Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo this season.

• 14-08-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

I don't want to make this seem like sour grapes. I'm a United fan, and I genuinely have a great deal of affection for the guy. I always will; like I still do with Beckham, and when I watch England or Milan i want to see him do well. I feel the same about Ronaldo, and I wish him luck, and will always watch out for him for the rest of his career. But.........

Do you think he'll be as good for Madrid? Because I don't. There's a couple of points, first off, he's been bred by United, he always had the talent, but playing for us he learned his craft, and the while the team wasn't necessarily built around him, it was built with him as a cornerstone.

Now this isn't about United, and I believe we'll struggle without him. But I think he might too. I believe, no .. I KNOW that what he gave united, united gave back to him. He had almost the perfect side for a guy of his style -- a side that had flair, but were also very strong. This was a guy who had Wayne Rooney (one of the top 10/15 players in the World?), as his water carrier. In a nutshell I think it's easy to overlook, how much united elevated him to the point where he could show his true greatness. Will he get this at Madrid?

It's an interesting one, and time will tell. I don't expect United to fall apart, and I don't expect Ronaldo to seamlessly continue in his quest to be the GOAT (he could well be, but not next season). I think he might find that he had a very nice set-up with United -- a team he grew up with, and that might be a rude awakening for him.

Opinions?

P.S. Comparisons to Zidane might pop up, but remember (and this is sort of my point), he never grew up with a world class side -- one that delivered Champions league finals, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

davyjose wrote: »
    This was a guy who had Wayne Rooney (one of the top 10/15 players in the World?)

not likely tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I hope he dies on his arse out there. I'm not a Manchester United supporter.

Ronaldo is the epitome of the over-paid ego-inflated himbo who throughly believes all his own hype. His attitude to the game and to sportsmanship makes me puke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Ronaldo is the epitome of the over-paid ego-inflated himbo who throughly believes all his own hype. His attitude to the game and to sportsmanship makes me puke.

I agree, the guy is a cheat, simple as that.
    I wont miss his tantrums in the premier league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

At least he won't be wrecking everyones head in Fantasy Football.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was going to ask was he trying to be a GOAT because of his constant bleating, but then I realised you meant Greatest Of All Time (I assume), and then I laughed more at that than I did when I thought you were on about him being a goat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

People forget that Zidane was actually rubbish for Real Madrid in the first 6 months at the Bernabeu. The record transfer fee put alot of pressure on him and he was quite awful in a few of his first few games.

Also people forget that Zidane was never the player who continually tried to turn a game on it's head, he'd first dictate the rhythm to a comfortable level, and eventually he'd play one or two balls that split opened the defence and allowed Raul/ Ronaldo/ Figo/ etc to bury.

He was the epitome of a big game player, and it was frustrating to see him underperform consistently with Madrid and then be absolutely spellbounding for France. Cristiano is more of a player who constantly needs to be attacking the oppositions goal, taking shots, running at defenders, running into space. He is a more direct player, so his influence on the game can be more noticeable, meaning regardless of whether he is playing bad/ good, he sticks out like a sore thumb.

It'll be interesting to see how the Madridista fans receive him after a spell of bad games, afterall, 80,000 people went to see his unveiling, but barely half that showed up for his first appearance. Kinda ironic really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not likely tbh.

Had to get the knife in early Alan :rolleyes:

Mr Alan: Protector of the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

eZe^ wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how the Madridista fans receive him after a spell of bad games, afterall, 80,000 people went to see his unveiling, but barely half that showed up for his first appearance. Kinda ironic really....

Don't think 40,000 people would have fit in the Tallaght stadium tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan: Protector of the truth.

lol

im going to have to remember that quote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

5starpool wrote: »
    I was going to ask was he trying to be a GOAT because of his constant bleating, but then I realised you meant Greatest Of All Time (I assume), and then I laughed more at that than I did when I thought you were on about him being a goat.

That's commenting on the thread without really commenting. You can question his place one the list of best ever. But how much more accoplished were Diego or Zinedine at his age. It's not as far beyond the realms of possibility as your scoffing suggests.

