Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E71 or wait for E72

• 14-08-2009 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi,

Am looking to upgrade in the next week or two and have been looking at the E71 which looks like a great phone

I hear that the E72 is due out but am not sure of the release date

Does anyone have any information on this or would you suggest to go ahead with the E71 ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

E72, definately wait for it. See below for the differences:
    Size and mass? E72 is almost the same size as E71, only 2.5 mm wider and 0.1 mm thicker. Additionally E72 is one gram heavier (128g).

Memory? Bigger internal memory (250MB instead of 110 MB), plus support of 16GB memory cards – E71 supports officially cards up to 8 GB.

Connectivity? HSDPA has been accelerated up to 10.2 Mbps instead of 3.6 Mbps, plus HSUPA support (2Mbps) + A-GPS.

Photo features? Better camera, 5 Mpix instead of 3.2 Mpix

Battery performance? While E72 has the same battery (1500 mAh) its estimated standby time increased from 408 to 492 hrs in GSM mode, and 12 hrs 30 min instead of 10 hrs 30 minutes of talk time.

Audio? Standard 3,5 mm mini-jack instead of 2 mm one.

Anything new? Of course E71 runs on Symbian S60 3.2, like E71x, which is different from S60 3.1 installed on E71. Official description tells us about FM radio with RDS support, which was missing in E71, nevertheless it was not clear in case of this phone. Anything missing? I regret it doesn’t have FM transmitter, which I find very useful in N97. New phone will be available in three colors: – Zodium black, Metal grey & Topaz brown and should be released in 3Q of 2009. You can find official Nokia E72 specification in here. What’s your opinion?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'd wait. I have the E71, love it, and plan on upgrading. Though o2 haven't even decided if they are going to sell it yet. Its likely to be fairly pricey though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'd wait too.

I have the e71 and I'd love to upgrade as soon as it comes out, but lack of funds means I'll need to wait until this one dies (and that's not likely any time soon, it's very well built).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newcar

cheers,

Think I will wait so

any idea on a release date ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

newcar wrote: »
    cheers,

Think I will wait so

any idea on a release date ?

The Nokia E72 mobile phone is expected to begin shipping later in the third quarter of 2009 at an estimated retail price of 350 euro (US$491.37) before taxes and subsidies.

Source: http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2009/07/01/nokia-e72-release-date-price-and-features/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Any idea who'll carry it over here? Im hoping 3 do, their plans are better than o2 and vodafone for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Prob all networks will carry e72 since e71 is available on all networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Just a minor correction: e71 DOES take 16 gb memory card! When it was launched, 8gb was the max available, and no manufacturer will 'commit' to a size not actually in existence! The E71 takes 16 gb, and will most def'ly take 32 as well!

Considering how bad the 71's 3.2 mp cam is, I wouldn't expect n95-quality for the 72's 5mp cam - but maybe pokia has a surprise up its sleeve?!

Lets face it: it'll be ages before an irish network gets the e72 - they just released the e63 which came out over a year ago in the civilised world!

And don't be bamboozled by the ever-increasing RAM - sum of that extra juice will be eaten up by feature pack 2, and the hungry new email client! Not to mention that no multitasking has yet managed to crash or slow down my e71!

Also: the e71 is pretty much 'sorted' by now firmware-wise, and it's getting cheaper! On the other hand: 5800, n97 etc have shown that Nokia are well on the Sony Ericsson road when it comes to releasing phones with unfinished firmwares!!! Who knows when - if ever - the E72 will meet the expectations the specs create?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Connectivity? HSDPA has been accelerated up to 10.2 Mbps instead of 3.6 Mbps, plus HSUPA support (2Mbps) + A-GPS.
    :

this would be my reason for waiting, most of the networks will soon have 7.2 / HSUPA so it would be good to have a device that take advantage of the higher rates the networks have to offer, i think 02 and Meteor have 7.2 HSDPA..

i would try and wait though if you can, i have an e71 and it's a great phone, cant recommend it highly enough, not many major changes on 72 but main one is the new connectivity features that i would be interested in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

HSDPA speeds, up to a certain point, are negligible on a mobile device, as a lot of users are viewing mobile versions of websites, as opposed to their full HTML counterparts, and won't be downloading anywhere near as much as they would on a computer to necessitate such speeds. Even when users are viewing full HTML websites on a handset, going from 3.6 to 7.2 or even 10.2 Mbps will hardly bare a significantly noticeable change in speed. Adding to this the fact that increased HSDPA speeds equals reduced battery life and I'm sure some of you are starting to see the bigger picture.

See below for a comparison of the mobile operators' current HSDPA networks' speed* and why you'll need to choose your network carefully if you still want to avail of those "up to" 10.2 Mbps HSDPA connection speeds.

(from slowest to fastest)

3 = up to 3.6 Mbps
    Vodafone= up to 3.6 Mbps
    O2 = up to 7.2 Mbps
    Meteor = up to 14.4 Mbps

*based on information sourced from mobile operators' websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

strecker wrote: »
    Lets face it: it'll be ages before an irish network gets the e72 - they just released the e63 which came out over a year ago in the civilised world!

Will it really be a long time after release?

Im really considering just going for the e71 as I need a new phone. If its going to be like a year until a network picks the 72 up I might as well just get the 71 and upgrade a while after the 72 comes out.

Can anyone tell me whats the browsing like on the 71? Hows the movement around pages with the D-pad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Mad_Max wrote: »

Im really considering just going for the e71 as I need a new phone. If its going to be like a year until a network picks the 72 up I might as well just get the 71 and upgrade a while after the 72 comes out.

Can anyone tell me whats the browsing like on the 71? Hows the movement around pages with the D-pad?

I really won t try and guess re release date...
    Browsing is excellent. The e71's dpad's possibly the best I've used. And I've used a few phones. Even the smallish screen doesn't hamper the experience because it's very crisp; works well even in direct sunlight;
    The built-in browser supports most flash video (youtube etc) although I prefer opera mini for speedier browsing. And despite the qwerty, the e71 can be nicely used one-handed (I came to it via a Treo Pro and an E61...plus an iPhone I love to hate) I honestly prefer surfing the net on the e71 over the iphone - although my eyes aren't the best LOL

Another thing re the 72: it'll have an optical dpad - sth else to 'worry' about!

I'd honestly go for the 71 and then in a year or so get a 72 - when fw is sorted and the dpad has proven useable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mad_Max wrote: »

The E72 will be more high profile and launched a lot quicker by the networks. Its probably the second highest launch for nokia behind the n97.

Its due for release at the end of sept, so realistically for sale by irish operators end of nov/early december.

Advertisement