Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plantation of Ulster stamp

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Grimes wrote: »
    Hopefully the Queen. Bring back Britain!

Alternatively, you could always go to Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

My own personal opinion is that if these stamps are actually commemorating the plantation then its a disgraceful and illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could always go to Britain.

Id prefer it if it went back to the way it was since the dawn of modern society cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Heh heh you just blew yourself out of the water there buddy.;)

No I didn't - I provided a perfectly logical stance, with a very simple question to answer. You avoided tackling either. I win.

Grimes wrote: »
    Id prefer it if it went back to the way it was since the dawn of modern society cheers.

And what way would that be, Grimes?

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    Link Can't see the harm in this really. Anyone feel as strongly as this guy about it?

What next? The Red Squirrel Society of Ireland honouring the guy who brought the American grey squirrel into Ireland from Britain in 1911?

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/GreySquirrel.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Other stamps in the collection will include:

'James Connolly tied to a chair!'
    'Cromwell going around Dublin on his horse!'
    'Rossville flats 1972!'

"Colm and Jim Jim's Home Run!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rebelheart wrote: »
    What next? The Red Squirrel Society of Ireland honouring the guy who brought the American grey squirrel into Ireland from Britain in 1911?

You may think it's a matter for merriment.

Some of us will never forget the supercilious colonial arrogance with which the foreign grey invader was planted on our fair isle and brutally subjugated the rightful Eurasian inhabitants of this land, forcing them into an intermittent and nutless penury.

Sciurus Vulgaris Abu!

stovelid wrote: »
    You may think it's a matter for merriment.

Some of us will never forget the supercilious colonial arrogance with which the foreign grey invader was planted on our fair isle and brutally subjugated the rightful Eurasian inhabitants of this land, forcing them into an intermittent and nutless penury.

Sciurus Vulgaris Abu!

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That's right, fcukers could eat the toxic stuff and were built up and ready for the Reds, who couldn't take the sour stuff.
    Love Mars Bars those fookers.

Reds had to head West.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

wonder would there be commemorative stamps of canary wharf in britain?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Bambi wrote: »
    I await An Posts llyod george/winston churchill/tan bastards commemorative set with bated breath. :rolleyes:

That's the set I'm waiting for too...seems like we won't have too long to wait!

What gobsmacking idiot came up with the idea of a Plantation commemorative stamp? Jeez, why do we Irish frequently feel compelled to apologize or explain away offenses done to us? The national inferiority complex is alive and well....depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hagar wrote: »
    Tell me this is a joke, please.

from your recent post history with relation to matters pertaining to subjects on northern ireland i have come to the conclusion you are a member of the IRA's southern france brigade.

I see the plan now. Attack england from its southern flanks, with the aid of French sympathisers.

Its comming, brace yourselves Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Vive la Résistance. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Coincidently enough reeling in the years of 1970 was on tonight. Thousands of Catholics burnt out of their homes by so called loyalists. They would have been planter descendents

Wonder how those Catholics feel about this "commemorative" stamp. I think its a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

aDeener wrote: »
    wonder would there be commemorative stamps of canary wharf in britain?:rolleyes:

http://a.imagehost.org/0125/STAMP.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I'm cool with this, frequent irruptions are a part of our history and heritage.

You only need to read the Book of Leinster or Foras Feasa or the Annals of the Four Masters to see that predatory invasions happened all the time on this island... the only difference with the Plantations was that the invaders were from outside of the Gaelic world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Long Onion wrote: »
    Originally Posted by www.irishtimes.com
    Madam, – I am disappointed to learn in the latest issue of An Post’s philatelist magazine, The Collector, that a stamp will be issued on September 4th to commemorate the Plantation of Ulster.

I am dismayed that An Post would consider an event where England colonised this country as being worthy of a commemorative stamp. This event directly contributed to the partition of Ulster from the rest of the Republic that exists today. It is akin to South Africa’s ANC party releasing a commemorative stamp welcoming the colonisation of English and Dutch settlers which ultimately led to the apartheid system that existed there. Shame on those who came up with this idea. – Yours, etc,

JOHN WATERS,

Moyvoon,

Oughterard,

Co Galway.

Sir,

I am sick of useless wasters living in the past who have fcuk all better to do than drag up the same mindless dirge time after time. The stamp was only issued to prevent fcuks like you from sending more pointless letters.

Ask my arse.

King Billy

It wasn't he who dragged up this disgracefull part of history,it was the fools who came up with the stamp idea . . .are you saying that he shiouldn't express his opinion?
    994 wrote: »
    I think you're about 200 years off there. All the plantation did was replace one group of oppressive landlords with another.
    So,that was only 85 years ago . . .
    Others living in NI might feel it is worthy of being remembered.

What I personally believe is not the point, history happened, and we are where we are.
    In your opinion it wasn't a good thing but others might differ.;)

The important thing to remember here is that if certain NI people are of that opinion,well tbh . . they're wrong and they're disgraces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I suppose we can only enjoy the irony that the people who would most like to use these stamps can't unless they cross the Border into our detested country and change their beloved Queen's headed coinage into Euros to give into An Oifig an Phoist to buy stamps they can only use in the Republic. You gotta take the laughs where you find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Right all politics aside, what good actually came out of the Ulster plantation? What idiot in An Post actually thought "do yeah know what we haven't celebrated in a while thats really benefitted this country"? What dope thought something which caused so many deaths, and resulted in the division and sectarianism in society across the island we see today, and more importantly the partition of this island, would be worth commemorating? I mean we should always remember our past and not be selective with what parts of our history we choose to remember and celebrate, but why commemorate a moment like the Ulster Plantations which ultimately was the cause for so many deaths and so much division on this island?

I mean what, did they think having a stamp like this would appease Unionists(who won't even use them) and make them think "ah lads yeh know we never really gave the whole United Ireland thing a chance. I mean look, they've gone and made a stamp for us, I mean yeh can't say no to that...".

Idiots...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Depends on the stamp really, I'm against a stamp celebrating this dark period in Irish history but in the other hand, if it were to serve as a reminder of the hardships endured by the people, then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Lobster wrote: »
    Depends on the stamp really, I'm against a stamp celebrating this dark period in Irish history but in the other hand, if it were to serve as a reminder of the hardships endured by the people, then why not?

I agree with your sentiments but I'm just wondering how you could go about portraying that properly on a postage stamp?

Lobster wrote: »

If it's a historical reminder, of course. If it's to celebrate the plantations, then it's categorically absurd. An Post will need to clarify it.

In saying that - I doubt anybody really gives a hoot. It's just a stamp, and nobody uses post anymore. E-mail ruined the post business, and it's generally only used now for bills that nobody reads, and spam mail from dominos pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The Ulster Plantation is something that changed this country irrespective of whether or not people like it. A small minority of people will think that this stamp is apt and appropriate for remembering such a changing time in Irish history, others will find it offensive.

The Ulster Plantation brought a lot of negatives no doubt, but there was already British colonisation in Ireland at that point anyway. The only one positive I can think of was that it allowed for alternative forms of Christianity to exist on a wider scale in Ireland so that people could have a freer choice of faith.

On the other half, it followed with pretty severe restrictions to freedom of religion both in the UK and in Ireland with the Penal Laws restricting the rights of Catholics and Dissenting Protestants (non-Anglicans).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The decision to issue two stamps to mark the Plantation of Ulster..............will be seen as a symbolic act in the ongoing maturing of relationships between both parts of the island, and between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

Judging by this thread An Post got this one wrong :rolleyes:

Personally I see nothing wrong with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

If it's celebratory, then tbh it does smack a bit of pandering to British apologists in an attempt to appear 'mature' , however if it's simply commemorating the event , I don't see the problem.

The problem is how to distinguish commeration from celebration on something as small as a stamp...

994 wrote: »
    All the plantation did was replace one group of oppressive landlords with another.

Written in the finest of the queen's English, bless you.

The lack of historical knowledge of the "Ara sure the poor Brits weren't that bad" brigade never fails to astound. Their reasons seem to be something as simple (as in retarded) as having met/worked with/befriended somebody British and - hey presto - all Irish history must have been full of equally lovely peace-loving British people who just accidentally took control of everything in Ireland for centuries. Oh, the burden of it all must have been ferocious on the poor British, it seems.

No doubt the same people like to think they are going against nationalist myths when they embrace the nice-peace-loving- Brits-coming-to-help-the-poor-backward-wilde-Irishe myths of - surprise, surprise - British nationalism.

Well done, lads. You are clearly head and shoulders above the rest of us when it comes to, well, embracing nationalist myths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Whats so bad with 1609 anyways?People give out about the plantations, yet wholly accept the religious conquest of Ireland prior to that. The arrival of catholicism was far worse in my opinion. Were still backwards cunts for **** sake

• Advertisement

history happened, and we are where we are.

This is all so profound. I'm just overwhelmed with the depth and intelligence here.

Advertisement