Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're off again

Options
  • 14-08-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

It's getting f*cking stupid.

this thread was just closed

I understand it's a sensitive issue, but the threads are pre-moderated so a moderator deemed it OK to let it roll.

a few people come along who clearly didn't read the stickies

and the USERS get punished for this by closing the thread

why can't the mods just do their job? if someone breaks the rules of R&R punish them don't punish everyone else

this is lazy lazy moderation of the highest order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Judging by your post, I don't think you've any remote idea of how much running around the mods of that forum are doing to keep the place from going up in one big flame war. I can see the amount of posts that don't go through or have to be deleted.

On that basis I see it as pretty poor form to criticise them for being "lazy lazy" and demand that they "just do their job". Seriously, you've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

sceptre wrote: »
    Judging by your post, I don't think you've any remote idea of how much running around the mods of that forum are doing to keep the place from going up in one big flame war. I can see the amount of posts that don't go through or have to be deleted.

On that basis I see it as pretty poor form to criticise them for being "lazy lazy" and demand that they "just do their job". Seriously, you've no idea.

I'm referring to this thread in general

Obviously I can't see what goes on in the background and to criticize me when lacking that information is moronic.

The threads are pre-moderated right? so a mod looked at the thread and let it go.

people come in who don't understand the rules and post, the thread gets locked so instead of the people who were too lazy to read the rules the users get punished.

this is a lazy way of dealing with the situation

You have more information now but you're still calling them lazy. it's the job of the mods to make a judgement call on whether a thread is likely to cause hassle, they make that decision on an ongoing basis and they did in this case. Their rationale is explained in the thread.

Obviously this is an issue you've apparently got strong opinions on so hence you're annoyed that it was closed but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It was I who closed the thread.

I did not do so out of laziness, I did so because the thread was causing more pain than it was worth.

There were responses from people who can't find jobs. Maybe they are at risk of loosing their cars or homes as a result. I can only guess at their hardship.

The topic had passed the "lets have fun and rant" point and was into human misery.

I don't know why you thanked my post closing the thread and then start this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

For the benefit of the OP.

When a thread is pre-moderated it only means the first post is pre-moderated. After the first post is approved the thread becomes a normal thread and anybody can post on it. The subsequent posts are normal posts. They are not pre-moderated. Mods will only become aware of their content on reading the thread or upon receiving a reported post concerning one of them. I hope this clears up any mis-conceptions th OP may have about the pre-moderation process.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »

I don't know why you thanked my post closing the thread and then start this thread?

I was thanking you for your kind words to those looking for work.

Not for closing the thread.

sceptre wrote: »
    You have more information now but you're still calling them lazy. it's the job of the mods to make a judgement call on whether a thread is likely to cause hassle, they make that decision on an ongoing basis and they did in this case. Their rationale is explained in the thread.

Obviously this is an issue you've apparently got strong opinions on so hence you're annoyed that it was closed but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

I'm not annoyed because I have strong opinion on it. we had this before in R&R and the arrangement made was to pre-moderate the threads.

I don't see the point in pre-moderating them if a thread is then going to be closed because people are getting upset.

remove their posts and let the thread take it's course

if they keep doing it ban them, the same way it goes in every other single forum on boards.

if we start closing every thread that people get upset it there would be very few threads to read!

We can go hammer and thongs about abortion but we can't discuss job losses?

fs

The premoderation query was answered above yours as far as I can see.

No-one's proposed closing every thread that people get upset about so let's not discuss by extremes.

It's been justified, it's reasonable in my view, you don't like it, that's unfortunate. It's now a circular argument so I'm done. For what it's worth I've noted your objections though. Feel free to have the final reasonable word.

Advertisement