Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIC problem

Options
  • 14-08-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Guys, I have been baffled by this one.
    I just can't seem to get my NIC on my windows desktop working with my router.

The pc/ motherboard is a little old. its the p4vm800 via..
    This is what i have tried,

1. Macbook Pro direct connect to NIC works and can get both to talk/ping each other. cos of macbook pro nic auto adapting
    2. NIC to router(SMC2804WBR-G), can't get to work at all with regular cat-5 cable
    3. If i try a crossover for the NIC to router, it looks like the network connection comes alive in windows but still can never get it to talk/transmit
    4. Macbook pro works fine with router over wired connection, so don't think there is a problem with the router.

The NIC of the desktop has been using the network connection from a wireless provider for internet access, freedombroadband.ie
    This has a POE adapter and is plugged into a wireless box outside the house. Could this have caused any problems, its the only thing I can think of. Seems like the NIC has some internals crossed on it.

Would any of you guys have any suggestion as to what may have gone wrong, or what else I can try to get it working.

Thanks,
    Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Check your not using a static IP address on the LAN connection

• Registered Users Posts: 39 macalase

It has been static using the wireless broadband connection.
    However I did change it to use dhcp when plugged into the router.

But again, as in point no 2, I cannot get windows to recognise that even a network cable is plugged into the computer. it thinks there is a cable plugged in when I use a crossover but I can never get it to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What about the duplex / speed settings on the adapter? Are they both set to auto?

the settings on the adapter are all set to be auto or default, I have tried playing around with those settings too.

when the crossover is connected from the NIC to the router, looks like connection is alive but cannot get it receive from the router. It seems to send ok. I have tried to force it to use a static ip with the router, but that doesn't work, and it won't get an IP using dhcp.

The guy who installed the wireless broadband said he had to use a crossover to get the POE adapter to work with the NIC, I think something must have gotten screwed cos of this. I thought you guys may have seen this before, as this is the second motherboard that this has happened with for me.

sorry guys, I was just verifying the crossover cable and it was wired incorrectly.

So my NIC does not work at all with a crossover or a regular CAT5 cable on the router.

The only time my NIC now works is with the cable from the POE adapter for the wireless box outside, or with my macbook pro. Any ideas?

I have checked the router with another windows laptop and it gets a network connection no problem, so has to be the NIC on the desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hmmm, puzzling. Are there any other unusual advanced settings on the NIC that you can see that might be affecting this? You could maybe try completely removing the NIC from Device manager, deleting the driver files in \windows\system32\drivers, rebooting and installing using the latest drivers you can find for download. It's an ASUS board, right? So you'll probably find the latest drivers there.

I'd say that it's unlikely that the PoE adapter has damaged the NIC in any way. Power should only be being injected on the output of the adapter, not the input, and in any case those wires shouldn't even be connected internally in the NIC.

As a last resort you could always just disable the on board NIC and pick up a cheap PCI Ethernet NIC and use that instead.

tried uninstalling it and reinstalling the latest drivers. I was even looking at flashing the firmware on it, but couldn't find a way to do it. Strange that it works with the macbook pro, and POE wireless adapter though. So there must be a way of getting it working, but just ain't finding it right now

Also having trouble with the usb on the motherboard, having a wireless usb dongle that just won't recognise on the desktop, but works fine in other pcs. Thinking maybe it time to upgrade.

Advertisement