Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

application for unrestricted firearm licence

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hello there,

I am in the process of applying for a licence for a o/u shotgun . On the form which I downloaded from garda.ie there is a Section 2.5 headed Proof of Competence and it says that ''if this is a first time application, please provide proof of your competence in the possession, use and carrgiage of firearms '' . Does anyone know exactly what is meant by that and what sort of proof they might require. I used to shoot a bit many years ago when I used to live in the UK but have never held a shotgun licence in Ireland, but am looking to get back into it again . Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks v much :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

All depends if you will be a club member or not.
    if you are then your club should be able to sort it
    otherwise i'm not really sure,the new guidelines from the gardai are due out shortly and they might put you straight.
    keep an eye on this forum for more info,unless someone else here might know.
    wellcome to the shooting world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Hello there,

I am in the process of applying for a licence for a o/u shotgun . On the form which I downloaded from garda.ie there is a Section 2.5 headed Proof of Competence and it says that ''if this is a first time application, please provide proof of your competence in the possession, use and carrgiage of firearms '' . Does anyone know exactly what is meant by that and what sort of proof they might require. I used to shoot a bit many years ago when I used to live in the UK but have never held a shotgun licence in Ireland, but am looking to get back into it again . Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks v much :confused:

Maybe it would be an idea for you to write a letter stating that you have experience shooting and that you held a firearms licence in the uk and maybe give contact details for someone could back up your story.
    Or if your in a club here get the chairman or secretary to give you a letter stating that you have some experience with firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭brianfrancis45

Thanks to you and to Foxhunter for your reply. I'm not a member of a club at the moment despite trying a few but all were ''closed shops''. I do have good character references from a couple of professionals ( pillars of society types !) plus permission from 2 landowners to shoot so hopefully if I write a letter explaining that I used to shoot some years ago in the UK ,so have reasonable experience with gun safety, hopefully that might satisfy the local superintent . Must say though that I find it a bit ridiculous that the garda form asks you for something but doesn't explain what they actually want. One more questions , if that is O.K. does anyone know what is the usual time that is required for a new shotgun licence application to be processed ?? Thanks very much to all for your assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

One more questions , if that is O.K. does anyone know what is the usual time that is required for a new shotgun licence application to be processed ?? Thanks very much to all for your assistance.

They are supposed to be processed within 3 months or you must be given a reason why it was refused.
    This however is not always the case so it all depends on your local FO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

foxhunter wrote: »
    They are supposed to be processed within 3 months or you must be given a reason why it was refused.
    Well up to the commencement of Section 30 of the 2006 act as replaced by Section 43 of the 2009 Act, they were not obliged to give you a decision in three months or a reason for refusal.

That all changed on the 1st August 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

foxhunter wrote: »
    If you don't hear from them within 3 months after August 1, you're deemed to have been refused and notified, don't forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote: »
    If you don't hear from them within 3 months after August 1, you're deemed to have been refused and notified, don't forget.
    is it not 3 months after you submit the application (or after they've accepted it?) that it's deemed refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sorry Rovi, I wasn't terribly clear there. It's three months after you submit the application, for all applications submitted after August 1 2009.

Advertisement