Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why you should never leave an Akita alone!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ky85

jinxycat wrote: »
    Ok so here she is, as you can see she's into everything!!!!!
    Don't think she'll ever grow out of this puppy stage :p

In fairness to her the table is still standing unmarked, the chairs must have been more tasty :D

Man....i suggest feed her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Our Akita is now 6 months and has started to like digging our garden up - dont know how'l we stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Oh i've never had that problem, thank goodness!!!

He's so cute, Only got her from 9 months so I missed all the puppiness :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭elainepie

Discostuy wrote: »
    She's a beaut jinxycat...heres a pic of my two akitas...they are great with people but they can be very aloof when it suits haha...

hey where did u get the backpacks? i am looking for one for my dog.He is an akita cross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Why on earth is there a before pic?? Its a manky chair!
    I think that chair was set up for an epic fail and you know it!

Lovely dog by the way. Really nice colour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

jamesd wrote: »
    Our Akita is now 6 months and has started to like digging our garden up - dont know how'l we stop him.

He is a beaut...lovely colouring...he is going to be BIG haha...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kita525

Discostuy wrote: »
    She's a beaut jinxycat...heres a pic of my two akitas...they are great with people but they can be very aloof when it suits haha...
    OMG -they are just beautliful!!! One question though, how did you manage to keep two akitas and not go mad? I have one (2 year old). The most beautiful, the most wonderful and the most stubborn dog on the planet.
    Did you have any trainer who helped you out? Or did you managed all on your own?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Why on earth is there a before pic?? Its a manky chair!
    I think that chair was set up for an epic fail and you know it!

They probably have more than one chair. I'd say its probably one of 6.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 iw82

jamesd wrote: »

Aaaah... he is just gorgeous....! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My akita has managed to take two doors off their hinges, not through malice, just the attrition of his clumsiness over months :eek:

he also suffers from displaced aggression, if someone gives out to him he sometimes goes off in a huff, finds an item of clothing belonging to them, and swings out of it when they aren't looking. :pac:

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question to those of you who have akitas - would you recommend any particular place/person for training?
    Someone who has helped you?

I seriously believe that my akita is the most stubborn of them all... :(

Help...
    K.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

I've just trained her myself, she used to chew everything in the house but she doesn't anymore. We thought by keeping her to the same area it would eventually stop but it didn't so we started letting her roam around the bottom part of the house and sit beside us on the couch. Since we did this all of her bad habits have stopped and no more chewing. Happy days!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

kita525 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just a quick question to those of you who have akitas - would you recommend any particular place/person for training?
    Someone who has helped you?

I seriously believe that my akita is the most stubborn of them all... :(

Help...
    K.

Like jinxycat said, train them yourself. It takes a lot of time, patience and consistency and "normal" training methods used by trainers/training companies will just bore your akita. The trick is to keep the training sessions in short, fun bursts and always keep your akita interested/entertained while training. They are very social animals and will respond best if they are treated as a close member of your family rather than left outside all the time with no interaction other than the odd walk.

If you have a particular problem, post up about it for some help cos I can't really say any more based on your post

The biggest problem would be walking him.
    We have been trying to praise him, whenever he looks at me, or whenever he's following command that we said. At home he would do everything he's asked for. And would do it with the smile on his face :) But it looks like the minute we're out of the door, he looses all the concentration. He seems to be so curious of everything.
    We have changed his diet, as the vet has advised, but he has not been nutered. I didnt want to go this route as we would like to stud him at some point.
    He's all grown up now (2 years) and he's very strong. I'm tired of struggling with him whenever we're out. I would give so much to have those "happy walks" that I see people going with their dogs for... I just feel that I'm doing something wrong, and was wondering if you would know anyone who could actually tell me what is that that I'm not doing right.
    I dont want him to suffer cos of me and my lack of knowledge...

A couple of things about walking...

1. Make sure that before you walk outside your house/garden that you get him to sit and relax for a moment and then you walk out first with him following. This starts off the walk calmly rather than him getting excited and dragging you out the gate.

2. When your walking, if he starts to pull, just stop dead in your tracks and don't move until he stops tugging. This will take ages to work fully but essentially he'll eventually realise that if he pulls, you stop so he gets nowhere fast.

3. Bring a load of small treats with you, like bits of his dry food, and when he walks alongside you, offer loads of vocal praise and pop a treat in his mouth while your walking so he knows that a calm, peaceful walk beside you = rewards.

4.The more excercise the better, the more he's walked, the better he'll be

5. My lad's not neutered either and he'll pull to mark his territory when he's out. I suppose neutering him "may" calm him a bit but there's no real guarantee.

6. To help your walk you should perhaps get a Halti head collar or a Dogmatic head collar. We used the halti when Loki was very bad and it was a HUUUGE help

A word of caution about studding, (I won't get into the ethics of breeding a non-show dog in an overpopulated world - there's more than enough topics on here that I recommend you read before you even give him a whiff of a bitch) but after mating he may become even more aloof, stubborn and independent which could make things even worse for you. Like I said, plenty of topics on here about that.

Hope thats of some help to you :D

adser53 wrote: »
    A couple of things about walking...

1. Make sure that before you walk outside your house/garden that you get him to sit and relax for a moment and then you walk out first with him following. This starts off the walk calmly rather than him getting excited and dragging you out the gate.

2. When your walking, if he starts to pull, just stop dead in your tracks and don't move until he stops tugging. This will take ages to work fully but essentially he'll eventually realise that if he pulls, you stop so he gets nowhere fast.

3. Bring a load of small treats with you, like bits of his dry food, and when he walks alongside you, offer loads of vocal praise and pop a treat in his mouth while your walking so he knows that a calm, peaceful walk beside you = rewards.

4.The more excercise the better, the more he's walked, the better he'll be

5. My lad's not neutered either and he'll pull to mark his territory when he's out. I suppose neutering him "may" calm him a bit but there's no real guarantee.

6. To help your walk you should perhaps get a Halti head collar or a Dogmatic head collar. We used the halti when Loki was very bad and it was a HUUUGE help

A word of caution about studding, (I won't get into the ethics of breeding a non-show dog in an overpopulated world - there's more than enough topics on here that I recommend you read before you even give him a whiff of a bitch) but after mating he may become even more aloof, stubborn and independent which could make things even worse for you. Like I said, plenty of topics on here about that.

Hope thats of some help to you :D

Thanks a million for all the advises. I guess I was doing (at least part) of the steps mentioned before, but looks like not all at once. Ok, there's no time to waste anymore. Will report in bout week time ;) (fingers crossed I wont go mad by then) and see if I made a tiny little bit of progress.
    Wish me luck, cos I will def need it.

BTW - thanks for the studding tip. I will research more before deciding anything :)

Greetings from me and Austin

Glad to help kita :D I was considering studding/breeding too until I did my research and decided against it (at least until I win the Lotto, buy a huge house with loads of land and surround myself with akitas (and sexy ladies) lol)

Definitely keep us updated on your progress.

BTW I saw your pic of Austin in the Dog Park thread...he's a stunner and his colouring is fantastic!!! I don't think I've ever seen an akita like him!

Check out the forum on IrishDogs at http://www.irishdogs.ie/Forum/default.asp if your stuck, loads of excellent advice on there and there's a few akita owners too :D

Advertisement