Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car dilemma

• 14-08-2009 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all, I need some info if anyone can help me. Well, today I collected my "new car" (2005) from the garage. The salesman in the garage told me that the car was involved in a "rear shunt" but was repaired....I took the car to my own mechanic for the once over before I bought it and he agreed with the salesman, saying the car had a rear impact but the chassis was fine. I skipped back to the garage to complete the sale. Tonight I logged onto the dealer website to see how much my old car was selling for and I noticed that all of their cars get checked on cartell.ie. I decided to check my new car out on cartell.ie and I see that at some stage of it's life it was classed as a write off........do I need to contact my insurance company now to inform them about the write off situation??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Go back and demand a refund, with a copy of the report in hand. Nothing else, there are plenty of other motors out there. Take no crap either, this car will be a very hard sell afterwards and really isn't worth the hastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

The car was probably declared a write off after the rear shunt, it is common enough for insurance companies to do this. Just because it was a "write off" doesn't mean that it's fcuked, if your mechanic is happy with it let it be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP the correct term is "not economical to repair" i.e. they think its gonna cos 10k to fix but my be worth only 7k when repaired. Plenty of people buy this and fix them cheaper.

The term beyond economical repair does not equal mechanical write off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Did you hit any kerbs, potholes, speedbumps etc too hard since buying the car? That would cause the tires to blow or get damaged.

How long exactly did you buy this car? Its strange that you know how long the warranty is, but not how long ago you bought it. Bare in mind, most warranties only cover engine and gearbox in this kind of situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

OP the correct term is "not economical to repair" i.e. they think its gonna cos 10k to fix but my be worth only 7k when repaired. Plenty of people buy this and fix them cheaper.

The term beyond economical repair does not equal mechanical write off.

It wouldnt bother me buying a car that was dinged but it would want to be a good bit cheaper than one that wasnt otherwise no way. If I was you and your mechanic has passed the car as being grand then I'd go back , kick up a right aul fuss and aim for a high amount off. If the car is ok then its ok but you want it cheaper. If they dont budge then ask for a refund. Im gonna wind up all the other traders on here by saying this but I'd target €1000 minimum off. (sorry guys :D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Stuk48

Thanks Lads,

I got the car about 3 grand cheaper than what they are normally selling for. It drives brilliantly and there isn't a rattle out of it. The gargage put it through the NCT last week and it passed ok. If the damage wasn't repaired to a good standard then I presume it wouldn't have passed the NCT ???

Hopefully I don't get any problems out of it later on down the road !!!!

Cheers..:):)

Advertisement