Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hick wrote: »
    bottom line if you like Animation then this is right up your street but that's not mass market, lemon, I afraid it might be. :eek:

What are you talking about. I've always wanted to see a CG version of Ferngully. Thankfully, Cameron is making my wishes come true. I only hope he stays true to the original and has a rapping Bat in it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

I'm talking about it looking too animated, given the budget etc I expected it too look a lot more real, the 'Avatars' just look too fake. Look it would be fine if it was all the same but they are mixing real life capture with animation, the last movie to do that well was Who framed Roger Rabbit but I'm sure Cameron is aiming at another Genre.

LOTR shows how to do CG animation with real life capture well but even Gollum is looking a tad dated now, you'd just think it would look more life like than fake

Thanks my opinion anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What are you talking about. I've always wanted to see a CG version of Ferngully. Thankfully, Cameron is making my wishes come true. I only hope he stays true to the original and has a rapping Bat in it at some stage.

made me laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Some great really really HD pics been released:

http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com/2009/10/avatar-new-uhq-promotional-pics.html

Those ones of the Na'vi are great, when you see how details the cgi is on their hair and skin textures up close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Edit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

please let this be as good as it can be

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

krudler wrote: »
    Those ones of the Na'vi are great, when you see how details the cgi is on their hair and skin textures up close

stills are one thing, but it's the movement that matters. The human eye is extremely sensitive when it comes up to looking at another beings face. We pick up loads of information we don't even realise (it's partly the cause of the uncanny valley effect). I remember seeing stills from Beowulf and thinking they where amazing, but the actual film itself couldn't cut the mustard. like a lot of CGI, their faces looked vacant, their eyes empty and their mouth movements unnatural.

If Cameron can pull it off with Avatar he'll have succeeded where no one has before. My money is on that he won't. I don't think the technology is quite there yet, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

L31mr0d wrote: »

If Cameron can pull it off with Avatar he'll have succeeded where no one has before. My money is on that he won't. I don't think the technology is quite there yet, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

+1 I was disappointed with the catoony effect of the na'vi in the HD trailer, it'll take some doing for this to live up to his viral campaign!

Advertisement