Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Scummy Greyhounds'

• 14-08-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

watched the TG4 Programme Hector san Oz (Hector in Australia) last night.

The gentleman in Oz was telling him how to deal with wild dingo's.

Hector retorted, Same as we deal with 'Scummy Greyhounds in Ireland' when they come out of the woods, Roooar at them and they run away.

Please send your opinions to:

padhraic.o.ciardha@tg4.ie

This is what we sent:

Dear Padhraic

It is with Dismay that I watched the TG4 Programme Hector san Oz last night.

Hector retorted, Same as we deal with 'Scummy Greyhounds in Ireland' when they come out of the woods, Roooar at them and they run away.

We, like many in Animal welfare, have spent many years promoting the welfare of greyhounds, not to mention, promoting them as pets.
    These majestic creatures are such gentle & affectionate companion animals and usually only percived by the public as 'Racing Machines'

To have a 'personality' such as Hector, describe them as 'scummy greyhounds' that live in the woods, is a national disgrace.

I would appreciate it if you could pass on my sentiments to him.

Yours

Gina Hetherington

PAWS Animal Rescue
    www.paws.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

OMG, what is it with this Dope! :eek:
    He encourages the horse racing industry and greyhound industry in Irland but has clearly demonstrated in that comment that he actually has no compassion for the animals whatsoever!:mad:

I am shocked that he would use the word scummy to describe them, he is obvioulsy quite ignorant towards the breed if this is the case and is another person who sees them as running machines and a business rather than a real animal

Shocked and furious by that!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

Please mail them and let them know how you feel ;)

In the middle of it right now, not a chance should this go un-noticed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hector being the annoying ginger twat you only see in TG4? This wouldn't be the first time he has acted so retarded.

the_syco wrote: »
    Hector being the annoying ginger twat you only see in TG4? This wouldn't be the first time he has acted so retarded.

Yip, this twat!
    Suerly he should be acting as an example for the country when abroad and making little of a breed of dog like this just shows his true character.

He has really come across in a bad light here as he has just conveyed another area he is so fr!gging ignorant to. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In all fairness people, it may not have been in the right taste but I think he was trying to be humourous.

Therefore it's a little bit much for TG4 to be bombarded with emails IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Niall1975

Hector o' hEochagain more like Hector o' ****again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lemlin wrote: »
    In all fairness people, it may not have been in the right taste but I think he was trying to be humourous.

Therefore it's a little bit much for TG4 to be bombarded with emails IMO.

Oh great so every time some idiot suggest that dogs are just scum we have a good laugh.

10,000 Greyhounds would not agree as they are slaughtered every year. But of course Hector couldn't object as TG4 broadcasts Greyhound Racing. Maybe Hector would do a free program on all the rescues who could feel the results of his remarks as even more unwanted Greyhound's arrive.

Anyone who wishes to pass on their comments to Hector can do so here:

http://www.hector.ie/hector_contact.php

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Hector is a fool ,Thanks peter for the link will be telling hi, exactly what i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hmmm i was going to say this was a bit OTT because even though he 's a ginger tool it was only a joke but this discussion has me interested, tim for google.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    Hmmm i was going to say this was a bit OTT because even though he 's a ginger tool it was only a joke but this discussion has me interested, tim for google.

If you google you will get two versions:

The Irish Greyhound Board will tell you that the dogs have a wonderful life & get retired to doggy wonderland. They will also say that, when a litter of puppies is born, they all go on to be champions & that if any are no good for racing they get rehomed.

Then you might find some truth like this 10,000 dead dogs on one farm :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-396015/The-killing-fieldsof-10-000-greyhounds-old-race.html

Many of these dogs were shipped from Ireland. But they are just "Scummy Greyhounds". The facts are that for every dog that you see racing there are about 100 dead. Are breeders going to feed & care for a dog that is no good for racing ?. Do you see hundreds of Greyhounds as pets ?. So where do all the puppies go ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

On a positive note for Greyhounds the Limerick Animal Welfare rehome and care for many unwanted Greyhounds.
    They do a feature on them :)

www.limerickanimalwelfare.com

Discodog wrote: »
    Oh great so every time some idiot suggest that dogs are just scum we have a good laugh.

