Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vick signs 2yr deal with the Eagles

• 14-08-2009 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

I didnt see that coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Link? Was just watching NFL on sky and no mention of it.....they were saying that clubs were gonna wait until after his appearance on '60 minutes' this Sunday night. Nothing on nfl.com about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Holy Sh!t, mcnabb is quite a mobile QB - similarities? Maybe it's time for him to move on to a team that appreciates him. I mean, he's spent his career with a fanbase that have no faith in him, now his organisation feel the same.

He's too good for that. He could go to the Vikes and win a ring, I reckon. See how the Cnuts in philly feel about him then!!!

Watching Pats game on Eagles Tv and they keep metnioning Vick http://www.justin.tv/feevee3/popout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Watching Pats game on Eagles Tv and they keep metnioning Vick http://www.justin.tv/feevee3/popout

Well its huge, breaking news.

Chris Mortenson tweeted about it about 40 minuutes ago.

Have a bit of a soft spot for the Eagles so I hope it works out. Vick, for all his faults, is definitely a back up that teams have to factor for

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

• Advertisement

Back up, or slap in the face for McNabb?

Dodge wrote: »
    Well its huge, breaking news.

Chris Mortenson tweeted about it about 40 minuutes ago.

Have a bit of a soft spot for the Eagles so I hope it works out. Vick, for all his faults, is definitely a back up that teams have to factor for

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

I know its huge hence why I posted that ESPN link 6 minutes before you ;) As for the mentioning on the stream I put it there for anyone interested in live update on the issue.

Edit: hit that stream now and hear Herm Edwards view on it.

Is this some sort of competetion?

Anyway, here's an ESPN stream. Breaking off to sportscenter constantly

http://www.justin.tv/sticktv_pwns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Vick signed a one-year, $1.6 million contract with a team option for 2010. The option is for $5.2 million.

Nice money for a player who was out of the game for two years...so it seems there was a good few teams interested in him to drive the price upto 1.6mill

Is this some sort of competetion?

Anyway, here's an ESPN stream. Breaking off to sportscenter constantly

http://www.justin.tv/sticktv_pwns

Yes it is and you are winning :rolleyes:
    davyjose wrote:
    Back up, or slap in the face for McNabb?

Herm Edwards reckons wildcat and McNabb will keep his spot. But only time will tell I suppose. Lets not forget Vick has some work to do to get ready for the season. Dont think the Eagles will throw him in at the deepend.

• Advertisement

So where's McNabb playing next season?

This s the second time in 10 months his coach has undermined him. He's gotta be outta there, surely?

davyjose wrote: »

This s the second time in 10 months his coach has undermined him. He's gotta be outta there, surely?

How is signing a back up undermining him? Kolb is injured atm.

Hes the man in Philli dont worry about that even if the fans dont like it...sure he just sign an expensive contract ext

Yes it is and you are winning :rolleyes:

Herm Edwards reckons wildcat and McNabb will keep his spot. But only time will tell I suppose. Lets not forget Vick has some work to do to get ready for the season. Dont think the Eagles will throw him in at the deepend.

I'm more thinking about McNabb's take on this. There are potential SB winning teams that would snap him up in a heartbeat. McNabb is a pretty mobile QB, well capable, I would say, of playing the Wildcat (and the thing about the Wildcat is, the opposition can't know you're playing it, in which case, bringing Vick on exclusively for the WC, kinda gives the game away). So why Vick.

Given the snubbing McNabb was shown last season when he was benched, is this a stretch too far?

How is signing a back up undermining him?

Michael Vick ain't no "back-up". Lets be honest, the Eagles rubbed Donovan's nose in the dung last season, and this does not show any respect to the man either. Back up, my ass.

If I were McNabb I would call the Eagles bluff. like I said there's a team in the Northwest, a decent QB away from a ring. Theres only so much sh!t can be thrown in McNabb's face. Call the Vikes GM, Donovan.

I'm more thinking about McNabb's take on this. There are potential SB winning teams that would snap him up in a heartbeat. McNabb is a pretty mobile QB, well capable, I would say, of playing the Wildcat (and the thing about the Wildcat is, the opposition can't know you're playing it, in which case, bringing Vick on exclusively for the WC, kinda gives the game away). So why Vick.

Given the snubbing McNabb was shown last season when he was benched, is this a stretch too far?

I just cant see Vick ready to play straight away especially picking up the Eagles Offense in a short space of time. I cant see the Eagles changing their offense coming out of Camp and in pre-season. It would be suicide to bench McNabb for Vick. Incorporating Vick in there somewhere will most likely be the first option. Very Surprised if McNabb is benched for Vick.

