Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irelands Biggest Fleet

• 14-08-2009 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Just pondering who has the largest fleet in Ireland.

Few contenders that sprang to mind

1) ESB
    2) Leaseplan
    3) Gardai
    4) HSE

Anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭louis346789

Slidey wrote: »

1) ESB
    2) Leaseplan
    3) Gardai
    4) HSE

Anyone know for sure?

i would add in An Post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

CIE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

1) ESB

Anyone know for sure?

2700 as per their 2007 release

http://www.esb.ie/downloads/about_esb/2007/esb-annual-report-complete-2007.pdf

God Im bored.

LEASEPLAN They have 10,500

AN POST 3000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Nearly every An Post van I have ever tested is owned by Leaseplan thats why I put them in. They also do the Guinness vans

• Advertisement

Ah so the figures are skewed slightly.

We should assume that nobody is going to beat the Leaseplan figure.

My own company leases vehicles through them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most of the An Post vans are leased to An Post from by Leaseplan. I'd also be inclined to think that Leaseplan have the largest fleet.

I was kinda thinking that alright.

They have very good maintenance procedures in place with the Kangoos they have leased. I think the discs get changed every 2nd set of pads regardless of condition.

If you were talking privately owned I wonder who would it be?

I know Nolan Transport has a huge number of trailers as well as tractor units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Another vote for LeasePlan - I can't think of a single other fleet that's as big as theirs.

That being said, they're a fleet management company - that's probably cheating in some shape or form...

If An Post have one of the largest fleets (2,500ish, iirc), do they get the credit or do LP? If LP win the Gardai contract too does that move the fleet from the Gardai to LP?

The bigger private fleets in Ireland are guys like Diageo, Hibernian, Royal Liver etc. Generally if they're a multinational with a large sales force, they'll have a big fleet.

If you're wondering who has the largest fleet you may want to define your parameters, otherwise the answer is as simple as LeasePlan... :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

According to the 2007 Garda annual report (on their website), the Garda fleet had 2500 including cars, motorbikes, jeeps, vans and trucks.
    AFAIK, that figure has risen slightly since but not by much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1) ESB
    2) Leaseplan
    3) Gardai
    4) HSE

Anyone know for sure?

HSE's will be relatively small actually.

A proportion (I've no idea how big!) of their ambulances are on hire/wet lease from private firms rather than owned; seems the directly owned HSE fleet is only about 300. The 2008 annual report claims they have 350 vehicles of all kinds available to the NAS but this includes the contractors. You'll actually see more non-HSE ambulances around in general when you count the volunteer groups, private ones and Civil Defence.

The other large enough and fairly visible HSE "fleet" is the cold chain for distributing vaccines - and this is United Drug under contract.
    They (the HSE) provide cars for extremely rural doctors / public health nurses; and I'd expect there are company cars but I wouldn't think they own over a thousand vehicles.

The HSEs mileage bill was known in the industry for being insane - its over 60 million a year - so it seems that even some fairly high usage staff aren't in HSE vehicles.

(finally! a post on Motors related to work! justifies all the hours I've spent on here during the day...)

Ah cool to know.

The reason I taught they owned them is the amount of those hateful new Sprinters that are all registered in Kildare for some reason that come into work.

The VLC has the registered owner as the HSE on them.

Yeah, all the HSE's own ambulances are registered in Kildare. I have no idea why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

MYOB wrote: »
    HSE's will be relatively small actually.

A proportion (I've no idea how big!) of their ambulances are on hire/wet lease from private firms rather than owned; seems the directly owned HSE fleet is only about 300. The 2008 annual report claims they have 350 vehicles of all kinds available to the NAS but this includes the contractors. You'll actually see more non-HSE ambulances around in general when you count the volunteer groups, private ones and Civil Defence.

day...)

The hse only operates its own vehicles, in some areas they have privates filling the gaps on a contract basis, but its private staff un them aswell! The privates usually only do routine patient transfer work.

Around 350 would sound right though, about 50 of them are personal cars for ambulance officers, who each get their own car :p

Such as this one; http://www.flickr.com/photos/trooper999/3594924349/

or

http://www.flickr.com/photos/medic112/3505196117/

Remember that the hse dont do emergency calls for most of dublin aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

AFAIK, the Gardai actually cant purchase vehicles from any one company. They have to remain impartial for some reason. Instead they will buy their cars direct from the manufacturer.

Leaseplan would have the biggest number of cars on the road, but as Chris pointed out, they're in that business anyhow. We have around 2500 cars out on the road at the minute.

For me, the big boys would be An Post, Diageo, and DCC. They have around 250 cars out with us alone at the minute.

DCC as in Dublin City Council or as in the company that does random stuff from Kelkin popcorn to Emo filling stations?

I'd have thought the latter would have more than 250 vehicles in its total fleet if it is them!

timmywex wrote: »
    The hse only operates its own vehicles, in some areas they have privates filling the gaps on a contract basis, but its private staff un them aswell! The privates usually only do routine patient transfer work.

Yeah, thats what a "wet lease" is - you hire the entire operation, in this case ambulance, driver and paramedics. Term is usually used for planes where you get the pilots and trolly dollies too.
    timmywex wrote: »
    Remember that the hse dont do emergency calls for most of dublin aswell!

I had that in an earlier, even longer and more rambling draft of that post. Are there any other areas where there's a combined fire and ambulance service?

Mentioning fire services some of the bigger county councils must have fairly large fleets between road mainto / housing services / water / possibly waste / fire vehicles / mobile libraries / etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

MYOB wrote: »
    DCC as in Dublin City Council or as in the company that does random stuff from Kelkin popcorn to Emo filling stations?

I'd have thought the latter would have more than 250 vehicles in its total fleet if it is them!

As in Dublin City Council. The probably have more than that, but thats all we deal with, so I wouldnt know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

EIRCOM ?

Dont think so, their fleet is drastically reduced as a lot of their work is subcontracted out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

HSE vehicles bear 'KE' plates because their HQ is in Co. Kildare.

Another large fleet operator not mentioned yet - The Irish Defence Forces (incl Army, Navy and Air Corps vehicles). They recently took delivery of LWB Pajeros to replace their Nissan Patrols ....plus new armoured jeeps are on order.

Some of their fleet ....

120 x Mowag Piranha APC's
    13 x Scorpion Tanks
    13 x Ford F350 (Left hand drive) jeeps

Ranger Wings F350's in action...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

sort of on the same theme, why are so many of these An Post/Eircom and council vehicles bought and registered around Christmas. The vehicles all have high regs, eg 08 D 76987. Is it to make those targets that the SIMI and others speculate at the beginning of the year? Wouldnt it make sense to buy and register these vehicles the previous January?

G Luxel wrote: »
    sort of on the same theme, why are so many of these An Post/Eircom and council vehicles bought and registered around Christmas. The vehicles all have high regs, eg 08 D 76987. Is it to make those targets that the SIMI and others speculate at the beginning of the year? Wouldnt it make sense to buy and register these vehicles the previous January?

Can sometimes get better deals even on new vehicles that time of year as a dealer tries to reach an annual target, yes.

That and theres the concept of "ahh, we've money left in the budget. Better spend it!" ;)

Advertisement