10,000 Greyhounds would not agree as they are slaughtered every year. But of course Hector couldn't object as TG4 broadcasts Greyhound Racing. Maybe Hector would do a free program on all the rescues who could feel the results of his remarks as even more unwanted Greyhound's arrive.

Anyone who wishes to pass on their comments to Hector can do so here:

http://www.hector.ie/hector_contact.php

Hector isn't to blame for all those greyhounds though, is he? If you want to channel your energy into something, then use it to get out there and make a difference. Sitting here sending emails isn't going to do alot.

Has anyone even got a response?

I also doubt his comments are going to affect the amount of unwanted greyhounds that arrive at the rescues.

His remark was tongue in cheek I'd imagine. I didn't see the show but I'm still of the view that people are going over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Directing your fury at Hector or TG4 is the wrong address.

As long as the Greyhound racing "industry" keeps receiving millions in governement aid despite the proven animal cruelty that's going on in this "business", you're quite frankly pi**ing in the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Have to agree with Peasant on this one. I'm a believer in picking your fights - it was a stupid comment, but it would be better to join Anvil and campaign for better animal welfare legislation in this country, if you really care about greyhound treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I also doubt his comments are going to affect the amount of unwanted greyhounds that arrive at the rescues.

While his remarks may not be the reason so many greyhounds arrive in rescues, it is this type of attitude that means they end up staying unwanted in rescues or being rehomed outside of Ireland. While there may not have been much thought or real malice behind the comment, I can see why people who work hard to rehome greyhounds here in Ireland would be annoyed.

I come across this type of attitude about greyhounds all too often and it is flippant remarks such as this that contribute to the general perception here that they are vicious killing machines who could never be pets. :rolleyes:

I don't see any harm in someone emailing him to express their disappointment at his comments in a polite manner or educating him on the facts regarding 'scummy greyhounds'.

A lot of work has to be done to change the attitude of people in this country to greyhounds so why not start with someone who is in the media and used this platform to make a stupid, unfunny and ill educated comment about greyhounds.

Educating the public in little ways like this are just another way of getting the message out there and can be done in tandem with more organised campaigning and educating such as what Anvil do. Its all constructive if done correctly and politely and whose to say the people doing it aren't also members of Anvil and campaigning for greyhound welfare. Just because some people aren't interested in emailing him why do they have to criticise others for doing something they obviously feel passionate about. Its all relative and all counts towards the bigger picture of helping the greyhounds.

And even through this thread being started, someone (Calhoun) has stated that they thought it was OTT but it got them thinking and they have gone off to do some research on the subject, so maybe thats one more person who is now aware of the welfare issues surrounding greyhound racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

In fairness it seemed to be said in jest.

I think referencing slaughtered greyhounds is a bit OTT, not that I'm denying the fact that there are dogs killed for no good reason but I'd be quite sure he'd apologise as I don't think he meant any offense.

Hector isn't to blame for all those greyhounds though, is he? If you want to channel your energy into something, then use it to get out there and make a difference. Sitting here sending emails isn't going to do alot.

I have two rescued sighthounds, I volunteer at a local rescue & I have been actively involved in rescues for over 20 years !. People like Hector & Channels like TG4 who openly promote & encourage people to attend races are partly to blame. Everyone in the media is scared to portray the real situation incase it damages their income.

If celebrities like Hector were to come out in support of the dogs who earn them money & promote welfare it could make a huge difference to the way that sighthounds are perceived.

Ms Fifers: I am an active member of ANVIL & have been lobbying for the Animal Welfare Bill which I suspect will never see the light of day. Now if everyone who cared emailed their TD it might stand more of a chance.

Vel: Totally agree. Well said.

ARAN are having a a week of action against Greyhound racing from the 24th to 30th of August. Details on their website.

veXual wrote: »
    In fairness it seemed to be said in jest.

I think referencing slaughtered greyhounds is a bit OTT, not that I'm denying the fact that there are dogs killed for no good reason but I'd be quite sure he'd apologise as I don't think he meant any offense.

Yea maybe your right. It's so unfair to ruin a nice family night at the dogs by reminding people of the truth.

What would you call it when a farmer kills 10,000 Greyhounds if not slaughter ?.

