Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No affordable housing

Options
  • 14-08-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Recently i decided to apply for the affordable housing , just to see what I would get offered and to keep my options open! With some developments advertised on the dublin city council website that im interested in! Got a call thi morning saying that they would not be doing "Another draw for a long time" ! Anyone else been waiting around? I thought with the overhang in property they would be trying to shift them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Recently i decided to apply for the affordable housing , just to see what I would get offered and to keep my options open! With some developments advertised on the dublin city council website that im interested in! Got a call thi morning saying that they would not be doing "Another draw for a long time" ! Anyone else been waiting around? I thought with the overhang in property they would be trying to shift them?
    Not sure what is going on there. Possibly they are playing the dumb bank/NAMA game of keeping things from the market until things pick up, preventing a fire sale in the (false, imo) belief that this is the best way of protecting their investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Why don't you have a look for the ones for sale right now on Daft that are AH without the clawback instead of joining a waiting list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

Try a different local authority - Fingal for example. www.fingalcoco.ie for details - they seem to have a list of properties on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Dublin city council have a list of propertys on there website this is what i dont get! Must be holding them back

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

This is amazing there is an article in the sunday business post today talking about over 2k of affordable houses that cannot be sold because of the drop in property prices, simply the council are putting too high a value on the properties and refuse to negotiate.

In my estate there are over 15 affordable houses sitting idle and have been for over 2 years when will the councils wake up and get things moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

:eek: Don't waste your time and money...

I applied to sdcc affordable housing in May 2008, got a call in May this year saying i had reached the top of the list and they were offering me a 2 bed apartment in Slade Castle (happy days!)

I arranged a viewing with them and she said she'd email me the info... Anyhoos, check my email only to discover that I could not afford one of these 'affordable' homes.

Its a joke... since then i've recieved emails from them about open viewings of affordable homes in the sdcc area (first come first serve basis- looks like the list is no longer in operation)

Check out the open market, some properties are on par with the prices the council are offering plus you'll have no clawback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Tony255 wrote: »
    This is amazing there is an article in the sunday business post today talking about over 2k of affordable houses that cannot be sold because of the drop in property prices, simply the council are putting too high a value on the properties and refuse to negotiate.

In my estate there are over 15 affordable houses sitting idle and have been for over 2 years when will the councils wake up and get things moving.
    Here's the article from the SBP. URL="http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=43773-qqqx=1.asp"]link[/URL
    In a circular to the councils, the department advised them that they must find alternative uses for some of the affordable housing stock on their book s because of the fall in house prices.
    ‘‘Current market conditions relating to house purchase generally have inevitably impacted on the sale of affordable housing,” according to the department circular.

‘‘Information from local authorities in the context of the recent Housing Action Plan meetings indicates that, notwithstanding significant levels of sales of affordable units in 2008, the stock on hands nationally was likely to be of the order of 3,700 units.
    Seems like they are responding to the lower prices by not lowering prices.

Advertisement