Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to live? any advice please...

• 14-08-2009 3:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

starting 1st year in LIT this sept jus wondrin does anyone hav any advice on where is the best place 2 live as i dont kno anyone else goin 2 LIT,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Thomond is in a rough area. You will have to walk from college when the bus is finished and there are always scumbags hanging around on the road to thomond.

I lived there last year but am getting a house this year

The housing itself used to be ok but its all getting old and rundown. Anything that breaks will not be fixed for a long time. Last year our heating kept breaking and there were some cold nights.

The manager is an a£$hole too and any complaints you have you might as well be talking to a wall.

Last year i paid a €300 deposit and have a guess how much i got back! ....... -€10
    They worked out that we had used an extra €288 in ESB and took the rest in cleaning even though our house was very clean when we left. Its just Thomonds way of getting an extra few € from you when they know you are leaving

I recommend living in Cratloe or Grove Island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm going to Cratloe again...considered Harriston but it's a bit more pricey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

mars bar wrote: »
    I'm going to Cratloe again...considered Harriston but it's a bit more pricey...

I considered Harrisson too, it looks really nice and close to the college too. Houses are good value if you have a few friends to move in with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 char087

thanks 4 dat, is der a bus service or anytin to and from grove island?

Not to and from Grove Island, there are shuttle buses alright but not an assigned bus.
    One of the girls who moved into Cratloe with us last year was out in the ARt College and she had to move into Grove Island, she said it was such a pain goin in and out.

• Advertisement

im being advised 2 go 2 thomand, my cousin went der last year nd goin again dis year, he sed it alrite bu after readin above i dont know wer 2 go....

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

for your first year cratloe is probably the best choice!! Fairly close to college in comparison to grove Island which is about a 25/30 minute walk from the campus!!

I have decided on Cratloe, deposit paid, just wondering is there a shop nearby or how far is it?

Yeah Cratloe Stores is not even a minute from the accommodation. A chipper, off - license and barbers there too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

is it true that the rent for cratloe and thomond has risen from last year>??

• Advertisement

Nope, it's the same. I rang them and asked them not so long ago...

Got my receipt from Cratloe today, reasurring to say the least.

i take it there there is still plenty of room left in cratloe???

I'd say so...

Last year there was a full block of houses empty and there was only 2 of us in one apartment for half of the year. Also took in a 4th year I knew nearing the end of last year...

why do most people choose to live in cratloe?? thomond is far cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ScurfDog

Grove island, its the best craic! Its mostly people from the art college that live there though because its not far from the Clare St. campus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

People choose to live in Cratloe because it's the lesser of two evils. Thomond is an absolute kip. And the manangement screw you with extra charges and you really shouldn't walk from it or to it at night because of where it is. Cratloe avoids, for the most part, Moyross, is closer to the college, the shop, the bus to town...and Thomond is like living in a concentration camp!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

Come live in my house, we have a spare room that were looking to rent, straight across the road from the college, like 1 min walk.:-). have a post about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 1959

so how are ye all settling into your student villages?

heard there is alot of free rooms at the moment with people commuting ?

Yeah because the standard is gone to pots. Cratloe is all for show in first year, I'm in second year now and it took us 5 weeks to get a new microwave. Still have no bins or bed side lockers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

had the same problem with the beside locker and desklamps last year. management told us they had stopped putting them in houses because they kept going missing.

• Advertisement

A few people ruin it for everyone else don't they?!

€4000 for the year, I expect the basics. Like a towel rack or a toilet roll holder. Surely nobody was taking the towel rack off the wall?!

Not all of us are like the trouble makers, I would like to leave my phone beside me on a locker so I can turn off the alarm in the morning and some place to leave my book after I've finished reading it.

Haven't got bins, why the hell would anyone steal a bin anyway?!

When I moved into the house I'm in now, the water was black and smelled absolutely vile, still think it's a bit dirty but can't tell if it's the shade in the kitchen or if it's me being paranoid!

Anyway, I'm gonna try and get out at Christmas. Definitely not going there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 1959

one of the lads thats moving in with me next week left Cratloe, says he hated it!

And he's saving huge money moving out of there, rip off for what you get by the sound of it?

Yeah big time.

I'm gonna learn to drive and maybe move in with my Aunt who lives in Clare. To have a car and pay rent to her will still be cheaper than living in Cratloe. In Cratloe, you're paying for when you aren't there like Christmas and Easter. That's the killer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kolya

Couple of guys in my course were in Cratloe for the last two years. Said it was a dump.

Advertisement