Is there anyone on here willing to treat my OP as a proper discussion or is it troll season here on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

keane2097 wrote: »
    Had to get the knife in early Alan :rolleyes:

T'was inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Hope he completely flops and comes crawling back to SAF, I dispise him though, it was said a few posts ago-he is the perfect example of an overpaid footballer with all his slapping the ground and shouting, he loves himself to no end and by all accounts kept to himself when he met up with the Madrid squad for a few weeks.

He was the epitome of a big game player,

But the thing about Ronaldo is he's the epitome of the small game player. That's less derisory that it seems. That 70/80 points that we got from those 30 "small" games(i.e. not Pool/Cheslea/Arsenal), were massively down to Ronaldo's ability to just pwn the so called "lesser" teams.

Was that a united thing, or a Ronaldo thing though? I guess we'll find out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It's an interesting one, and time will tell. I don't expect United to fall apart, and I don't expect Ronaldo to seamlessly continue in his quest to be the GOAT (he could well be, but not next season).

Don't be ridiculous.

WHAT????

Don't be ridiculous.

I think what's infinitely more ridiculous, is a guy who thinks 3 words represents an argument, or even a valid opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

All footballers are over-paid to a degree , but hardly his fault.If someone says do you want €200,000 a week you don't say no.

Plus I doubt he would be the player he is if he didn't have supreme self confidence in his own ability , something seemingly frowned upon in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

To be fair though I never had anything against Ronaldo. He's a savage player and Real was the club he always wanted to be at.

It's going to be hard to stomach Alonso setting up Ronaldo with a few goals this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think what's infinitely more ridiculous, is a guy who thinks 3 words represents an argument, or even a valid opinion.

There is almost nothing Ronaldo could do this season that would bring him into consideration for one of the best players of all time.
    In fact, he’ll have a lot to do to be thought of as the best in the world now. I think most neutrals would give that tag to Messi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He was the epitome of a big game player, and it was frustrating to see him underperform consistently with Madrid and then be absolutely spellbounding for France. Cristiano is more of a player who constantly needs to be attacking the oppositions goal, taking shots, running at defenders, running into space. He is a more direct player, so his influence on the game can be more noticeable, meaning regardless of whether he is playing bad/ good, he sticks out like a sore thumb.

This. He only one one Serie A while at Juve and that was when he got injured and Del Piero played out of his skin and his Madrid team didn't exactly dominate La Liga either. One or two leagues out of 6 I think. Ronaldo is the exact opposite to Zizou. He plays well in any game but rarely plays out of his skin the way Zizou did when it really really mattered. He's a much better league player than him.

If he can settle in the new formation then Real should challenge easily but Real had the Dutch midfield it was just after they had mezmerized everybody in Euro 2008 and they did sweet **** all for them last year. I think Real's team will all depend on Xabi Alonso and a Diarra. If they play well together then Real have all the attacking nouse to take La Liga but if they don't set the pace Real and Ronaldo will struggle

WHAT????

Diving, kicking out at players when the ref wasnt looking, trying to influence ref decisions=cheating!

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If he can settle in the new formation then Real should challenge easily but Real had the Dutch midfield it was just after they had mezmerized everybody in Euro 2008 and they did sweet **** all for them last year. I think Real's team will all depend on Xabi Alonso and a Diarra. If they play well together then Real have all the attacking nouse to take La Liga but if they don't set the pace Real and Ronaldo will struggle

I agree Bubs. See the thing I think Ronaldo doesn't realise (and is perhaps a prelude to the faults people accuse him of), is that without a very solid team behind him, he could just look like a very good player, rather than an AMAZING player.

For those still p!ssing their pants, over the comment I made about Ronaldo being the GOAT, I think he has a long, long way to go before he can even contemplate this. The reason I put it down was because he does have a shot at it, however remote that possibility may be. But more pertinently, I know Ronaldo himself believes he can be. That's why I said it.

Diving, kicking out at players when the ref wasnt looking, trying to influence ref decisions=cheating!

