Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate treasure hunt

• 14-08-2009 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, don't know how I never found this before...
    basically, its a large scale treasure hunt, you zoom into an area near you and find a location, you then get a clue as to where exactly something is and you have to find it.
    A mate of mine found one already, it was a tube with names and a pencil, stuck to the back of a railing in leixlip train station. you just sign your name and put it back!

Other things include maps, clues to somewhere else, etc etc

im going looking today and will take a few photos.

get yourself on to this :pac:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=53.35803080300195&lng=-6.480882167816162&zm=12&mt=m

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think that's Geo-Caching.

You use a GPS to find the various Caches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Yep it is! the clue is in the link :p

you dont have to use GPS though, it gives you the locations and when you do find coordinates you can just go back to the site and pop them in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Well done Tallon - see you got your first!
    Have you joined the forum yet?

Thanks man. First of many I hope, I went looking for one today in celbridge with a mate but couldnt find it. will have to try again

i havn't signed up to the forums as of yet, are you on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Where is the photo oppurtunity in this?

• Advertisement

Just geocachingireland.com
    Friendly bunch of lads! Trying to get my head around going "paperless", using my laptop and an old PDA I had lying around. I'm using a TomTom car sat nav, which usually gets me to within 8-10 feet.

I haven't been to Celbridge yet. Therse's another one in Leixlip, and two in Maynooth.
    I'll keep an eye out for your sig!

If only I had my camera with me atm!
    I've been to Kilkenny Castle - first time!
    Moone High Cross - first time!
    Truely spectacular spot beside a lake, up a mountain in Tyrone!

Need I go on?????

These things are usually left in places "off the beaten track", and I'm seeing places I definitely wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Even train stations have their charm :D
    (Unless it's lashing rain - like today!)

Well, for example. Im organising a trip with the lads in work next month. doing a road trip up to LoughKey for the weekend and have 40+ caches plaaned both along the way and when we get there.

I'm going to be documenting the trip (obviously) and Its gonna be great crack.

As Mrmac says, these things are hidden in some pretty off the beat tracks

Tallon wrote: »
    .... Im organising a trip with the lads in work next month. doing a road trip up to LoughKey for the weekend and have 40+ caches plaaned both along the way and when we get there. .....

Have fun - they're not all so handy!
    Looking forward to seeing the shots.

You likey the new sig, eh?

mrmac wrote: »

You likey the new sig, eh?

No, I hate you!

• Advertisement

No, I hate you!

:p:D :P

Right so, I'm slowly gaining on Mrmac :p

I went Caching with my nephew yesterday and had a brilliant day

I had the choice today of going shopping with the OH or going Geocaching with my camera. After a long and careful decision, I went for the Later. had an amazing day, It rained as I drove and stopped when I got out, couldn't have asked for better :)

Anyway, Heres a few shots from my outing, hope you like them!

This is Tom Freeman, a lovely man I met while walking the Naas canal with my camera & PSP/GPS. He was very intrigued by what I was doing and even signed the log book. He was adiment that he was going to look for the others so I gave him the Web address. Another member successfully recruited

4690A655497946CD8D14D8DF347665FA-500.jpg

And heres the cache we found

A1FE7EEA7A72442B967948FC86C5A3B7-500.jpg

The next one was on the canal again, but this time was being watched by A load of Muggles. After being attacked by three swans and a goose no less I seen this little fella, He was to terrified to move so let me snap away :)

0A938A0A098D4A9A816277462E4847A4-500.jpg
    In the end I never found this one :(

Heres my Nephew finding one yesterday with me, this was his FTF, He's now got 4

CD1325BF76EE4A8CA08644B02C0B5067-500.jpg

Clues to more Caches not displayed on the site, A secret cache :)

1E5AF4C5ECBA4474AC4334A2CCE1E915-500.jpg

my nephew Signing his second discovery

1850DCBC2B514647893D4289C5398082-500.jpg

dropping off the trinket I picked up at another cache during the week

927CE7360C8E4B449A0A1F3B3B9AF037-500.jpg

I can't tell you how much I love going Geo Caching, It's the one thing that gets me off the PC and out of the house and your always sure to see some amazing places that you've passed a hundred times before but never knew were there. I recommend people who like the outdoors give it a try, you'll surprise yourself :)

Thanks for reading

Tallon

Right so, I'm slowly gaining on Mrmac :p

On yer bike, young'un!

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, it's very addictive!

I'm up to 30 (ish) now, and apparently you have to hit 50+ before you can start hiding caches youself. Can't wait! Going to make two damn near impossible!!! :D

There's two Geocaching Events coming up in September, in NI. Can't make it myself (working), but should be good craic!

Keep on hunting!

Advertisement