Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy your next Porsche at the VW dealers

• 14-08-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

They gambled high and lost it all ....Porsche is to become yet another brand of Volkswagen
    VW agrees Porsche merger details

Porsche has been hit hard by the global recession
    Volkswagen (VW) and Porsche have agreed the details under which VW will merge with its German compatriot by 2011.

Under the deal, VW will initially buy a 42% stake in Porsche by the end of this year for 3.3bn euros ($4.7bn; £2.8bn).

The deal ends months of acrimony between the two firms, and concludes Porsche's failed efforts to buy VW.

Over the past year Porsche built up major debts to get a 51% stake in VW, only to fall short of the required 75% when it could not raise more funds.

Funding failure

Porsche's failure to buy VW saw the firm's former chief executive Wendelin Wiedeking and financial director Holger Haerter resign "with immediate effect" last month.

Porsche is a real enrichment for our company's portfolio

VW chief executive Martin Winterkorn
    It failed to raise the funds to increase its shareholding in VW above 51% due to the impact of both the global credit crunch and the slump in global car sales.

Porsche will now effectively become the 10th brand in the VW family, joining the likes of Audi, Seat and Skoda.

However, VW has pledged to maintain Porsche's "independence".

It added that VW would "preserve" its own "solid financial base".

The deal values Porsche at 12.4bn euros.

'New era'

VW chief executive Martin Winterkorn said the announcement marked "a new era" for the two firms.

"Porsche is a real enrichment for our company's portfolio," he said.

Mr Winterkorn added that the Porsche and Piech families will be the largest shareholders in the merged firm.

Meanwhile, VW's home state of Lower Saxony, which owns a 20% stake in the firm, will retain the right to block important decisions

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8200648.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

probably not the worst news, look what VAG have done with Lambo, it's like lambo are having an indian summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ferdi P. (Piech not Porsche) is the daddy - we should have known that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

So, how long before people get told "Sure your Cayman is just a dolled up Audi TT. . ."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

whippet wrote: »
    probably not the worst news, look what VAG have done with Lambo, it's like lambo are having an indian summer.
    Lamo's sales figures are through the roof at the moment! It's great :)
    mcauley wrote: »
    So, how long before people get told "Sure your Cayman is just a dolled up Audi TT. . ."
    I hate that attitude! You never hear people saying "sure and Enzo is just a tarted up Fiat" but for some reason other manufacturers get it in the neck.

A while ago I was out in a Gallardo and when I stepped out a friend said "So how's the Audi?", I looked at his Elise and said "A lot better than your Rover!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So how long before it's true?;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm just waiting for them to drop the 1.9 TDI paraffin stove into the Boxster. That will warrant at least 4 "Red I's" on the badge and maybe a red exclamation mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

[Sarcasim mode on]

Oh sweet Jesus, now the TDi brigade and going to bang on about how their cars are Porsche derived :rolleyes:

As if things wern't bad enough already, how about a 911 tdi (shure ya can chip it for an extra 30brake!!!)

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

The only brigade I see around the motors forum these days is the anti-TDI brigade tbh.

Alfa-bashing has been replaced by TDI-bashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Not the worst new either IMO.Past the recession, i think porsche's models are looking up. I even quite like the look of the new cayenne

cayenne003.jpg
    Robbo wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for them to drop the 1.9 TDI paraffin stove into the Boxster. That will warrant at least 4 "Red I's" on the badge and maybe a red exclamation mark.

Have you not heard, the antiquated 1.9 is gone. It is not being put in any more new models, any new models are getting a 1.6 CR or 2.0 CR. I really wish people will get over the hatred of the 1.9, it is now in the past!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

[Sarcasim mode on]

Oh sweet Jesus, now the TDi brigade and going to bang on about how their cars are Porsche derived :rolleyes:

As if things wern't bad enough already, how about a 911 tdi (shure ya can chip it for an extra 30brake!!!)

[sarcasm]

Ah and then there's the extra torque

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Cionád wrote: »
    The only brigade I see around the motors forum these days is the anti-TDI brigade tbh.

Alfa-bashing has been replaced by TDI-bashing.

At least there's logic to the new bashing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

gt3tdi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

[Sarcasim mode on]

That's marketing for you. How many extra Mk1 Ibizas do you think SEAT sold because it said "System Porsche" down the side?

Now excuse me while I go order a Panamera 1.8T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

[Sarcasim mode on]

Heroditas wrote: »
    [sarcasm]

Ah and then there's the extra torque

:D

ho-ho, but this has even more ! which'll bring out the zanussi/fridge/applicance jokes.........batteries not included !!

OP - we've been here before.........

501875358_Ty8D5-M.jpg

501875498_VWgw7-M.jpg

501875499_n7u3Z-M.jpg

which, years later, morphed into this, so it's not all bad. Just give it 15 years !! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Actually - It'd be great if you could buy a Porsche at your local VW dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Wait until you're stuck in the back of a taxi listening to the driver drone on about how he bought his Skoda at a Porsche dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

steve06 wrote: »
    I hate that attitude! You never hear people saying "sure and Enzo is just a tarted up Fiat" but for some reason other manufacturers get it in the neck.

How many Fiats share platforms or engines with the Enzo?

Theres a difference between calling a Lamborghini a VW because they are owned by the same people and say calling a VW a Seat when they share a lot of parts.

Calling a Rover 620 an Accord is perfectly valid seeing as everything bar the shape of the external body panels is the same.
    smcgiff wrote: »
    Actually - It'd be great if you could buy a Porsche at your local VW dealer.

Yeah, nothing lets you feel your in a higher class when dropping a couple of hundred grand on a car than the guy beside you buying his new VW fox :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Stekelly wrote: »

Yeah, nothing lets you feel your in a higher class when dropping a couple of hundred grand on a car than the guy beside you buying his new VW fox :)

That wouldn't bother me in the least. What would, however, is if I was picking up my bog standard 911 and another person was also picking up their GT3 car at the same time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

gt3tdi.jpg

I was gonna make that joke as soon as i saw this thread. :mad:

Advertisement