Discodog wrote: »
    Yea maybe your right. It's so unfair to ruin a nice family night at the dogs by reminding people of the truth.

What would you call it when a farmer kills 10,000 Greyhounds if not slaughter ?.

I don't think Hector had anything to do with 10,000 greyhounds being slaughtered on a farm. I'm not fan of the man but you've taken his one tongue in cheek comment and now moved the conversation to a whole new level by referencing it back to what was a terrible atrocity.

That said, different people have different opinions. Greyhounds, like alot of other animals, are bred for a purpose. Do you write an email every time someone slaughters a chicken?

Do you write an email everytime someone parades a springer spaniel around a show ring? Was a springer spaniel bred for showing? Is that what you think the springer spaniel wants?

I'm not of the opinion above but I think some people are going way OTT on this thread for one throw away comment.
    I come across this type of attitude about greyhounds all too often and it is flippant remarks such as this that contribute to the general perception here that they are vicious killing machines who could never be pets.

I've never ever heard a greyhound described as a vicious killing machine. I have a friend who had a retired greyhound and kept it years and it was anything but. Sadly the dog had to be put to sleep when it became too old and was in poor health.

I also don't see how his flippant remark has added to the perceived problem you speak of that I've never heard about. If anything, you have probably now doubled the amount of people who heard the comment because the TG4 show probably had above 5 viewers anyway.

I'll bid you adieu now as I'm bowing out of this one.

• Advertisement

I Greyhounds, like alot of other animals, are bred for a purpose.

Do you write an email everytime someone parades a springer spaniel around a show ring? Was a springer spaniel bred for showing? Is that what you think the springer spaniel wants?

I've never ever heard a greyhound described as a vicious killing machine.

Bred for a purpose ?. What to be abused & then slaughtered in their thousands ?.

A Springer Spaniel in a show ring is not going to be killed just because it is of no value unlike a Greyhound.

Then why do the Government make laws to say that Greyhounds should be muzzled & not walked in large groups or let off the lead.

The appalling situation for Greyhounds is actually made worse by the ignorance of lawmakers.

I've never ever heard a greyhound described as a vicious killing machine.

Well I think its safe to say that you don't have a pet greyhound because as someone who does this is exactley the type of crap that I hear on a day to day basis. Maybe if you were subject to the remarks and negative attention you would realise why some of us are so annoyed about the way the greyhound is portrayed and viewed as a direct result of the type of comment Hector made.

In the greater scheme of things, no his comment was not the worst thing in the world and was probably said without thinking, but equally educating on the matter isn't that big a deal also so why are you so against those of us with an interest in the issue having our say? No one is saying that you should be emailing him as you obviously don't feel its necessary but why do someone down for having a passion?:(

Maybe if your breed of choice was demonised so much in the media and by the general public you might feel a little differently.

Something has to be done to change the majority of the Irish public's mindset about greyhounds, so why not begin by starting with someone who has made stupid comments about them. I don't think anyone is saying he is solely responsible of the mass slaughter of greyhounds and is a big bad animal killer or anything like that!

I think there are two slightly different disucussions going on in this thread (although they are all linked at the end of the day), the issue of the overbreeding and abuse of greyhounds and then the issue of how his comments may affect the rehoming of them as pets/how they are viewed by the general public. Thats what I was responding to. Lets not get bogged down in whether racing is right or wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

GinaH wrote: »
    watched the TG4 Programme Hector san Oz (Hector in Australia) last night.

Please send your opinions to:

padhraic.o.ciardha@tg4.ie

This is what we sent:

Dear Padhraic

It is with Dismay that I watched the TG4 Programme Hector san Oz last night.

We, like many in Animal welfare, have spent many years promoting the welfare of greyhounds, not to mention, promoting them as pets.
    These majestic creatures are such gentle & affectionate companion animals and usually only percived by the public as 'Racing Machines'

To have a 'personality' such as Hector, describe them as 'scummy greyhounds' that live in the woods, is a national disgrace.

I would appreciate it if you could pass on my sentiments to him.

Yours

Gina Hetherington

PAWS Animal Rescue
    www.paws.ie

You can judge how civilised a nation is by the way it treats its animals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

And with that rather mysterious reawakening of a 5+ year old thread, I think it's time to put it out of its misery and close it.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement