Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish MMA Show Being banned....AGAIN !!

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Here we go again.:mad: Just a few mths after Ultimate Octagon Challenge where holding their European MMA Champs in Omagh, Co. TYrone, and had secured Sky Tv coverage (it was banned by the local council), another group are trying to hold a MMA show and are facing great opposition by people who do not have a clue what they are talking about. Why do, apparent officals who represent the commuinity want to ban one of the most popular sports in the world? A sport, I say! Not Neanderthol barberaisum, which is what these preastoric councilers refare MMA to. What is your opinion people??? And to make things even more patronising they say they are having meetings to discuss if the show will go ahead, when infact they are sure it wont, So an insider reported! Yes bad spelling I know, HAHA! :P:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

is this "immortal 1" you're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Trev UOC

Not sure what the show is called, its run by a jui jitsu club, Im just going by what the papers say, and a few of the clubs fighters, dont have any 1st hand info. But its a shame that these counsil officials dont want it to take place because they dont understand the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Trev could you please post some more details? I'm sure many of us from the North would like to give our support to anyone wanting to help the sport grow so maybe we could help out somehow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Link if any?

Many people in power up there live in the last century so Im not surprised. Bans like this are so stupid when you can turn on the telly and watch it on ESPN/SKY or find it on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

can you see this?

Im not sure if ive attached it properly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Trev, I know someone in the Omagh Council. I could put in a word for you. Could you drop me a message with all the details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I was cringing like mad at the first half of the article but Im glad the paper allowed John Curry (who came across really well) to say his piece.

Does this council allow boxing?

Actually nvm, I saw your second post. I'll ask and see what the craic is.

rovert wrote: »
    Does this council allow boxing?

Yes. Omagh has a strong boxing foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

The problem is its more about politics and votes within councils than it is about MMA. I work for a local authority, and while we professionals do the day to day work, the decisions are made by council, who are primarily atrying to ensure they get their seat next year. Its the public perception, and pandering to peoples fears that hurts Mixed Martial Arts. Theose who are up for election use the arguement that "They stopped by Johnny from starting that Cage Gladiating and getting brain damage" to obtain votes. Its just another weapon that is used for an entirely different agenda. We have to get people in board from the media, government, and sporting bodies who might be impartial (yeah right. they just want to sell a story) and stay squeaky squeaky clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

If i've read this correctly it's just banned from council premises but not altogether - is the event still going ahead OK?

Was very impressed with a few of the lads from strabane fight team at the last Cage Wars event I was at. Some awesome MMA jiu-jitsu on display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Its the public perception of what the sport is about thats caused this isssue.

It's important that all emotions are taken out of any arguement and that its purely fact driven when you talk to these people.

I know that Ultimate Conflict has run on council premises and Cage Wars has been running on our soil for years.

Promoters need to make sure that the guidelines we set out are being fully adhered to and no corners are being cut to save a few bucks.

I hope this is just a flash in the pan and that it goes away very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭juijitsu black

This show is now going ahead and will taks place in strabane. Thanks for all your posts guys and bringing the situation up. see you all there.:D

Advertisement