I agree that he has cheated, as I believe 99.9% of professional Footballers have at one point, but that this is your overriding opinion of the man is what surprises me.

People that dismiss him merely as a cheater, are not treating the guy with utmost objectivity IMO.

I agree that he has cheated, as I believe 99.9% of professional Footballers have at one point, but that this is your overriding opinion of the man is what surprises me.

People that dismiss him merely as a cheater, are not treating the guy with utmost objectivity IMO.

He did it more than most. The amount of times he dived in a game was ridiculous.
    I dont think he should have been awarded world player of the year because of the terrible example he sets to young kids, he brings the game into disrepute.
    I dont care how talented he was.

He did it more than most. The amount of times he dived in a game was ridiculous.
    I dont think he should have been awarded world player of the year because of the terrible example he sets to young kids, he brings the game into disrepute.

Bull****. Diving is talent. Getting penalties from nowhere is talent.

And in the Premiership everyone has someone who does it. Liverpool fans think Ronaldo and Droggy are scum because they dive while holding Stevie in the highest regard. Chelsea fans think Gerrard and Ronaldo are diving cheater while Didier is a passionate man with a will to win who gets caught up in the heat of the moment. Man Utd fans think that Gerrard and Drogba are a disgrace while at the same time they used to adore Ronaldo.

And in the Premiership everyone has someone who does it. Liverpool fans think Ronaldo and Droggy are scum because they dive while holding Stevie in the highest regard. Chelsea fans think Gerrard and Ronaldo are diving cheater while Didier is a passionate man with a will to win who gets caught up in the heat of the moment. Man Utd fans think that Gerrard and Drogba are a disgrace while at the same time they used to adore Ronaldo.

Now thats the biggest load of sh1te that ive ever heard LOL
    Yeh wouldnt it be a great game if everyone was as 'talented' as Ronaldo then and everyone just cheated their way to the top.
    Sure why dont we get rid of the referees then too sure!

He was fouled more than most, Fink. Let's be honest.

but I'm still struggling to comprehend how your foremost opinion of Ronaldo (as a footballer; on the pitch) is a negative one. It's like getting in a Ferrari and complaining because it doesn't have a cup-holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You're asking for it with that statement. But diving and conning the ref is considered talent in some countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I wont miss his tantrums in the premier league

I'll miss his tantrums terribly.....always good for a laugh.:D

He was fouled more than most, Fink. Let's be honest.

but I'm still struggling to comprehend how your foremost opinion of Ronaldo (as a footballer; on the pitch) is a negative one. It's like getting in a Ferrari and complaining because it doesn't have a cup-holder.

Is this Alex Ferguson talking now!

ME HOLE!!!!

....always good for a laugh.:D

As was seeing everyone else NOT top of the league ;)

As was seeing everyone else NOT top of the league ;)

As it was beating united 1-4 at Old Trafford! :D

Is this Alex Ferguson talking now!

ME HOLE!!!!

iirc you said you watch 90% of utd games

so you shouldve gone to spec savers if you missed all the dirty tackles on him

btw your turning into my favourite poster atm,taking over from x in the city

Headshot wrote: »
    iirc you said you watch 90% of utd games

so you shouldve gone to spec savers if you missed all the dirty tackles on him

btw your turning into my favourite poster atm,taking over from x in the city

Fergie is the one with the glasses not me.
    He called and b1tched for more fouls than anyone else yeh i'll give you that, the little conman!

• Advertisement

As it was beating united 1-4 at Old Trafford! :D

I'll admit, that day burned. It's amazing what a salve our 11th Premier League title was though. You should try it some time....

... feels nice.:pac:

He called and b1tched for more fouls than anyone else yeh i'll give you that, the little conman!

going to be a great season on the sf :D

ill explain for ya

Ronaldo was one of the quickest players in the EPL and when you go that fast any little shove can bring a player down also being around 6ft means he doesnt have a low centre of gravity unlike messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I have to say I do agree with this to an extent, faking injuries is something I really hate though (here's looking at you Didier).

diving is not a talent, no more so than injecting steroids is. Some people may be better at getting away with it than others, but that does not make them "talented", it's cheating. end of.

