Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens to an injured racing horse

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi there. I'm new to Ireland and in the last year I've taken a keen interest in horse racing and betting. I would like to know the truth about what happens to a horse if they're injured during a race. What I mean to say is: what is the general practice in the Irish racing industry for an injured horse? I was in Leopardstown yesterday, and the horse I backed started limping quite seriously just at the end of her race. The blue partitions went up around her, and she was pushed into the horse ambulance. How can I find out what happened to her? Is that information availiable to the public? Final question, can anyone recommend an excellent book that discusses the horse racing industry in Ireland. Your opinions are very welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

It depends on the injury, horse and the owners. Its a very general question tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

I agree with fits, but generally if its leg broken then they are put down.
    Also I think a lot is down to the owner and how much / how long they can afford to spend treating the animal, and lightly hood of them making a full recovery to win races for them again. (That may not be true, but it stems from conversations and assumptions I've had / made in the past)

I'd doubt you will find out what happened to her, and I wouldn't say that information would be available to the public. Unless it's the likes of Beef or Salmon / Doran's pride / Red Rum / etc., you'd hear about it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Like the other posters have said, it depends on the injury the horse received. If the leg/shoulder/back is broken, the horse is normally put down. However, if a horse breaks down there are several courses of action which can be taken. If the injury isn't serious, then the horse may well race again after proper treatment and adequate rest (normally a minimum of a year). Alternatively, the horse may be retired from racing and can become a riding horse. If it's a mare, the owners will probably breed from her. However, if it's an exceptionally severe injury, or the horse breaks down on more than one leg (I once saw a horse break down on all four legs evening - it was horrible to watch) the horse may often be put down.

However, it will often depend on the owners and the finances at their disposal to treat the horse's injury and the quality of life which a horse may have in the future, even if just kept at grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

from my own experiance of having a father who is a racecourse vet, when the blue partitions go up it usually means the animal will be put down, or else the injury is severe and may cause distress to the crowd to see an animal moving with the injury.

skink wrote: »
    from my own experiance of having a father who is a racecourse vet, when the blue partitions go up it usually means the animal will be put down, or else the injury is severe and may cause distress to the crowd to see an animal moving with the injury.

I think the policy regarding the blue screen has changed hugely in the last few years. Until a few years ago, the blue screen was only put up if the horse was seriously or fatally injured, but nowadays it seems to be put up for almost everything, from a horse being winded on the ground or broken down, to more severe injuries. I've even seen the blue screen put up around jockies on the ground!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Cathlo wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm new to Ireland and in the last year I've taken a keen interest in horse racing and betting. I would like to know the truth about what happens to a horse if they're injured during a race. What I mean to say is: what is the general practice in the Irish racing industry for an injured horse? I was in Leopardstown yesterday, and the horse I backed started limping quite seriously just at the end of her race. The blue partitions went up around her, and she was pushed into the horse ambulance. How can I find out what happened to her? Is that information availiable to the public? Final question, can anyone recommend an excellent book that discusses the horse racing industry in Ireland. Your opinions are very welcomed.

The truth? What happens is the horse is looked after as best is possible.
    Call the trainer to find out about the mare.
    pm me if you want the trainers number.

finbarrk wrote: »
    The truth? What happens is the horse is looked after as best is possible.
    Call the trainer to find out about the mare.
    pm me if you want the trainers number.

As far as I know, it was actually a colt that was injured, not a filly!

Advertisement