Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

print resolutions

• 14-08-2009 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

I thought i would make a useful little card, I am going to have them printed as postcards. but for now i have put it on my website

its a pdf with a table of common photo sizes and pixel resolutions required at various pixel per inch

anyway, its here

print res

please let me know if you find it useful, and also if you see anything either wrong or what would you like to see be added

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I thought 300 was the highest the human can distinguish? Can you see a clear difference at 360 dpi too?

And I guess 180 would be your recommended "minimum" for prints that will be subjected to close-ish inspection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Thanks steve. I guess it's handy as a quick reference and also for those who don't have photoshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the reason i use 360 is its the native resolution of epson printers, if you give them a 300, they do interpolation, and at bigger sizes it can be noticeable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

What's the original ppi of a photo?I thought it was 72dpi?Whats that in PPI? :eek:

ah ok

ppi is pixels per inch - this is the number of pixels per inch in your digital file

dpi is the dots per inch, number of dots printed per inch by the printer

you should supply files to your printer ideally at the native resolution of the printers, so for my epsons its 3600 ppi, for canon and hp its 300

hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Ricky91t wrote: »
    What's the original ppi of a photo?I thought it was 72dpi?Whats that in PPI? :eek:

A photo doesn't have a PPI/DPI as such.
    It only has a resolution in pixels e.g. 1024 x 768.
    So if you have a photo straight from camera that is say 3000 x 2000 and open it in your editing software, then any PPI/DPI value displayed is purely arbitrary, and has no relationship to the actual original image.

However, when you come to print it, that's when the DPI value comes in - and where Steve's table comes into play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ah, I see. I'm very much a greenhorn when it comes to the realm of printing, thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Nice one Steve. One thing before you print off 1000's of them, dimensions is spelled wrong - :DDimesions

doh

i cant spell for toffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Nice one Steve. One thing before you print off 1000's of them, dimensions is spelled wrong - :DDimesions

And so are canvas and acrylic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Cameraman wrote: »
    And so are canvas and acrylic ;)

doh!

I can't proofread for toffee :D

hey everyone

I have printed a whole bunch of these as postcards

anyone who wants one, send me your details and will send one to ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Suggest you look at spelling again.

Dimension was spelt correctly 1st time.

Sorry Steve, hope you can cancel print job

ah its right on the cards, its just on the pdf, which i just havent got round to changing yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

just looking at that PDF.

so, ideally you'd want a 3660x2880 resolution picture just to print a 10x8 print ??

i have a picture here i want to print up, its 4700x3200 resolution (approx) - its an 18mb file and taken with a 15mp camera.

i was thinking of getting it maybe printed at 24x20.... according to your site i'd need double my resolution for that to print up well ????? how on earth does one take a photo with that kind of file size ?? does the 5dmk2 even produce 8500x7200 resolution photos ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Say if I was printing a 10x8, I should resize an image to that resolution before printing if it is over that resolution and if it is under that also?

well it kind of depends on a few factors

size, resolution, the image, what paper its being on printed on

for example i have a sample acrylic mounted print which was shot with my 30d, it upscaled it to 24*20 and it looks fine, 99.99% of people wouldnt be able to see the scaling

a good example is i printed to canvaes recently for a client, they were 38" on the short side, so around 55 on the long

one of them was a 1Mb jpg image, now its no work of art, but stood away from it, it did look very good

so what it says in the pdf, is in the IDEAL world, you should always try printing at the native resolution of the printer, and the best practice would be to do the scaling in photoshop, rather than allowing the print driver to do it for you.

if you dont print at the native resolution, the print driver does scaling anyway

Advertisement