Fink, this was a thread about how Ronaldo is going to fare in Spain. No offence (and maybe I made the mistake of thinking there was a bit of banter going on), but you really come across as a bitter, semi-knowledgeable Football fan right now.

Shame.

• Advertisement

diving is not a talent, no more so than injecting steroids is. Some people may be better at getting away with it than others, but that does not make them "talented", it's cheating. end of.

Some people have to write in big letters to get the attention they keep seeking

Fink, this was a thread about how Ronaldo is going to fare in Spain. No offence (and maybe I made the mistake of thinking there was a bit of banter going on), but you really come across as a bitter, semi-knowledgeable Football fan right now.

Shame.

Nope just dont like cheats :D

diving is not a talent,

Either is trolling dude. That you haven't been banned from Soccer for your RELENTLESS goading on the United Thread, is a mystery. But trust you to pick one of a million comments and go to town on it, in size ten.

Pathetic.

Post Reported for Trolling.

Nope just dont like cheats :D

Guess you're not a fan of Gerrard so. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I dont see how people say they will "miss" him , He'll be featuring in as many if not more live matches on Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I think one thing everyone seems to agree on is that they hope he has a terrible season, for various reasons. Personally, I want the entire team to fail collectively, to show money can't buy success. I'll still be a fan of Ronaldo though.;)

Comparing diving in a game to taking steroids. I'd expect alot more from you Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I don't want to make this seem like sour grapes. I'm a United fan, and I genuinely have a great deal of affection for the guy. I always will; like I still do with Beckham, and when I watch England or Milan i want to see him do well. I feel the same about Ronaldo, and I wish him luck, and will always watch out for him for the rest of his career. But.........

Do you think he'll be as good for Madrid? Because I don't. There's a couple of points, first off, he's been bred by United, he always had the talent, but playing for us he learned his craft, and the while the team wasn't necessarily built around him, it was built with him as a cornerstone.

Now this isn't about United, and I believe we'll struggle without him. But I think he might too. I believe, no .. I KNOW that what he gave united, united gave back to him. He had almost the perfect side for a guy of his style -- a side that had flair, but were also very strong. This was a guy who had Wayne Rooney (one of the top 10/15 players in the World?), as his water carrier. In a nutshell I think it's easy to overlook, how much united elevated him to the point where he could show his true greatness. Will he get this at Madrid?

It's an interesting one, and time will tell. I don't expect United to fall apart, and I don't expect Ronaldo to seamlessly continue in his quest to be the GOAT (he could well be, but not next season). I think he might find that he had a very nice set-up with United -- a team he grew up with, and that might be a rude awakening for him.

Opinions?

P.S. Comparisons to Zidane might pop up, but remember (and this is sort of my point), he never grew up with a world class side -- one that delivered Champions league finals, etc.

Torres although not "bred" by Liverpool seemed to do very well when he came across the water so can't really see Ronaldo failing 'cos the almighty "water carrier" that is Rooney is not holding him up.
    And as for learning his craft at Utd, if you mean falling down each time he was breathed upon, well then I'd say he was in the right team.

I'm not a Utd fan but it was sad to watch him week after week sitting on the pitch pulling up his socks whilst looking confused at the ref.

That said I will admit he was a great player to watch if he'd only get the hell up off the pitch like Torres and get the hell on with it. Somehow, I can't see Rooney or Torres falling down quite as much as him this year......Oh no, where will all the free kicks come from???:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

And as for learning his craft at Utd, if you mean falling down each time he was breathed upon, well then I'd say he was in the right team.
    :rolleyes: And why would this be?

That said I will admit he was a great player to watch if he'd only get the hell up off the pitch like Torres and get the hell on with it. Somehow, I can't see Rooney or Torres falling down quite as much as him this year......Oh no, where will all the free kicks come from???:eek:

Sure we can just play on and score instead, since we don't have him to score the frees.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Sure we can just play on and score instead, since we don't have him to score the frees.;)

Yeah but he scored the ones from open play too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement