Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So can we sell pistols?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Just a quick question.

Can we sell our pistols? I am looking to sell one of mine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Blazher wrote: »
    Hello all.

Just a quick question.

Can we sell our pistols? I am looking to sell one of mine.

Surly more to the point is........

Who can buy them?????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Indeed you can.
    OUTSIDE the ROI.:mad:
    Here,you cant do nothing anymore with the one you have.You cant sell it to another person as new liscenses wont be issued for CF,trade,swop,or exchange like for like.Dealers wont buy them.Who is going to buy somthing they cant sell locally,and without a load of bother in the EU?
    Thats the only way you will shift a centrefire.
    .22,well,it is if,but,maybe at the moment.Dont expect great money either,certainly not what we paid for them in Celtic Tiger Ireland,which was overblown in the first place.
    You'll get the going market rate of what your paticular pistol is in a 2ndhand condition.Could try NI,or better still join a club up there and keep yours as a "club gun,and continue shooting the sport [To paraphase another reviled Irishman in his time]... that was banned here and dare not show its name.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Hi Blazer, You can sell it to a firearms dealer here if he will take it or to a dealer in the North if he will take it or Section 5 Dealer in the UK. But none of them are going to give you the value in relation to what you paid for it here which was over the top in the first place. Remember it is now a second hand pistol.

Edited: Snap Grizzly, Sorry I did not see your post before I posted mine, I'm glad to see we agree on something.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Sikamick wrote: »
    Hi Blazer, You can sell it to a firearms dealer here if he will take it or to a dealer in the North if he will take it or Section 5 Dealer in the UK. But none of them are going to give you the value in relation to what you paid for it here which was over the top in the first place. Remember it is now a second hand pistol.

Sikamick

Second hand pistol used 2 times mick :(

Well if anyone knows any dealers looking for a Tanfogilo Gold Custom (new model ) with extra work done to it by Eric with full IPSC shooting gear. Bag/CR Speed belt hostler mag holders etc about 6 grands worth of kit for 1500 euro let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Have you had a look at www.egun.de?

It's in German obviously, but as the ebay of guns, it might be worth investigating.

Certainly if you're considering taking a hit of 75% of the value of your gear :eek:

PS, I know you can choose english on the site, but it's only lip sevice.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    Have you had a look at www.egun.de?

It's in German obviously, but as the ebay of guns, it might be worth investigating.

Certainly if you're considering taking a hit of 75% of the value of your gear :eek:

PS, I know you can choose english on the site, but it's only lip sevice.

haha thank you .

i will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Blazer I am sorry for all the lads that will have to sell their pistols and loose money on them. One of our members a couple of months ago had bought CZ75 and got it pimped, overall cost 2300 Euro, he seen what was happening and went back to the firearms dealer to try and sell it back.

Story: Dealer says sorry it is a secondhand hand gun, offer 800 Euro, this pistol had only fired 100 rounds.

Sikamick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have a pistol licence pre 19th november. Should i be re-issued with my new licence whats to stop me buying a pistol of the same calibre from a private seller.

Blazher, is it a 9mm and any chance of a pic. Seen photos on the web but would like to get a peek at yours. If your not comfortable no hassle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Firstly Harly, you hardly think that less than 1800 handguns is going to affect the european market so much that everything drops in value by a half!

That's assuming everyone doesn't get their licence renewed which is not certain by a long shot.

Secondly, you wouldn't have to sell it immediately, but leave it with a dealer.

Thirdly, without changing the law one iota and not making any moves so far to change it, I'm in serious doubt as to whether (a) it's going to happen or (b) this Minister is capable of the task.

Fourthly, if you're so quick to give up, one would wonder how serious you are about the sport in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

harly1516 wrote: »
    Firstly Harly, you hardly think that less than 1800 handguns is going to affect the european market so much that everything drops in value by a half!

That's assuming everyone doesn't get their licence renewed which is not certain by a long shot.

Secondly, you wouldn't have to sell it immediately, but leave it with a dealer.

Thirdly, without changing the law one iota and not making any moves so far to change it, I'm in serious doubt as to whether (a) it's going to happen or (b) this Minister is capable of the task.

Fourthly, if you're so quick to give up, one would wonder how serious you are about the sport in the first place
    Now we see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

What's going on in this thread? harly1516 is referring to himself in one post and then remonstrating with himself in another - how odd:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Some people had more money than sense during the celtic tiger ,six grand for a gun and only used is twice
    you got burned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

fat-tony wrote: »
    What's going on in this thread? harly1516 is referring to himself in one post and then remonstrating with himself in another - how odd:confused:

maybe hes posting in front of a mirror:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

maybe hes posting in front of a mirror:D:D
    har har:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

4gun wrote: »
    Some people had more money than sense during the celtic tiger ,six grand for a gun and only used is twice
    you got burned...

we got burned for everything in this country during the celtic tiger days and still getting burned after , and the same band of clowns who banned pistols are the ones to blame for the lot of it .:mad:

only payback you have is your vote , i can't wait for the next elections ....

siht ekil dekool evah dluow tsop sih esac taht ni

4gun wrote: »
    you got burned...

