Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Lough Ree worth a punt?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I hope to going to the Hodson Bay in Athlone in a few weeks. It's at the south end of Lough Ree. Is the fishing any good there? I'm not fussy with what's there fish-wise, just once there's a half decent chance we might catch something..!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Supposed to be plenty in there, there's definitely trout, perch, pike. I was out two weeks ago and my mate had a jack pike, I'd a few perch, a small trout, and hooked a very nice trout but he shook the hooks loose.

The pike was taken close in near the weeds with a shiny rubber roach imitating lure. The other were all out in the middle with a size 3 black fury trolled deep.

If you're fishing from the shore, I don't know the area very well but the area around Hodson bay and coosan point up the road seem to be the best places to get access.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Lough Ree is always worth a go!
    I have caught a lot of big pike there over the years. But summertime fishing is more difficult, and the average size will be smaller than in the cooler months.
    You might have to settle for mid doubles!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 millpool

I recently moved to Roscommon, do you know any good shore fishing locations for trout on east side of Lough Ree?

Advertisement