Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic climbing gear

Options
  • 14-08-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

iv been looking on the net for a list of basic gear to get when just starting out but i keep geting very difrent answers so if anyone could give me an idea of what to get and want not to bother with would be great thanks

Comments

If its gonna be off a tarred road or really good dry track (which might take runners), boot boots boots.

Cutting and pasting this from a reply I gave in a similar thread

Think boots, a compass and map (and some basic knowledge of how to use them, there are many tutorials online), a whistle/torch just in case, raingear, a change of clothes in the car and go for it. As you see what you like, you can acquire more and more, weather gear/gaiters, flasks, hydration packs, proper layered clothing, books on good walks etc. But would go in at the shallow end before incurring too much expense - for my first few walks I went in runners before spending any money, but was sticking to tracks then. Even still, lots of my gear is cheap, though have good boots

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Climbing in what sense? Rock climbing up or hiking

Rock CLimbing

Shoes
    Harness
    2-3 Karabiners
    Belay plate

Thats enough to do it indoors at a wall like UCD etc.
    To start climbing outdoors add a rope (50m min) more Karabiners, 2-3 slings, prussak loop and a fair amount of competence and training.

Hmmmmm, think my 'basic walking gear' post might be misplaced!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭backlashs

its rock climbing and thats great thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

You made a post similar to this last week. You were interested on tips for building a rack and asked a question about cam sizes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055644234

Leading outdoor trad climbs is quite advanced, I assumed you already had some experience and had a harness, shoes and a belay device... these are your essentials. It's all you need if you want to climb at an indoor climbing wall or belay and second people on climbs outdoors.

You should learn the basics first, take a class or join a club. Get some experience top roping, belaying and seconding people, then you can think about getting a rack and going on lead.

A helmet is a good investment too for climbing outdoors.

• Advertisement

i know i asked about cams a while back but this time was asking about general equipment sorry if it seems im asking the same questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Sure no problem, I just had the impression that I maybe overestimated your level. I didn't realise you were yet to acquire the essentials first, such as shoes, harness and belay device.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Get someone with experience or join a club you can learn from, thats the first bit of "equipment" you can have all the shiney new cams, delay devices etc but unless you know what you are doing they aren't much use.

Sorry don't mean to scare monger but it is a dangerous sports (thats a big part of the attraction for a lot of people).

Along with what the others have mentioned a chalk bag is always handy (invest in a ball instead of the powder it's so much handier and cleaner).

Gillo wrote: »
    Along with what the others have mentioned a chalk bag is always handy (invest in a ball instead of the powder it's so much handier and cleaner).

D'oh should have mentioned that. Though i prefer the loose stuff myself:)

well i have done a load of climbs at adventure centers so i know how to belay and what not but iv been looking at a one day course in UCD any idea if it is worth doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

are you a member of the MCI (now MI i think) they run free classes in Dalkey from time to time, its a great way to start outdoors and will give you an idea of where things are in the quarry

backlashs wrote: »
    well i have done a load of climbs at adventure centers so i know how to belay and what not but iv been looking at a one day course in UCD any idea if it is worth doing?

To be honest you're better of trying to find someone with a good bit of experience trad climbingor outdoor climbing to try to go with on a regular basis. The course will be of limited use IMO.

Advertisement