Thats a bit harsh. I bought a Sig over a year ago and because of the dealers refusing to take it in as a trade in or for sale its value has halved even though the price is still the same for a new one. Don't feeled burned but definitely feel hard done by. Another consequence of the CJB.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

well maybe not ... it looked good in my head:D

ezridax wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh. I bought a Sig over a year ago and because of the dealers refusing to take it in as a trade in or for sale its value has halved even though the price is still the same for a new one. Don't feeled burned but definitely feel hard done by. Another consequence of the CJB.

Isn't this person one of the reasons for the new ligislation, .....just go a gun because he had six grand to spare, bet he showed it to all his friends any time they came round... fired it twice .... scared the livin' s**t of him more like .... unless he's a serious target shooter and I'm completely talking crap:rolleyes: yeah:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Must have spoken to over a dozen lads in the last few weeks who are selling some, most or all of their guns. Some has to do with the hassle of the new re-application, and some simply want to scale back and concentrate on fewer disciplines, the last of them simply can't afford to keep shooting so they are eliminating the expense altogether. Nobody but blahzer knows why he is considering selling his pistol but i know for sure (myself included) he is not the only one considering it and will not be the only one to take a hit on the prices.

• Advertisement

haha!

Lets clear something up here.

I have been shooting pistol since 2004. I was one of the first people in the state to get a pistol permit.

I was a very active shooter.

I upgraded my pistol to the model i have now, Because i had plans to compete over seas. But got called up with work.

I have been away from Ireland for the last 7 months. I came back to find all the new laws and the mess we are in now.

So get your facts right before you pass Judgments on people.

/EndRant

As this is the interweb and there are alot of keyboard warriors. I will not say any more on the matter.

It is a shame that it has came to this. Like others i have spent alot of money and time for my sport. But in one action the state kills off all the hard work of many.

Thanks for the info lads.

Take it easy.

Originally posted by Blazher

......Like others i have spent alot of money and time for my sport. But in one action the state kills off all the hard work of many.......

+1:mad:

well then...:oyou have my sincerest apologies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Be better off keeping your centerfire pistol. If they ever issue the guidelines, you will know what is required to renew your licence. We need to then keep centerfire pistol shooting active. This is really up to the clubs. The NGBs usually work from an annual calender. Clubs can organise shoots at short notice, for example Harbour House (fair play lads).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

haha!

Lets clear something up here.

I have been shooting pistol since 2004. I was one of the first people in the state to get a pistol permit.

I was a very active shooter.

I upgraded my pistol to the model i have now, Because i had plans to compete over seas. But got called up with work.

I have been away from Ireland for the last 7 months. I came back to find all the new laws and the mess we are in now.

So get your facts right before you pass Judgments on people.

/EndRant

As this is the interweb and there are alot of keyboard warriors. I will not say any more on the matter.

It is a shame that it has came to this. Like others i have spent alot of money and time for my sport. But in one action the state kills off all the hard work of many.

Take it easy.
    but it wasn't the state who killed it off , it was ahern who made it quite clear that he did not like the fact that firearms were in the hands of the public , he forced through this crackpot ban despite the fact that most of the opposition and a fair few in his own party had misgivings about the fairness (or lack of) of it .
    we have all in our respective clubs worked hard and spent a lot of money to get pistol ranges up and running and in a condition that would allow them to pass inspection , that was all swept away with no thought what so ever from ahern and we are now in a right mess,

Originally posted by Kryten

Be better off keeping your centerfire pistol. If they ever issue the guidelines, you will know what is required to renew your licence. We need to then keep centerfire pistol shooting active.

On the money there. I fully intend to comply with any guidelines set out to retain my pistol. I didn't jump on the "i'm entitled to one so i want one" bandwagon. I took up pistol shooting as a sport, same as my benchrest and fullbore/centrefire rifle shooting and i'll do whatever is necessary to ensure its continuation and survival.

again my apologies to blazher
    at the moment I'm very frustrated with our beloved leaders:rolleyes: and their total lack of(overpaid) leadership..:mad:.
    sorry... you just got in the line of fire:o
    I'm pretty sure the thugs in Limerick and Dublin will get to keep their guns
    I'm begining to think that laws are only made for us sheep.....baah

Take it easy.
    Did you have a look at egun Blazher?

I'm not sure what the mechanism is for selling and obviously there's lots of paperwork to figure out, but it really would be a sickener to drop so much money especially if it can be sold for a reasonable amount overseas.

I remember looking at your gun on the for sale forum and it really is a beaut.

So don't give up on getting a good price and a good home for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Kryten wrote: »
    The NGBs usually work from an annual calender. Clubs can organise shoots at short notice
    Just to clear up something there - the Clubs are the only ones who organise competitions (with the exception of the Nationals). The NGBs are a few guys who coordinate things. They don't run matches, they don't have the manpower. Clubs run matches, NGBs track calendar dates and scores and rankings and averages and other data like that and act as a clearing-house for information for all their Clubs.

But only Clubs run matches.

(in most sports, at least).

• Advertisement

fat-tony wrote: »
    I think that first post was a quote from me :o

He just omitted to QUOTE it.

And he's right; I must have been suffering from a serious case of optimism at the time or else I was p*ssed ;)

But if the dealers are taking the mick, then sell outside the country. I think there needs to be a bit of an exercise done in what exactly is needed to sell like that.

It really is a sign of the times :(

Advertisement