Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo this season.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

eddiehead wrote: »
    Yeah but he scored the ones from open play too.

We'll just have to settle for the next best thing so:
    Michael-Owen-Liverpool-Manchester-United-Leag_1191281.jpg
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Torres although not "bred" by Liverpool seemed to do very well when he came across the water so can't really see Ronaldo failing 'cos the almighty "water carrier" that is Rooney is not holding him up.
    And as for learning his craft at Utd, if you mean falling down each time he was breathed upon, well then I'd say he was in the right team.

I'm not a Utd fan but it was sad to watch him week after week sitting on the pitch pulling up his socks whilst looking confused at the ref.

That said I will admit he was a great player to watch if he'd only get the hell up off the pitch like Torres and get the hell on with it. Somehow, I can't see Rooney or Torres falling down quite as much as him this year......Oh no, where will all the free kicks come from???:eek:

Well, i clearly did not mean that. And if you knew I didn't mean that (as your proper, sensible argument kicked in two paragraphs later), then why say it?

Aside from that, you make a good point, and your comparison to Torres is a valid one; now that Ronaldo is gone, I think nFernando is the best player in the Premiership, with quite a chasm behind him.

But, having said that, Torres isn't quite ready - in my book - to be breathed in the same sentence of Ronaldo. At a very tender age, Ronaldo has walked the talk, and then some. Torres, as of yet, has not. You can point to the European Championship. But deep down we all know (all the proper, non-troll, respectable football fans), that Villa was giving him his apprenticeship.

See it's complicated. There is no player ON THE PLANET (before Ronaldo left), that I would have wanted more than Torres. But it's the way that Ronaldo imprinted -- the AUHORITY, with which he staked his claim -- to being an all time great, that impressed me, and made him, far and a way, the greatest player the EPL has seen. He just reached out and took it. And that's where my highest regard for the guy lies.

We'll just have to settle for the next best thing so:
    Michael-Owen-Liverpool-Manchester-United-Leag_1191281.jpg
    ;)

Are you a United or a liverpool fan?

davyjose wrote: »
    Are you a United or a liverpool fan?

I thought it was obvious.:confused:
    Showing a photo of United's replacement for Ronaldo's goals and using we/our.:p

I'll make my sig more obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

But, having said that, Torres isn't quite ready - in my book - to be breathed in the same sentence of Ronaldo. At a very tender age, Ronaldo has walked the talk, and then some. Torres, as of yet, has not. You can point to the European Championship. But deep down we all know (all the proper, non-troll, respectable football fans), that Villa was giving him his apprenticeship.

yeah villa did a fine job in the final scoring the winning goal and all, oh wait :D torres while good isn't a chasm away from the likes of gerrard, rooney, fabregas etc

i don't agree ronaldo walked the walk, the two big games where he was expected to shine against players often called inferior by ronaldo fans ie kaka and messi, he failed to shine while they did big time, against poor teams he looked great i give him that, however the truly great players take the big games by the scruff of the neck and imprint their name on history, in the big games ronaldo went missing 9 times out of 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

There is no player ON THE PLANET (before Ronaldo left), that I would have wanted more than Torres. But it's the way that Ronaldo imprinted -- the AUHORITY, with which he staked his claim -- to being an all time great, that impressed me, and made him, far and a way, the greatest player the EPL has seen. He just reached out and took it. And that's where my highest regard for the guy lies.

Here's one that's better than both...

Oh, and that's leaving out the 38 goals he managed to notch up too... ;)

eZe^ wrote: »
    Here's one that's better than both...

Oh, and that's leaving out the 38 goals he managed to notch up too... ;)

To be honest, there's only maybe 8 or so of those "assists" that I'd actually count as assists. I don't think that the last pass to a player before they score should count as an assist every time. For example, if a keeper passes the ball 5 yards to a winger, who tracked back after the opposing full back, and that winger ran the full pitch and scored, that should not count as an assist for the keeper. In the video, there are many straightforward passes to a teammate, who then has to do all the work to score a goal, yet is included in a compilation of assists.:confused:
    Also, the shot he takes that finds a teammate who is practically level with him, shows how one footed he is.
    There is, though, a few defence splitting passes, to set up goals in the video, that were wondrous.
    Many of Ronaldo's assists will be pinpoint crosses, and running at and rounding a few defenders before giving a teammate a tap in, which are true assists in my(somewhat biased) view.

I thought it was obvious.:confused:
    Showing a photo of United's replacement for Ronaldo's goals and using we/our.:p

I'll make my sig more obvious.
    Still, you're showing some guy wearing a Liverpoo Jersey. Let's send Anfield a picture of Paul ince wearing a United Jersey and see what they think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

To be honest, there's only maybe 8 or so of those "assists" that I'd actually count as assists. I don't think that the last pass to a player before they score should count as an assist every time. For example, if a keeper passes the ball 5 yards to a winger, who tracked back after the opposing full back, and that winger ran the full pitch and scored, that should not count as an assist for the keeper. In the video, there are many straightforward passes to a teammate, who then has to do all the work to score a goal, yet is included in a compilation of assists.:confused:
    Also, the shot he takes that finds a teammate who is practically level with him, shows how one footed he is.
    There is, though, a few defence splitting passes, to set up goals in the video, that were wondrous.
    Many of Ronaldo's assists will be pinpoint crosses, and running at and rounding a few defenders before giving a teammate a tap in, which are true assists in my(somewhat biased) view.

Passing a ball to player who then scores is the freaking definition of an assist.
    *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

:eek:

Do you count tap-ins from rebounds off great work from another player as not really goals too?

Somewhat biased...

JPA wrote: »
    Passing a ball to player who then scores is the freaking definition of an assist.
    *sigh*

So you think a simple 2 yard pass to a player who goes on a run beating 6 defenders and scoring assists them as well as beating 6 defenders yourself and then giving a player a tap in?
    *sighs*

There should be a distinction.

Still, you're showing some guy wearing a LiverpooL;) Jersey. Let's send Anfield a picture of Paul ince wearing a United Jersey and see what they think of it.

Best photo of Michael Owen I could find quickly.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

So you think a simple 2 yard pass to a player who goes on a run beating 6 defenders and scoring assists them as well as beating 6 defenders yourself and then giving a player a tap in?
    *sighs*

This is such nonsense. Where does the distinction happen then? A five yard pass? Ten yards? The player can only beat two players between the pass and the goal for the assist to count?

It's retarded...

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is such nonsense. Where does the distinction happen then? A five yard pass? Ten yards? The player can only beat two players between the pass and the goal for the assist to count?

It's retarded...

I'm not so much suggesting there should be an official distinction for recording stats or anything. Just that when people are referring to how many assists such a player got, that many of them aren't really assisting the goal at all.

*sighs*

No, there shouldn't. They couldn't have gone on that amazing run without someone giving them the ball. Doing the simple thing is usually for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'm not so much suggesting there should be an official distinction for recording stats or anything. Just that when people are referring to how many assists such a player got, that many of them aren't really assisting the goal at all.

Oh lord, such drivel, sure, there are some assists that are simple passes where the receiver absolutely blasts the ball into the back of the net, but the point is, how many times in that video does Messi draw in at least 2 defenders and lay the ball off to his team mates for a tap in, and how many times does he beat a man or two on the outside and cross the ball into a CF. Without Messi drawing in those players, those goals don't happen, that assist is just as legitimate as a 30 yard defense splitting cross field ball.

Also, you couldn't be more blinded by calling Messi one footed. I cba to find some of the peaches he scored last year with his right foot, but his right foot is actually excellent, and is commonly used as a negative to his game by people who talk out their asses.

Sorry for derailing the thread with Messi talk, should have known better. Ronaldo this season can potentially be unbelievable, but it's more likely that he'll be similar to last season, which was only very very good. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well what if a guy is giving a five yard pass every game that leads to a goal?

Surely he has to get credit for more than just being able to pass the ball five yards all the time? He didn't just materialise in the spot at the precise instant with his leg swinging metronome style just properly for him to knock the ball towards a team mate like...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Well what if a guy is giving a five yard pass every game that leads to a goal?

Surely he has to get credit for more than just being able to pass the ball five yards all the time? He didn't just materialise in the spot at the precise instant with his leg swinging metronome style just properly for him to knock the ball towards a team mate like...

I understand where you're coming from, but in my own opinion, I don't think using stats for assists show the whole story. The fact a player passed to a teammate doesn't mean it helped them score, apart from giving them the possession to score the goal. Which you deem to be an assist. I don't, and I'm not going to argue with you over that, cos neither of us will change our opinions, and this isn't the right thread either.

Anyway.......

Ronaldo, while he might divide opinions, everyone has one on him, which is essentially fuelling the persona that the people who hate him perceive; that he seeks attention and media focus. I believe, no matter what he achieves now, some people will always find faults, and claim he's not a great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Hope the guy is a massive hit for them. Fantastic player with a down to earth attitude. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Hope the guy is a massive hit for them. Fantastic player with a down to earth attitude. :cool:

must agree with you.....Salt of the earth type.
    Just sooooooo sorry we didn't get him to the blue side of the city:rolleyes:

Sure he'll do well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I hope he proves himself to be worth every penny of the transfer and his wages. He gave a great 6 years service to United and won everything he could. He advanced as well as he could have and now has gone to play for his boyhood dream team. Now we all know he has a frustrating side but he is IMO the most entertaining player I have ever seen. I will always have great memories of him playing for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

killwill wrote: »
    I hope he proves himself to be worth every penny of the transfer and his wages. He gave a great 6 years service to United and won everything he could. He advanced as well as he could have and now has gone to play for his boyhood dream team. Now we all know he has a frustrating side but he is IMO the most entertaining player I have ever seen. I will always have great memories of him playing for United.

this.

although I hate Madrid so hope they don't do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I understand where you're coming from, but in my own opinion, I don't think using stats for assists show the whole story.
    I know exactly what you mean PM. The stats used in football just aren't explored that well alot of the time. There is definitely a difference of value between different types of assist imo.

I did plenty of work with stats in college. I wish i'd looked at football instead of song birds and vandalised urban trees. I'd be rolling in money by now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Someone who calls Messi one footed should be banned not only from posting about soccer but from ever watching it again.

There's one player and one player only in this generation of players who has any chance of being remembered as the greatest of all time, and while he'll play in El Classico, he wont be wearing white.

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Someone who calls Messi one footed should be banned not only from posting about soccer but from ever watching it again.

There's one player and one player only in this generation of players who has any chance of being remembered as the greatest of all time, and while he'll play in El Classico, he wont be wearing white.

Well i know now, that I shot myself in the shoe from the start, criticizing the untouchable Messi.:rolleyes:
    However, that remark about him being one footed was just a sarcastic response to his awful shot that ended up being counted as an assist.
    I consider being as strong with the weak foot as one of the most important traits an attacking player can have. Ronaldo has it, Messi has it, but not to the same degree. And neither will be as ambi-foot-rous as Ronaldinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

P.S. Comparisons to Zidane might pop up, but remember (and this is sort of my point), he never grew up with a world class side -- one that delivered Champions league finals, etc.

am I reading this wrong? Before going to Real, Zidane played for Juve - 3 CL finals in a row in the late 90s and argubly the best team in Europe at the time ...surely I must have misunderstood your post? :confused:ioo

As for Ronaldo, they guy is pure class, best of luck to him!

TripleAce wrote: »
    am I reading this wrong? Before going to Real, Zidane played for Juve - 3 CL finals in a row in the late 90s and argubly the best team in Europe at the time ...surely I must have misunderstood your post? :confused:ioo

As for Ronaldo, they guy is pure class, best of luck to him!

Ya you are reading it wrong! Zidane joined Juventus aged 24, he wasn't in a great side before that compared to CRonaldo, who is 24 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

JPA wrote: »
    Ya you are reading it wrong! Zidane joined Juventus aged 24, he wasn't in a great side before that compared to CRonaldo, who is 24 now.

Ok thanks ;) ....I thought OP meant before joining Real.... :p

Advertisement