Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 homebrew possibly closer then we think

Options
  • 14-08-2009 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

welll, everyone including myself have been saying for a while that homebrew on current gen consoles(bar the wii) wont happen

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=690029

also from x-s homepage

Demo Video of Free60's New Homebrew JTAG Hack
    >> xZool sent us this news and video:
    I can confirm that the hack that was announced is fully working. This is a quick test setup but it clearly shows the console directly boots into Xell. Doesn't look too spectacular, but people who know what this means will know it is!

I used a Cygnos v2 sample i got (thanks!) and flashed the hack on the cygnos NAND. The original NAND was untouched. I can now boot either the hack or my NXE dash :-)
    I opened a virgin box for that. No DVD hack, nothing. Just flashed it onto that Cygnos NAND and bingo...

my congratulations to all involved!

now anything worthwhile is probabaly way off but at least we do know that an xbmc360 may well be a possibility, then again it could be a dead end since ms already seem to have some sort of a lid on it and it could just be a bit of a dead end exploit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

I read that if you apply the latest dashboard update it will not enable you to use this hack.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Very interesting news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Is it really worth modding the console (and possibly getting a live ban or even a brick) just to play emulators that you can play on pc anyway? I really don't see the point.

animaX wrote: »
    Is it really worth modding the console (and possibly getting a live ban or even a brick) just to play emulators that you can play on pc anyway? I really don't see the point.

Well id hope for an eventual xbmc release, which is rumoured to have a team working on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

animaX wrote: »

Don't be fooled by the term "Homebrew". At least 90% of people who want their console modded is so they can play pirated games on it.

PSP has been hacked. Pirated gaming is rife on it.
    Wii has been hacked. Pirated gaming is rife on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

yeah thats why I was mentioning live bans. Not worth it imo. You don't enjoy games as much when you pay nothing for them

RangeR wrote: »
    Don't be fooled by the term "Homebrew". At least 90% of people who want their console modded is so they can play pirated games on it.

PSP has been hacked. Pirated gaming is rife on it.
    Wii has been hacked. Pirated gaming is rife on it too.

speak for yourself, the only homebrew im really interested in is xbmc, the 360 was hacked for piracy a LONG time ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd be very interested in getting XBMC on to the Xbox 360, hopefully something comes out soon.

I'd say it would be a while but apparently theres a private team working on it

• Advertisement

Heres the newest version of Xell running on a 360, with a Snes Emulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

cisk wrote: »

This is making me want to get an old X360 :) Proper hacking instead of just that drive flashing lark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I've just added JTAG socket to my Xenon. I'll try to go ahead with it on Monday.

I will update this with pictures etc.

Can't wait till Monday :D

X360 Homebrew here I come!!!

Nice, good luck with it!

docentore wrote: »
    I've just added JTAG socket to my Xenon. I'll try to go ahead with it on Monday.

I will update this with pictures etc.

Can't wait till Monday :D

X360 Homebrew here I come!!!

Havnt got an old xenon yet, hope they release the Falcon Xell image soon and i can do it to my 360, HDMI output would rule:)

Did you make up the Cable yourself, did you add the 100oHm resistors?

Interested in knowing how you get on.

Cheers.

just finished (started on Friday with break for the weekend).

First I did the cable without the diode and 100ohm resistors. Spend whole friday on that (well at least 2 hours) - no luck. I couldn't connect at all!

Came back today with diode and 100ohm resistors. Installed resistors, left the diode alone for the moment. But I used different pc. Previous was a Dell D610, this one was Dell Inspiron 4000 (old P3). worked like a charm! Dumped my nand three times, I was always getting error 250 on the same block, but after reading on x-scene and xbox-hacker that was fine. Also my dumps where different in 1 or 2 places. Anyway if the dumps are wrong I'll be left with homebrew console only.

Didn't have chance to boot linux yet as I don't have any spare drive (if anyone has one I can buy it off you) but I've got to bootloader :D

here are few pictures:

soldering from cat5e cable (I know my soldering could be better but it was checked 3 times with m-meter):
    IMG_0900.jpg

dumping nand:
    IMG_0902.jpg

Success!!!
    IMG_0903.jpg

Well done man!

I managed to extract dvd key out of it. Tomorrow I'm going to boot Gentoo

How did you get on with Gentoo?

• Advertisement

Success! I dare to say that this is FIRST post on boards.ie written on Xbox 360

Nice man, congrats!

Success! I dare to say that this is FIRST post on boards.ie written on Xbox 360

So, were u using a browser in Linux running on the 360 to do it man?

Cheers,
    M

Sorry, it was to late yesterday to post pictures, I'd just posted that message from the Xbox.

Here are two more pictures. It was hard to find and open a browser in Gentoo, as the only linux distros I'm familiar with are Mint and Kubuntu. Problem lies in resolutions. The hacked nand image which is available right now is made to use either with Vga monitor using vga cable or hdtv using component cable. I don't have netither of them, but I managed to get something on screen as I'm using RGB Scart cable (it uses the same signal cables as vga and component). you can see on attached pictures what I'm talking about, but I did it.

Now waiting what new will come out of it. If anyone has any questions how to do the mod or anything - just ask! I might know the answer ;)

My setup:
    IMG_0913.jpg

gentoo screen on Philips 32" crt TV:
    IMG_0915.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Thats seriously cool man, well done!

thanks all for motivation.
    I'll update the thread when anything new comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Nice work man, keep it up!!!

Just how functional is Gentoo on it and is it the only distro that works?

Gentoo X360 distro was made in King Kong exploit so its two years old. There was no update since. I can't test it thoroughly because of the reasons mentioned above (lack of proper monitor) :(
    I managed to open browser and that was it for me, I couldn't stand the resolution. I'm sure it is almost full functioning OS, but no sound as far as I know.
    I've seen somewhere people running linux XBMC port on that, but there are some problems as far as I know. Also I've read about other distro working on that (ubuntu I think).

But all that is going to change now. This hack is accessible to all people without need of buying expensive chip with over 40 solder points. This can be done by someone handy enough in less than 2 hours for the cost of ~2euro. There is a new version on SNES emulator with sound and wireless controller support. I think in few weeks/months we will have plenty of emu's and other applications, like media players etc.

Imagine Wii emulator with Natal :D

• Advertisement

Gentoo X360 distro was made in King Kong exploit so its two years old. There was no update since. I can't test it thoroughly because of the reasons mentioned above (lack of proper monitor) :(
    I managed to open browser and that was it for me, I couldn't stand the resolution. I'm sure it is almost full functioning OS, but no sound as far as I know.
    I've seen somewhere people running linux XBMC port on that, but there are some problems as far as I know. Also I've read about other distro working on that (ubuntu I think).

But all that is going to change now. This hack is accessible to all people without need of buying expensive chip with over 40 solder points. This can be done by someone handy enough in less than 2 hours for the cost of ~2euro. There is a new version on SNES emulator with sound and wireless controller support. I think in few weeks/months we will have plenty of emu's and other applications, like media players etc.

Imagine Wii emulator with Natal :D

WOW....class stuff man!

Advertisement