Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What documents do i need before i go to the dole office to claim?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I'm a 27 year old guy living at home, and also own a house which I currently have leased out. I'm also paying a loan back(to a different bank) for land i bought in 2007. I finished working for a construction company in may 2007 and since then I have lived in the US for 3 months and last year lived in Oz for 9 months. Any work that ive done in Ireland in between has been 'cash in hand'. but now as work is drying up i just wanted to know if:

1) I am eligable to claim the dole.
    2) What documentation I need before going to the dole office.
    3) And really, what is the normal process in applying, and recieving the dole.

I would be extremely grateful for any information,
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

scouse2009 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm a 27 year old guy living at home, and also own a house which I currently have leased out. I'm also paying a loan back(to a different bank) for land i bought in 2007. I finished working for a construction company in may 2007 and since then I have lived in the US for 3 months and last year lived in Oz for 9 months. Any work that ive done in Ireland in between has been 'cash in hand'. but now as work is drying up i just wanted to know if:

1) I am eligable to claim the dole.
    2) What documentation I need before going to the dole office.
    3) And really, what is the normal process in applying, and recieving the dole.

I would be extremely grateful for any information,
    Cheers.

To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit you must:
    • Be unemployed (you must be fully unemployed or unemployed for at least 3 days in 6)
    • Be under 66 years of age
    • Have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions
    • Be capable of work
    • Be available for and genuinely seeking work
    • Have a substantial loss of employment and as a result be unemployed for at least 3 days in 6.
    Social insurance (PRSI) contributions

In order to qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit, you must pay Class A, H or P PRSI contributions. Class A is the one paid by most private sector employees. Class H is paid by soldiers, reservists and temporary army nurses, who do not qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit until they have left the army.
    • At least 104 weeks PRSI paid since you first started work
    And
    • Have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)
    Or
    • Have 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.
    *If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year, you must have the 13 contributions paid in any of one the following years:
    • The 2 tax years before the relevant tax year
    • The last complete tax year
    • The current tax year.
    The Relevant Tax Year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which your claim is made. So, for claims made in 2009, the Relevant Tax Year is 2007.

If you dont have sufficient contributions for JB - there is JA which is a means tested scheme. The fact that you are living at home will be taken on board as benefit and privilege, and the rent that you are receiving from your rented house together with the fact you own land will also be counted as means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

GER12 wrote: »
    If you dont have sufficient contributions for JB - there is JA which is a means tested scheme. The fact that you are living at home will be taken on board as benefit and privilege, and the rent that you are receiving from your rented house together with the fact you own land will also be counted as means.
    As you are over 25 Benefit and Privilege won't affect you. However the value of the land (minus loan) and the capital value of the house (value minus mortgage) will be assessed against you - if it is allowance you need to claim.

It all depends what you were doing in 2007 - if you worked for most of this year paying PRSI, and worked paying PRSI for at least another year, then you should qualify for Benefit.

When you are going in to claim you will need proof of ID and proof of address - and P45 if you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Thanks... thought it did for persons living at home....my mistake?

Advertisement