Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders in my car Terrified !!!

• 14-08-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Like millions of people I have a major fear of spiders, it pretty much effects my day to day life. If I see a spider I break out in a cold sweat, I want to get sick, I want to cry and it has me and edge even hours after the spider has been gotten rid of. So all in all I would say im pretty terrified. Which makes my dilemma unbearable.
    Bascially my car is full of spiders. We had a party last week and we transferred some garden chairs from my brothers house to my house in the car, big big mistake. The chairs have sliding arms on them and perfect little space for spiders to live in. Anyway the bigger mistake was leaving the chairs in the car over night. I dunno how I was so foolish to be honest.
    But basically all week little spiders have been popping up all over the car, and driving to and from work has been so traumatic all week, resulting in me having to make a few emergency stops when one dangles down from the windscreen or somewhere. I have killed about 12/13 so far. I have totally cleaned out the car upside down, inside out, getting the vacuum to it the past 2 nights, I have sprayed it all out with spider deterrent and used lemon pledge all over (they hate lemon). But still this morning when I get in I see another little bugger. Thankfully they are all small spiders, but it’s the anxiety of driving having the horrible feeling there is some in the car. and now im thinking there could be a nest with a big mother spider somewhere??
    Does anybody have any better solutions to totally rid them of the car. Please god at this stage they are all gone, but it’s the not knowing that is killing me. its been on my mind all day at work dreading getting in for the 40 minute drive home.
    Also has anyone ever had hypnosis for this kind of fear, as i would seriously consider!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭doctor_gonzo

I like you absolutely detest spiders and spent a good three weeks in utter torment after throwing an old dusty fold up bike in my boot and realising that I had also chucked in an almighty big black fuzzy spider.

I drove with the windows down for a fortnight and searched and scrubbed but never found the fecker. Maybe you should drive with a fly swat or similar on the passenger seat? That's what I did!! On a slightly different note, I got hypno for a fear of public speaking and it did nothing. That said I think the guy I went to was off his nut so maybe I'm not one to say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

Urgh, I feel awful for you both. Likewise, I too suffer from very bad arachnophobia. Just a few hours ago I went into a blind panic after seeing a monster of a spider on the stairs. Burst into tears and had to check my room top to bottom to make sure it didn't have a friend. Hate this time of year, they're everywhere! :(

I was just saying earlier that I'd love to get some sort of hypnosis or counselling about my phobia because it really is so bad! I wouldn't be so sure of the hypnosis working though :confused:

I hope you get rid of them from your car! It's strange that they're still hanging around, even after using the lemon pledge. You could try eucalyptus leaves maybe, I hear they hate them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

Last summer i put on my full face helmet and had just taken off on my motor bike when a 1" diameter "Huntsman" spider walked across the inside of the visor. They are pretty much harmless and not noted for biting (Just as well).

I had the presence of mind to lift the visor and the wind did the rest.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭doctor_gonzo

ozzirt wrote: »
    a 1" diameter "Huntsman" spider walked across the inside of the visor

:eek::eek::eek:I'm hyperventilating just thinking about that!

Personally I found hypnotherapy useless, although to be honest I'm not sure that it was proper hypnotherapy that they do in other clinics. Yer man was really keen on 'energy channels' :rolleyes: and was all about this weird tapping malarky on various parts of the face while saying certain sentences. Also he kept asking me to speak to my 'higher power', which made me laugh. I think he was just a bit of a mad nut. Still a mad nut that charged me nearly 100quid for the privilege of tapping my face for an hour! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

:eek::eek::eek:I'm hyperventilating just thinking about that!

Personally I found hypnotherapy useless, although to be honest I'm not sure that it was proper hypnotherapy that they do in other clinics. Yer man was really keen on 'energy channels' :rolleyes: and was all about this weird tapping malarky on various parts of the face while saying certain sentences. Also he kept asking me to speak to my 'higher power', which made me laugh. I think he was just a bit of a mad nut. Still a mad nut that charged me nearly 100quid for the privilege of tapping my face for an hour! :D
    That doesn't sound at all like hypnotherapy to me. It sounds more like a scam. There are "real" hypnotherapists ans decent courses that will desensitise you to spiders.

Fear of spiders is natural, although it is not good for a person to be unrealistically afraid. For example a person that cannot hold a glass jar containing a spider, where the spider is safely contained really needs some help just for their own peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

ozzirt wrote: »
    For example a person that cannot hold a glass jar containing a spider, where the spider is safely contained really needs some help just for their own peace of mind.

I wouldn't be able to do that! :eek:

I just came across another enormous spider on the stairs and I had to wait until someone came home to get rid of it before I could go up to my room! :o

Advertisement