Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASRPC safety cert

Options
  • 14-08-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a member of a local rifle club in Cork. We got a message telling us there was a NASRPC safety course coming up and it would be an important cert to have when applying for the new licences. I have a .22 rifle licence at the moment extended to June 2010.

I'm not available for various reasons to attend the NASRPC safety course advertised. Will there be opportunities to do the course at different venues throughout the year ? How important is the cert really ? I've done an initial mandatory club induction safety course and a certified pistol handling, safety and proficiency course (even though I don't shoot pistol I thought it would be good to have. It was good to do but 9 months down the line I still don't have a cert for it. Yes, I passed :) )

So whats the deal ? I'm all for safety courses but if you don't get credit (certified) for it whats the point ? (apart from initial induction courses) I've brought it up with the course instructor re. the pistol course who tells me I have to wait till a certain number of people qualify before certs are issued (cost and all that). I understand this but 9 months down the line ??

Any advice appreciated,

Regards,

Heckler

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DMZ

Heckler wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a member of a local rifle club in Cork. We got a message telling us there was a NASRPC safety course coming up and it would be an important cert to have when applying for the new licences. I have a .22 rifle licence at the moment extended to June 2010.

I'm not available for various reasons to attend the NASRPC safety course advertised. Will there be opportunities to do the course at different venues throughout the year ? How important is the cert really ? I've done an initial mandatory club induction safety course and a certified pistol handling, safety and proficiency course (even though I don't shoot pistol I thought it would be good to have. It was good to do but 9 months down the line I still don't have a cert for it. Yes, I passed :) )

So whats the deal ? I'm all for safety courses but if you don't get credit (certified) for it whats the point ? (apart from initial induction courses) I've brought it up with the course instructor re. the pistol course who tells me I have to wait till a certain number of people qualify before certs are issued (cost and all that). I understand this but 9 months down the line ??

Any advice appreciated,

Regards,

Heckler

Wait for the Guidelines, existing firearms holders will not require any form of competency certification.

What is happening now is scare tactics and should be ignored.

Proof of competency will only be required for new firearms applicants, that proof of competency will not require a certificate from any organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And if proof of competency does require some form of course, the first item on your to-do list is to ask your local Super what courses he'll accept.
    Because right now in Ireland there are no courses that are accredited by the Gardai or DoJ as being suitable proofs of competency.

That's not saying the courses you can do are not worth doing, understand. Whether or not a course is recognised by the Gardai is something totally different from whether or not a course will teach you anything.

It's just that if you don't find out before doing a course whether or not the Super will accept it, then you might find you've wasted time and money on something he won't accept afterwards.

Advertisement