McNabb just signed a massive new deal. How is that a snub?

Vick isn't a franchise QB. everyone knows that. But he definitely gives options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Consdiering Vick was a **** QB before he went to prision I hardly think a two year break in prision will do him any good. No way he takes Mcnabbs spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

ESPN were saying that McNabb lobbied to get Vick on the team so he obviously doesn't mind the new addition to the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I guess Kevin Kolb's injury must be a lot serious then orginally belieived if the Eagles are taking a chance on Vick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

the thing about the Wildcat is, the opposition can't know you're playing it, in which case, bringing Vick on exclusively for the WC, kinda gives the game away). So why Vick.

The thing with the Wildcat is that you need someone in the backfield that can make running and throwing an option, if you line up Vick and Westbrook-or indeed Vick and McNabb-in the backfield with DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin on the outside there's a lot of speed on the field and the defence will find it very difficult to defend against the cat.

End of the day the Vick signing for Philie will give an upgrade at the QB position. A depth chart reading McNabb, Vick and Kolb looks a lot stronger then most in the NFL.

frostie500 wrote: »
    The thing with the Wildcat is that you need someone in the backfield that can make running and throwing an option, if you line up Vick and Westbrook-or indeed Vick and McNabb-in the backfield with DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin on the outside there's a lot of speed on the field and the defence will find it very difficult to defend against the cat.

End of the day the Vick signing for Philie will give an upgrade at the QB position. A depth chart reading McNabb, Vick and Kolb looks a lot stronger then most in the NFL.

Yeah but, when the Eagles have the ball at first down, say, and they bring in Vick, and Mcnabb is on the bench. It's pretty obvious they're going to run the ball.
    Now the only way they can keep the opponent guessing is to use Vick in some passing plays too. Where does that leave McNabb?

Even if he takes 90% of the snaps, I still feel the guy has taken to much crap at Philly, has been affronted by the coach and the fans one time too often, and he's too good for that.

I made the example, last night, that if he went to Minneapolis he would be treated appropriately as the Franchise QB he is -- i.e. worshipped -- and he'd probably have a better shot at a ring. I'd love to see how the Eagles get by with a ring-rusty QB with no arm too. Maybe then they'd realise what they had in Ncnabb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Yeah but, when the Eagles have the ball at first down, say, and they bring in Vick, and Mcnabb is on the bench. It's pretty obvious they're going to run the ball.

If Vick is on the field and a defence is keyed on the run then it opens up the passing game leaving one-on-one coverage on the outside for the recievers and a pretty good chance of making a play. Andy Reid wouldn't have taken in a player with Vick's abilities just to have him running the ball-if thats all he wanted from the wildcat he would just use Westbrook and Shady McCoy, I think Vick has been brought in to play as an option type QB in the wide open offence that the Eagles are going to play this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Poxy Iggles.

It will make me sick to my stomach if Vick rides the coattails of McNabb and his teammates to a ring. I don't think I could bear it. I have dogs and have steered clear of the Vick topic because I have strong emotional views on the subject and thought better of venting on the internet. But the man did barbaric things to those dogs and the fighting aspect doesn't even begin to cover it. If he wasn't caught he'd still be doing it. I reluctantly acknowledge he may deserve a second chance in life outside of prison but I don't think he should get another shot in the league. I will be cheering on all their opponents this season. Even the Cowpies.

Lirange wrote: »
    Poxy Iggles.

It will make me sick to my stomach if Vick rides the coattails of McNabb and his teammates to a ring.

I agree, not just because of Vick's moral inadequacies, but because McNabb has bloody well sweated blood for this team, and we all know what'll happen - Vick will make the winning play in the last minute of the Super Bowl, and get MVP, and the years of graft McNabb has invested will mean nothing to the crappiest fans on the planet.

The term "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants" comes to mind.

Bengals made an offer for Vick also...well thats not suprising...the only thing that can explain this is maybe the owner of the Bengals was massive fan of the film 'Mean Machine' and wants his own prison football team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Michael vick press confernce

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tbh Davy if Mcnabb did throw his toys out of the pram and demand a trade there's only 1 team who have a chance of winning a superbowl that would draft him, vikings and I wouldn't be surprised if Eagles refused to draft him to a divisional rival so he's far better off keeping his mouth shut IF he is pissed off. Also I'm sure he'd be delighted to have Vick win the SB in the last play of the game and win MVP if it means he gets a SB ring rather then losing in yet another NFC championship game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jetrased

Michael Vick ain't no "back-up". Lets be honest, the Eagles rubbed Donovan's nose in the dung last season, and this does not show any respect to the man either. Back up, my ass.

