Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Course transfer

• 14-08-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Worst case senario::rolleyes:

Lets say you hate the course you start in ul
    and want to change to another
    If you had the points, Met the Matriculation requirements and Places were available would Ul allow a transfer?
    Would a extra cost bbe incurred?

Just wondering cause im a bit nervous if ill like my course. I picked a course that has a fairly low student intake each year (10 places) on CAO

LM080 Electronics

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

You wont have a problem if you meet the requirments and i don't think there is a charge. and the low amount of places is normal is science/eng courses. Theres 5 in my course and 4 in one of the engineering courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There isn't a charge by the college to change your course but you only get one dose of "free" fees per each distinct year of college.

So if you were in first year in course A last year you'd have to pay the full amount of fees for your new first year in course B (assume that's six thousand, that's the usual figure). After your new first year you get to go back on the old system. Same applies to any college grant you may get - you only get it once for each particular year, you lose it for what's effectively a "redone" year and regain it if you had it as soon as you pass through to t year you haven't already passed through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

No I just finished the leaving:)
    Just abit of worryed thinking:pac:

Thanks for the replys,

What course are you in NTMK ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I do Biomedical and Adv Materials. If you change course early in 1st year you wont have to pay fees you will just transfer into the course straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah, I see so - you come in via the CAO and then apply for a transfer. If there are places available and you make the standard it should be no big deal and no charge as NTMK said. It's up to the department you'd be applying to go into. Best to decide as early as possible, it'll make a big difference. TYalking to your assigned academic advisor as early as possible would be good, the main student academic administration office as well (you might have to deal with the admissions office, I'm not sure but they'll know).

You might just find that you really like it:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

thanks lads for the answers,

ah I was just wondering, :D looking forward to ul anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Hey,

Been there and got the T-shirt!

Hated my first course (now two years ago), stuck it out for the whole year tho and then decided to appy for internal transfer!

The only requirments that the course I was appying to transfer to had was that I had a QCA of 2.0 or greater OR be within 50 points of that courses required points!

I had both so i got it straight away! Well had to go to the Status Commettie Meeting and put forward my case , ie why and how will it benefit me in the long run stuff! This meeting for me was with just one lady not a panel!

I know of one other student you had their grades re-checked and therefore got enough points to get her first choice, which happened to be in UL as well as her seond, the one the student choose,, that student got to transfer in the first month!
    However, if its just a normal transfer Im nearly sure (the UL student guidebook tends to confuse me at times) you have to sit at LEAST ONE set of Exams in the college before you can apply, ie you'd have to do one semester of the orignal course!

The only thing I would say is that it differs from courses and departments, talk to your Advisor once you get his/her info and that!

That is of course if you do hate your course in the long run!

A year on - SO MUCH HAPPIER!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

Is it too late to change from an ingoing 2nd year course to a different 1st year course? My UL QCA is 2.9 with no repeats & I got 540 in the LC last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

I would apply now and the next Student Status Committee meeting is on the 16th of September 2009.

This is where transfer reqquests are dealt with! So you'll have to start the 2nd yr course for a the start of term and then see what happens I think seeing as you are already and student and that the meeting is so early. There is three per yr I think, Sep, Jan and then in June/July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

transfering is very easy. I myself started out in biomedical and advanced materials and i changed to multimedia and computer games developement.

All I had to do was contact the one in charge of the course i wanted to change to and they gave me my new timetable. I then had to officially change my course by the 30th of october i think.

I actually changed in the first week and it was no hassle. didnt miss much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement