Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Are you all watching the same trailer i am? I could barely make out that it was animated, and i think it looks ****in amazing. Can't wait to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Looks meh to me....cg wise i mean, at first my jaw was dropped when its showing the wheelchair bound dude with the environments. Then from when the blue people start showing up it looks VERY CG. I mean its good cg dont get me wrong but far from what was promised. Still looking forward to it though, its james cameron, it looks to be original therefore it cant go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Patricide wrote: »
    Looks meh to me....cg wise i mean, at first my jaw was dropped when its showing the wheelchair bound dude with the environments. Then from when the blue people start showing up it looks VERY CG. I mean its good cg dont get me wrong but far from what was promised. Still looking forward to it though, its james cameron, it looks to be original therefore it cant go wrong!

:eek:WHAT?!?!?! Doth my ears deceive me??? I thought the cg looked amazing. AMAZING. It definitely tops anything been done like that before.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

LazyClouds wrote: »
    :eek:WHAT?!?!?! Doth my ears deceive me??? I thought the cg looked amazing. AMAZING. It definitely tops anything been done like that before.:eek:

It did nothing for me like the first time I saw the dinosaurs from Jurassic.

Its good, but cameron said that this would be the next jump like what stop CG was to stop motion. I dont think he succeeded.

• Advertisement

I suppose all will be revealed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The only downfall i can see with this movie is selling it to the masses , a 2d trailer will never give the full impression .
    I think it will be amazing they should get the cinemas to screen 3d trailers to get the masses interested

The only downfall i can see with this movie is selling it to the masses , a 2d trailer will never give the full impression .
    I think it will be amazing they should get the cinemas to screen 3d trailers to get the masses interested

I second that.
    They should also STOP showing tv ads... annoying...

I second that.
    They should also STOP showing tv ads... annoying...
    Tv ads for avatar i havent seen any yet?
    what channel

Tv ads for avatar i havent seen any yet?
    what channel

No no no no... sorry... I mean they should stop showing tv ads in the cinema, like maltesers..
    but actually it would be good if they didnt show any film ads on tv and saved them all for the cinema.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Its good, but cameron said that this would be the next jump like what stop CG was to stop motion. I dont think he succeeded.

I don't think you can say he hasn't succeeded if you are judging by seeing a 2D trailer on a computer screen. You can only make a sound judgement after seeing the film on a cinema screen in 3D.

I don't think you can say he hasn't succeeded if you are judging by seeing a 2D trailer on a computer screen. You can only make a sound judgement after seeing the film on a cinema screen in 3D.
    Totally agree unless you see it in 3d you cant really knock it.

But the thing is, Basing it on that you have to watch it on a 3d screen is kinda preposterous. I mean i know for a fact most of the worlds cinemas arent 3d, nearly all of the worlds televisions(if not all) are not 3d. It will probably make the experience a lot more immersive for the select few who who have the luxury of 3d but if it isn't accessible to the masses then its not the huge leap forward in my books. Plus im no expert on 3d but to my knowlege having things in 3d doesnt effect the cg quality?

But the thing is, Basing it on that you have to watch it on a 3d screen is kinda preposterous. I mean i know for a fact most of the worlds cinemas arent 3d, nearly all of the worlds televisions(if not all) are not 3d. It will probably make the experience a lot more immersive for the select few who who have the luxury of 3d but if it isn't the huge leap forward for the masses then it is failure in my books. Plus im no expert on 3d but to my knowlege having things in 3d doesnt effect the cg quality?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/aug/20/james-cameron-avatar-3d-film

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Lashed it onto me WDTV on a 46 inch tele. Looks more convincing larger for some reason. Still a wee bit disappointed as first impressions. TBH I don't think it's 100% final render. If you look at the bit where Worthington wheels down the ramp to the landing platform the backround looks a bit animated still. I don't think there's going to be MUCH of a change. It remains to be seen how the 3d will affect the effects. But we're all going to be watching this in 2D on our teles eventually so........
    Anyway, I have faith in Cameron. sure he puts on a spectacle but he also makes a damn fine story. Remember, this is the guy who gave us Terminator, T2, Aliens, The Abyss, Piranha 2.... yeah, and titanic. ahem....... so it's not ALL about the effects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm not convinced. Honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing District 9 far, far more than Avatar. Here's hoping there's a decent story, because impressive visuals don't make the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭darth conway

anyone got a ticket there not using?

Your point of this link exactly? I read the whole thing and it basically says that although 3d makes it more immersive fook all cinemas have it and it costs something along the lines of 80 k to implement the technology, therefore highlighting my point that for the everyman this film wont be such a major leap forward. Hell ill be checking it out in 3d(going to mean a trip to cork but im a massive cameron fan) but i cant imagine every joe soap making a trip, or every cinema forking out 80k to keep up with the technology!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The HD versions are definitely the way to go... it's decent without getting me too pumped to be fair.

Doesn't give away much..

Also, is it bad that I get a weird vibe of "Beowulf" off the CGI?!

Meh, time will tell!

Your point of this link exactly? I read the whole thing and it basically says that although 3d makes it more immersive fook all cinemas have it and it costs something along the lines of 80 k to implement the technology, therefore highlighting my point that for the everyman this film wont be such a major leap forward. Hell ill be checking it out in 3d(going to mean a trip to cork but im a massive cameron fan) but i cant imagine every joe soap making a trip, or every cinema forking out 80k to keep up with the technology!

i wasn't trying to contradict you...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It looks a bit silly at first but once you get used to it, it's pretty breathtaking. Nice trailer, it gives jack all away as to what it's actually about (other than Worthington's character
    clearly going through with the transformation because his human body crapped out on him
    ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

a noob question

was avatar filmed for the 3d projectors we have in cinemas know or more advanced ones?

what im pretty much saying is the 3d avatar in cinemas in dublin gonna be how cameron wanted it be seen or are we getting a lesser verison due to lack of upgrade/whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Loved the trailer. Worth the wait (IMO). It looks spectacular. I'm lucky enough to get to see 15mins tomorrow afternoon, which I'm quite excited about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭darth conway

if anyone has a spare ticket id appreciate a m cheers lads

i wasn't trying to contradict you...:(
    Ah my bad!

Ah my bad!

No probs, we coo.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

So I saw the 15 minutes in Cineworld this morning and it was fantastic. As superb as the teaser trailer looks, in 3D it's mind blowing. And it does 3D very well, without pointing out to the audience that it is 3D so nothing juts out towards the screen or anything stupid like that.

The 15 mins was just a collection of scenes from the first half of the movie (spoiler free, as a little clip of Cameron lets us know before it starts) showing the human army people being talked at by a seargent or something, and then the science bit in the trailer, followed by sequences in the avatar blue-people forrest world... thing.

I was massively impressed by it. Worth waiting 10 years for? Possibly, depends on how the story unfolds. The technology is really well presented though. CG characters look extremely well, and don't take you out of the world at all.

Roll on December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Ahhhhh....so this is the Avatar movie i've heard absolutely nothing about until i was slated in the Last Airbender thread. Which i also had heard absolutely nothing about.
    I'll be getting my hat and leaving again..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Looks savage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Meh. Looks like a cartoon.

Poo.

Advertisement