Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on what to do Next!!

Options
  • 14-08-2009 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey guys and gals,

I was just wondering if you could help me out. Last month I purchased an Acer laptop from the meteor store in Tallaght the square. I was looking for a fast enough laptop that could handle high def/blu ray. They had this acer laptop on sale for €550 with a blu ray player in it. I checked with the store manager when buying it and I was told that it had a blu ray player. The laptop actually has a sticker saying there is a blu ray player on it. Not only that I was also told by the manager and another staff member that they tested out the laptop and the video quality was insane. Anyway, I get home, throw in a blu ray and to my surprise, NO blu ray player at all. I rang acer, they told me that its only on selected models and they should not of had the sticker on it and I shouldn’t have been told there was one on it.

I rang, spoke to the store manager, he said it was acers fault to leave it with him and he would check it out. He gets back to me a week later telling me he still had no answer but is trying to get me one with a blu ray player in it, that was 3 weeks ago. He also told me it was impossible to get through to acer, he was trying all week , ( I got through in about 30 seconds ) . I rang yesterday and I was told that this guy in question went on holidays and wont be back until the end of august. I am now stuck with a laptop which has all my personal info on it ( I only tried the blu ray after I transferred everything I have onto it, work docs, photos etc). Im not getting anywhere with meteor. I was lied to by the store manager and I feel that in the economy sales people should really be more responsible in what they are telling clients in order to make a sale. Im down €550 quid and stuck with a laptop that doesn’t do what I paid for it to do. Is there anything I can do.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You could start by posting in the right forum. :D

Moved from Mobiles & PDAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I hear this again and again - people need to fully understand their rights.

- You were sold a laptop by Meteor.
    - Your contract (under the sale of goods) is with meteor and not acer
    - The goods were falsely labeled
    - You are entitle to full refund immediately.

The sale of goods act 1980 state that:

- must be of merchantable quality
    - fit for purpose (reasonable durability)
    - as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

If in doubt contact the consumer association and please write a letter to meteor with the sections from the legislation (consumer association will give you this or google for it). It doesn't matter who in Meteor is on vacation - anyone in the store should redund the full amount and don't accept anything less that that.

Hey guys and gals,

I was just wondering if you could help me out. Last month I purchased an Acer laptop from the meteor store in Tallaght the square. I was looking for a fast enough laptop that could handle high def/blu ray. They had this acer laptop on sale for €550 with a blu ray player in it. I checked with the store manager when buying it and I was told that it had a blu ray player. The laptop actually has a sticker saying there is a blu ray player on it. Not only that I was also told by the manager and another staff member that they tested out the laptop and the video quality was insane. Anyway, I get home, throw in a blu ray and to my surprise, NO blu ray player at all. I rang acer, they told me that its only on selected models and they should not of had the sticker on it and I shouldn’t have been told there was one on it.

I rang, spoke to the store manager, he said it was acers fault to leave it with him and he would check it out. He gets back to me a week later telling me he still had no answer but is trying to get me one with a blu ray player in it, that was 3 weeks ago. He also told me it was impossible to get through to acer, he was trying all week , ( I got through in about 30 seconds ) . I rang yesterday and I was told that this guy in question went on holidays and wont be back until the end of august. I am now stuck with a laptop which has all my personal info on it ( I only tried the blu ray after I transferred everything I have onto it, work docs, photos etc). Im not getting anywhere with meteor. I was lied to by the store manager and I feel that in the economy sales people should really be more responsible in what they are telling clients in order to make a sale. Im down €550 quid and stuck with a laptop that doesn’t do what I paid for it to do. Is there anything I can do.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dubdude2008

yeah id assume that, but im also concerned that all my info is on it, if meteor are that dodgy they would have no problem selling that laptop on to someone else. i know i can delete the info from it but that can be recoved easily for anyone knowing what they are doing. plus the total lack of concern on their part about it. I know for a fact that the guy in question was simply doing this to make a sale. which is horrible in this day and age.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Laptop is not as discriped as it says it has blu-ray but clearly doesn't, I'd be bringing it back and asking for a full refund.

Not only did the staff incorrectly inform you but the sticker did to, don't let the Meteor shop fob you off to Acer, its nothing to do with Acer its to do with the point of sale.

Obviously before you bring it back take all your files off of it :)

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/intro.html
    Whenever you buy goods, you make a contract with the shop or seller who sold them to you. The seller agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price, and those goods should be:

* Of "merchantable quality" – this means that they must be of an acceptable standard
    * Fit for the purpose they were bought for
    * As described. In other words, false or exaggerated claims must not be made by the seller

If the goods fail to comply with any of these criteria - for example, if they turn out to be faulty - you have certain clear rights under consumer legislation. These entitlements are known as the three R's:

* Repair
    * Replacement
    * Refund

Your consumer rights are against the seller of the goods in all cases, but you may also have extra protection if you received a guarantee or warranty from the manufacturer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yeah id assume that, but im also concerned that all my info is on it, if meteor are that dodgy they would have no problem selling that laptop on to someone else. i know i can delete the info from it but that can be recoved easily for anyone knowing what they are doing. plus the total lack of concern on their part about it. I know for a fact that the guy in question was simply doing this to make a sale. which is horrible in this day and age.

If your so concerned, format the machine due to zero write across the drive and then reinstall windows on it, that should cover you :)

When you bring the laptop back to the store and if they refuse the refund advise them they can give you a refund or you'll go small claims court. its as simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you cannot contact the store manager to sort this out, then I'd suggest trying to contact retail operations in their HQ.

Meteor have to refund/replace/repair in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Under the data protection act they are not entitled to the information (personally identifiable info) on the laptop as you did/will not give them permission to use it. Either you, or they, must destroy that information before you give back the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dubdude2008

cool, thanks guys, i appreciate the advise, will get back on and ask to speak to someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cool, thanks guys, i appreciate the advise, will get back on and ask to speak to someone else
    dont bother ringing them as they will simply fob you off over the phone, go to the store with the laptop and simply and calmly insist on getting your money back and if they fail to do this after you CALMLY request a refund you should go to your local court office and get a small claims court application form. the SCC process costs a total of €15 and should go in your favour as the goods are not as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

All above correct. Get it back to the store and get yourself a full refund. Shame on meteor, this is horrible customer service!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you should go to your local court office and get a small claims court application form.
    No need - save yourself time and do it online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

i'm curious on this one my self.
    the O.P. bought this 3 weeks ago. i know theres something about a 30 day money guarantee back thingy with most places. now if the O.P. brings it back to the manager or who ever at end of the month (basically after the 30 day guarantee would be up) would he still be entitled to a full refund. it sounds like they're fobbing him off so they'll have to issue a credit note so he wont take his business else where.
    as i said i'm just curious on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

:pac::o:eek::(:rolleyes::):mad::cool::P:confused::p100 posts :D:P:cool::mad:

now if the O.P. brings it back to the manager or who ever at end of the month (basically after the 30 day guarantee would be up)

Devious.
    There's no argument though, he was lied to. Twice.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

i'm curious on this one my self.
    the O.P. bought this 3 weeks ago. i know theres something about a 30 day money guarantee back thingy with most places. now if the O.P. brings it back to the manager or who ever at end of the month (basically after the 30 day guarantee would be up) would he still be entitled to a full refund. it sounds like they're fobbing him off so they'll have to issue a credit note so he wont take his business else where.
    as i said i'm just curious on this.
    Yes, in theory, but its down to the sale of goods act. The thirty day thing is an additonal customer perk given by a company, not a legal entitlement. He should reasonably expect a refund because a) he made his complaint in a reasonable time, b) the goods are not as described. He does not have to take a credit note, he is entitled to a repair (not applicable) replacement or refund. Neither he nor meteor get to dictate what gets offered or accepted. If they cannot agree, then scc is the next step. I would think that meteors fannying about over the replacement would not look well in court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why didn't you bring the laptop back to the store immediately?

Stop dicking about, go back to the store now with the laptop and a receipt and say you want a full refund.

As for BluRay, buy a HDTV and BR player, laptops are not made for watching BR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

i know theres something about a 30 day money guarantee back thingy with most places. now if the O.P. brings it back to the manager or who ever at end of the month (basically after the 30 day guarantee would be up) would he still be entitled to a full refund.

Doesn't matter, because he's already brought the issue to their attention, and the standard 30 day money back that a lot of shops offer in cases of the item being defective has nothing to do with what you are entitled to by law. This is story policy only, and is largely meaningless, as you have the right to contest them if they miss sold the product. There is no 30 day limit on statutory rights, though you are best getting it sorted sooner rather than later.

Wipe the laptop's drive, and bring it back for a refund now. You will not get a bluray player for that laptop, nor are they going to replace it with one that has bluray. They're trying to see if you'll get bored and go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

jor el wrote: »
    ...Wipe the laptop's drive, and bring it back for a refund now. You will not get a bluray player for that laptop, nor are they going to replace it with one that has bluray. They're trying to see if you'll get bored and go away.

Exactly as Jor el and the previous poster said.

They are just hoping you'll fack off.

Put the laptop in the box. Go to the shop with your receipt and get your money back.

Take NO sheeet from them whatsoever. They are just dicking you around.

BnA wrote: »
    Take NO sheeet from them whatsoever. They are just dicking you around.

And in future, don't buy a laptop from a mobile phone shop! :rolleyes:

Advertisement