If I were McNabb I would call the Eagles bluff. like I said there's a team in the Northwest, a decent QB away from a ring. Theres only so much sh!t can be thrown in McNabb's face. Call the Vikes GM, Donovan.

McNabb and Vick are close friends, McNabb is a strange fish, he is a good QB but is more concerned with his own stats and standing within the game. He would prefer to throw for 600 yards and lose than 115 yards and win a regular season game. He has a noted past of refusing to maximize his potential tho, what people forget is his refusal to scramble/extend plays that led to his falling out with T.O. McNabb said in interviews he wanted to become a field general like manning and Brady so wanted to stop scrambling. Anyone else think if brady could scramble he would - hell yes, he is on the field to win. Look at Big Ben - McNabb openly said in interviews he wouldn't scramble as its what is expected from an African American QB ..... McNabb will say all the right things at the minute, but if Vick gets on the field and starts lighting up the scoreboard or moving the chains...watch McNabbs ego get irked and then there will be a controversy. For the time being McNabb will be fine with it but I wouldn't be ton him being OK with it all season....

Remember the reports of the T.O fall out when teammates were saying donovan is a 'company' man rather than a teammate

Also look at eagles OL -- Reid always build a strong OL, Vick has never had an exceptional OL, so running the wildcat or short 3rd downs should be exciting and give other teams major issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Don't really understand all the negativity about this move among posters. McNabb was in a press conference, saying that he and Vick are good friends, and seemed pretty positive about it, maybe he was just acting though i have never seen McNabb pull punches before.

He and Vick could actually complement each other well, and Vick is not a threat to McNabb's starting position, it's going to take the guy at least a few months to get up to NFL speed anyway, if not a whole season or two. He can be brought in for the wild cat, or as a decoy for the wild cat, or as a bluff, or as a RB or even a wide out. McNabb's position is in no danger, and Vick clearly hasn't been brought in as a starting QB, which he never was really anyway.

As for the question of his paying his price to society, he's done 2 years in jail. Sure he deserved it, that's not the issue, but it's over now, he did something indefensible and paid for it. Why punish him more by demanding that he should never play again? There are players in this league who have killed people. Let him get on with it, I reckon what Donte Stallworth did was worse. It's going to make the Eagles a very interesting team to watch this season.

fisgon wrote: »
    He can be brought in for the wild cat, or as a decoy for the wild cat, or as a bluff, or as a RB or even a wide out. McNabb's position is in no danger, and Vick clearly hasn't been brought in as a starting QB, which he never was really anyway.

I agree, but my problem is, McNabb is one of the only ... no I'm wrong -- he IS the only pocket QB in the league who can do the above. You'd be hearing a completely different argument from me if any other team in the league chose Vick (including the Colts and the Pats), but the one team who have an elite QB who could also get you a first down with his feet, have gone for Vick.

And coincidentally, this is a QB who the Philly fans, and in more recent times, the Philly Coach, has been very harsh against.

Now, I remember thinking last season, when Donovan was benched, that he was a bigger man than me for not saying "screw you Philadelphia", but he brought them well into the Playoff's.

This is a step too far, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

How dare the Eagles bring in a friend of the quarter back who offers something huge in the wildcat and comes dirt cheap and offers more options in the back field.Such a slap in the face for McNabb:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

fisgon wrote: »
    McNabb's position is in no danger, and Vick clearly hasn't been brought in as a starting QB, which he never was really anyway.

Really? Michael Vick was never good enough to start in the NFL?

There are more ways than the Brady-Moss way to win games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

All these "Vick was never a starting QB material" jibes are pretty funny. He was most definitely worthy of being a starting QB in the NFL, and his record as a starter is a long, long way from the worst ever over such a sample size. Just because he wasn't top echelon doesn't mean he was a bad player. You need to be a pretty exceptional athlete to reach league average in any position in the NFL.

Vick is a very good, low risk acquisition. He gives the Eagles options and experience on the bench. Yes, McNabb is a mobile QB, but his body is weather beaten at this stage and his game has transitioned over the years. Vick is much more a "run first" option, and will allow Reid to toy with some wildcat type options. And if Vick isn't up to the job after three years out of the game, if he can't put up with being a back up, then you simply cut him. The amount of money they have guaranteed in that contract (and the cap value) would make such a decision relatively painless.

I'm excited to see what Vick will do going forward. It is well documented that he needs to eke as much money as possible from the remainder of his athletic career, and right now his legacy on and off the field is short of spectacular. He probably has as much motivation as any player around going into this season. And he has (or had at the very least) some tools. Could be fun.

Advertisement