Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horrible leg cramps

• 14-08-2009 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

I'm am killed with leg cramps :eek: A good few nights I've been woken up with a horrible stbbing pain behind my knee. Its 60secs of incredible pain and then it just goes :mad: I've read that it means there is a build up of lactic acid in my muscles :confused: but I can't find a remedy. HELP

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've seen most people advising flexing your foot up towards your knee to get rid of it faster. I haven't seen any remedies other than birth though!

I'm not looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Hi guys... I think I posted about this a while ago when I was in the second tri... I woke up a few nights, literally screaming with agony and grabbing himself with the pain!!:D I was told to drink tonic water (without the gin unfortunately!;)) quinine (sp?) is in it and is meant to help.
    Like I said, it only happened the odd time but the pain made it very memorable... and Das Kitty, you're totally right, stretching your foot towards you and NOT away from you helps, as does getting up and walking about a bit. Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Hey janbaby, i remember those horrible pains :mad: and as far as i can remember i got baby's dad to rub back of my legs where pain was or get up and try to walk a bit.

I can remember people telling me to try this but honestly i cant remember it doing much good i guess for some people it did, i just tried to keeping it wouldnt last like all the other not so nice stuff that comes with being pregnant

Best of luck with everything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

janbaby, this happened to me and was as you say, until mil told me to just stretch my leg out onto the wooden floor an put foot flat on the floor, it disapears completely but hope you havv wooden floors, i think its the hard cold that does it but please try it. it got to the stage with me that i was doin it in my sleep, just slidin down the bad and wakin up at the end of the bed but it works so well, hope it helps you

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Chuchu wrote: »
    I was told to drink tonic water (without the gin unfortunately!;)) quinine (sp?) is in it and is meant to help.
    Just a note, quinine in higher doses is not recommended in pregnancy. A glass once in a while is no harm but you shouldn't be drinking litres of it or taking tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Yes I should have mentioned that, I only took a small (mini mixer?) can the next day... I'm taking it for granted that during pregnancy everyone would check up on things before taking them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

Thanks a million for all the replies. They flipping hurt, I would wake in the middle of the night screaming with the pain. Have started stretching my legs before I got to bed, just for a few second and havent had a cramp since. I'm hoping this does the trick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Yep, horrible things those, not a pleasant way to wake up!
    Do as the divers do, grab your foot (if you still can:D) while keeping your leg stretched out on the bed to stretch the muscle out - pain should go in 5 - 10 seconds.
    Supposedly bananas can help prevent muscle cramps as they are high in potassium & help maintain the correct electrolyte balance in the body.

Advertisement