Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Warranty - New owner

• 14-08-2009 7:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Ive got a nokia e51 and have had a few problems with it. I'm not the original owner and it's still under warranty but I do know the original owner's name.
    Has anyone been in this pickle before ?
    Do you think it worked if I went in to the shop where I bought it from, pretending to be the original owner (they hardly ask for id) and tell them to send it back to my friend (really me) as I'm going on year long trip.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

I'm in oz at the moment so sending it to the MPRC is not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

as long as you have a proof of purchase showing the purchase date that's all you need. Doesn't matter if you are the 1st or the 100th owner so long as its withing 2 years of purchase it will be covered by warranty (these are call your "statutory rights" and applies across the EU).

If you don't have the receipt they can check the IMEI against their database and see when it was purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The consumer connect website suggests the contract is between the owner and the shop so in theory the shop can refuse to deal with you.

I don't see how you'd have any issue really. Any Nokia service centre *should* be able to help you out without the receipt and whatever network you bought it from *should* be able to send it away for repair for you if it was bought in one of their stores.

I wouldn't bother to pretend to be anybody really. I wouldn't bring it up. "Hi, this phone was bought her, it's faulty, I'd like to send it for repair please". Let them look up their system from there. You can provide info to help them find the proof of purchase.

Has a store already turned you away or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

elderlemon wrote: »
    as long as you have a proof of purchase showing the purchase date that's all you need. Doesn't matter if you are the 1st or the 100th owner so long as its withing 2 years of purchase it will be covered by warranty (these are call your "statutory rights" and applies across the EU).

If you don't have the receipt they can check the IMEI against their database and see when it was purchased.

That's actually not true. The only person the shop has any obligation to is the original purchaser because the contract is with him. In reality though you won't come across any shop that will turn someone with a receipt away

And if you bring it to mprc is sandyford you don't need a receipt

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv never been asked to prove when I bought my phone. They know themselves apparently - they had a sign up in my local store telling people there was no need to let them know about the warranty etc. I just hand the phone over, describe the problem, get my docket and head off collecting it when ready. No questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Most phone stores will send it away for you. I've sent away phones for other operators and they come back repaired. All go to the same place anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement