Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with car insurance

• 14-08-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a few questions surrounding car insurance. I'm having a very hard time getting a reasonable quote including the benefits that I want so here it goes:

1. My renewal date is end of August. I had an accident (my fault) in September 2006. Can I renew my car insurance at the end of August, cancel the policy at the end of September, and take out a new policy saying that I have not had an accident in the last 3 years (by the end of September the accident will have been more that 3 years ago). Is it worth doing this? And can I keep the 2 year NCD I have accumulated then?

2. Can anyone recommend good comprehensive insurance for lady drivers? I want one that covers more than €150 for personal belongings stolen from the car (I know I know, don't leave them in it, which I don't generally, but I have been stung with a break in before so I'd like to have more cover there if possible!).

I also want breakdown assistance, car hire, towing etc thrown in, windscreen cover, fully comp too.

Any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 timminytimtim

1. yes. think you can do that. good idea :). just make sure you stay with the same insurer.

2. www.easyquote.ie - you get a load of different quotes and they even beat 123 for me. ladystar from eagle star is also a good policy but is not the cheapest these days.

But, would you really want to lose your no claims bonus for €150 of personal belongings? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thread very carefully here, alot of insurance companies will ask you if you had a claim made against you in the last five years, not three. I would advise against not disclosing this information to them as later it could void your policy if you are involved in another accident and the incident comes to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Apple Orange

Thanks All.

O there's no way I wouldn't disclose it if they asked about 5 years! I've noticed alot of them asking about 3 years though, and since mine is almost 3 years ago, its causing my insurance to be very high now, whereas without the claim it would be much lower.

Just checked easyquote, one of the assumptions is no claims in 5 years so can't get a quote from them!

And most policies do not take your NCB for a personal belongings claim! I wouldn't claim if they were going to do that!

Thanks for the help guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

There is nothing to stop you doing as you propose and if the question only asks about 3 years, then you would not be misrepresenting the situation. It would be usual though, for your NCB letter to state the extent of the claim you suffered with them. But if an insurer only asks about the last 3 years, they will generally ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's my understanding that NCBs increment for each full year of insurance. i.e. you have to have a full year of continuous policy cover to get a year's NCB.

I asked about cancelling my policy early a few months back and I was told that if I did, I would lose the pending year on my NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 funlol

Hi All,

I have a few questions surrounding car insurance. I'm having a very hard time getting a reasonable quote including the benefits that I want so here it goes:

1. My renewal date is end of August. I had an accident (my fault) in September 2006. Can I renew my car insurance at the end of August, cancel the policy at the end of September, and take out a new policy saying that I have not had an accident in the last 3 years (by the end of September the accident will have been more that 3 years ago). Is it worth doing this? And can I keep the 2 year NCD I have accumulated then?

2. Can anyone recommend good comprehensive insurance for lady drivers? I want one that covers more than €150 for personal belongings stolen from the car (I know I know, don't leave them in it, which I don't generally, but I have been stung with a break in before so I'd like to have more cover there if possible!).

I also want breakdown assistance, car hire, towing etc thrown in, windscreen cover, fully comp too.

Any help?

1. should be no problem.. u gotta find a flexible insurance agent tho
    2. 4insure is good for ladies (and also very flexible :))

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

2. Can anyone recommend good comprehensive insurance for lady drivers?
    My wife is just after changing her car insurance over to its4women.ie as they worked out cheaper than any of the other quotes we got. Might be worth checking out.

Advertisement