Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Irish Bank Mortgage Rates

Options
  • 14-08-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anyone know NIB's current mortgage rates?
    They used to publish them on their website but no longer do.
    Are they the worst bank in Ireland for charging higher interest rates over ECB rate?
    I came off fixed rate last year and since then they have applied none of
    of the decreases in ECB rates.
    It seems like they want regular people (i.e. non-defaulters) to pay more for their mortgages to cover their bad lending practices - a bit unfair.

Anyway - I now can't find NIB listed in any of the comparison websites - they must be embarassed about their high rates.

If anyone knows where they may be posted online please let me know. (I know I can go to branch and get them - but they always seem cagey about what's on offer and what might change....). I want to look at fixing again - unfortuantely switching is not really an option in this climate.

I was fooled by thier low introductory rates - when they are up they seem to be sticking it to me.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

dub1me wrote: »
    They used to publish them on their website but no longer do.
    Still do. NIB website

And yes, they are ridiculously expensive. Like most foreign banks now, they are pricing themselves out of the market as they don't want any more business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

dub1me wrote: »
    Are they the worst bank in Ireland for charging higher interest rates over ECB rate?
    Don't know what their current rates are, but the deal I got from them 2-3 years ago was by far and away the best thing going (never to be seen again i would imagine) ...a tracker at ECB+0.5%

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Don't know what their current rates are, but the deal I got from them 2-3 years ago was by far and away the best thing going (never to be seen again i would imagine) ...a tracker at ECB+0.5%

Well now I'm just jealous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 napper

Can anyone tell me if NIB ever gave Tracker Mortgages? If they did then over what period and when did they stop issuing them?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

napper wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if NIB ever gave Tracker Mortgages? If they did then over what period and when did they stop issuing them?
    Cheers
    They definitely did do them at one stage. Someone above posted about having one. I also took one out myself back in early 2008.

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    They definitely did do them at one stage. Someone above posted about having one. I also took one out myself back in early 2008.

Thanks g0g, I'm wonder did they go them in 2006? If you took yours out in 2008 I'm sure they were on offer then too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

NIB/Danske was one of the first to offer Trackers. I had one for about four years with them and given I paid off my mortgage in 2007, they definitely did them in 2006

Thanks homer911,
    I applied for my mortgage with them in 2006.
    I asked for a tracker mortgage but was told they could only offer me a variable/fixed rate mortgage.
    I was curious when I spoke to someone recently who said they thought NIB/Danske were still offering them for some time after that.
    I only wish now that I had got one. I can't help but wonder why I was told no.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭roisinbeag

We got our mortgage from NIB about August 2006, they did have Tracker mortgages available but we went with a fixed rate. Have never stopped kicking myself since!

Thanks roisinbeag,
    I asked about it in 2006 when taking out mine but they said they don't offer them anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement