn't affect your business too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Hopefully they won't end up publishing a retraction apologising and stating that you did the JC instead... :p

Oh man that is fcuking epic, well done sir :P

(I'm easily amused in some ways!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Fair play to you John for going back to do the LC though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Not really your week is it man!

I know someone whose kids have been used as image stock by a paper for certain events despite the fact that they were never there and the picture is years old. Contemporary 'journalism' tends to be lazy journalism...

If we are talking about the picture on the 3rd or 4th page it makes it very clear that the exam results were out THAT day, so for someone to think they got the picture into the paper and published for all in the same morning leaves a lot to be desired in the intelligence department.

Not having a go at you, just the people who taught after reading that you had got your results.

It would be similar to when there's a match on.... ''Galway face the cats in Thurles this evening'' you'd want to be pretty dumb to think the pictures of the fans/players are from that mentioned match... then again maybe i'm underestimating how much people actually use their head's :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Good luck getting any joy from that crowd. At best they're going to offer a limp apology for not informing you they were going to use it, and then they'll quote the caption under that photo, "Over 3,000 Galway students are to receive they're Leaving Cert. results this morning". Reading it one way, they're just using that photo as an example of an event thats about to happen. Its not sloppy, lazy journalism,(although they're good at that as well) but it is lazy administration and you were just unlucky that they chose that particular pic. demand the removal of the picture from they're stock.Legally, I don't know if your entitled to a retraction,as they didn't imply you've just done the L.C or defame you in any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

No such thing as bad publicity & all that...

Maybe surf the buzz & do a weekly column on your first year in NUIG beginning next September... if you're going to go on & do third level, that is.

Von... ha ha ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

"I can remember that pic being taken, I can even still describe the photgrapher. At the time I gave him my number and told him I wanted to be contacted if they were going to publish the pic"

Sorry for your troubles and all but do you have any idea how many people a photographer is going to take in a day? In a week? In a year? And do you really think it's feasible to hang on to the mobile telephone number of them all? For five years?

Your best bet - particularly if you're an advertiser - is to get on to your contact in there and just point out that it's a bit ridiculous using that old photo of you alongside the annual Results story. Sure, it is riduculous running a picture of a fresh-faced kid... five years after it was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

This you on page 31??

Galway_Ind.jpg

Ya must have been a brain child doing the LC that early in your life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Galways angriest man gets old picture in paper sensation!!!!! Let it rip when you give them a call JC, I can't wait to hear what they say.:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I LOL'd

Sorry :o

Just the whole situation is bananas. Shows that people actually do read / look at the pictures in the independent though!

Maybe you could use this to your advantage to get some free advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

People read the Galway Indo? ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Hahaha! Although I'm sure you can look forward to a printed apology.... on the bottom corner of page 31 in size 6 font.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

s_carnage wrote: »
    Ya must have been a brain child doing the LC that early in your life!!!
    He's our own Doogie Howser MD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

did u go to the jes? what year did u do ur lc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

john.. fook the written apology.
    being as this effects your living, as well as your client reputation, if i was you i would be hot footing to a solicitor and take some legal action.
    ive had cause to complain about galway independant myself , and to say the paper is a Rag, is a compliment.
    Dont have it put your foot down, and stick them where it hurts in there bank balance.

The Galway Independent have reveled your identity!!! I knew ya the minute I saw the picture from working in Merlin.

On topic: The least you should get is a printed apology. Chances are anybody who saw the pic will be reading the paper again and will see the apology and realize it was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Make contact with GI / Reg Gordon and arrange for an apology?
    1pj2doy6hx738a85fns.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I did my LC half a generation ago
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    ...they use a FIVE year old picture in an article.

Christ that's some short generation. Are you sure you didn't mean "half a decade". Not to worry, they teach that sort of thing in school. ;)

Relax. If clients would abandon you over something like this, then you might not be as good as you think you are. I don't know your work, but I do know when a client asks me can I do something for them, the fact that I have a few degrees and managed projects worth 7 figures doesn't mean diddly to them. Can you do the job or not, because all the letters after you name doesn't mean you can, especially when you're self employed.

So my advice to you before you burst a blood vessle is to chillout. When I read your initial post I thought you were in the process of loosing a multi million euro empire, and if you had that to loose, I'd probably know you from your picture, which I'm sorry, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You should see if you can use it to your advantage. Get them to do a heartwarming/humourous story about your experience of being mistaken for a leaving cert-er in which they publicise the hell out of your business. They'd have the novelty of writing an article to fill their rag up with and you'd get free advertising that would ordinarily cost you big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

that was quite a rant, just to let us all know you got your pic in the paper.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Not sure what your problem is, it's just a picture. Often they're tagged 'library picture'. You might find you pop up again next year and the year after. I have a friend who was filmed in work at the keyboard of his computer, now everytime there's a story his hands appear tapping away. Never mind that it was at least six years ago now. RTE use the same of shot of the dole queue in Galway for every sequence on unemployment.

At least you didn't have an embarrassing hairstyle like so many LC students have. :) Although..................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Magnus wrote: »
    1pj2doy6hx738a85fns.jpg

Damn - thats desperate JC. All you need now is for a gang of internet twonks to go posting it repeatedly in some of Irelands most popular forums...

Oops. I just realised - more people read the Galway section of Boardsie than read the In-de-bin-then-t...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Magnus wrote: »
    1pj2doy6hx738a85fns.jpg

So which on are you then John, hopefully not the chavtastic guy on the left :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yikes...... not looking too good on the results front.

35lascg.gif

Advertisement