Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweaking & Modding Forum

Options
  • 14-08-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

I think it needs' to be tidied up and moved/merged with Building & Upgrading. I don't think there is enough traffic on Tweakin & Modding, at least not anymore, for it to be completely separate from a forum (B&U) which typically has the same subject matter and far more users.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

*bump*

Is this in the right forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You are in the correct forum, it probably should be merged. Maybe give the forum moderators a chance to reply, or send them a PM to alert them to this post.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Seeing as they both share a common ground and community, merging them would probably be for the best.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Were they ever the one forum at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Isn't tweaking/modding meant to be about interesting projects whereas building/upgrading is more about advice related to what is basically expensive lego?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive asked for this before in the Mod forum when i used to mode both of the mention forums. Nothing ever happened. I think it would be for the best of the forum as its really low traffic and has been for a few years now.

So is somebody gonna move it then....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Jonathan wrote: »
    Were they ever the one forum at any stage?
    Tweaking and Modding was created first and was pretty much used for both. Building and upgrading was created later as T&M was pretty busy and mostly filled with OC'ing threads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

So is somebody gonna move it then....

Without either one of the mods from either forum posting in the thread...I doubt it.

Ponster wrote: »
    Without either one of the mods from either forum posting in the thread...I doubt it.
    I've just PM'd them all.

It might be a good idea to do a re-shuffle when they are medged, remove and replace one or two existing ones. Not that any of them aren't doing a good job, not to my knowledge anyway, but dynamics of a forum change over time and change can be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i don't have a problem with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It was quite popular for a long time, mostly for building/OC'ing logs and advise being asked for same. Now those topics are pretty much a staple of Building and Upgrading. It has served its purpose very well in the past but I see no harm in merging it now that it's relatively quiet.

One thing though is that too many of such topics can look rather intimidating to new users who might be dissuaded from posting or asking advise...even though they share common ground now initially they were aimed at different user levels.

I've just PM'd them all.

It might be a good idea to do a re-shuffle when they are medged, remove and replace one or two existing ones. Not that any of them aren't doing a good job, not to my knowledge anyway, but dynamics of a forum change over time and change can be a good thing.

Is that some sly round about way of saying "Make me a mod"

Anti wrote: »
    Is that some sly round about way of saying "Make me a mod"
    No, more of a direct way of suggesting that they look at the B&U forum and look at how much Solitaire is contributing to user quiries AND the general momentum of the forum.

yup, he was one of the people i put forward to replace me. none were picked.

I agree Solitaire is an excellent poster and the most helpful in the entire forum. As for me, well, the past few months I've just been busy the entire time between crazy work and social matters. I don't get to post much on boards at all, just on B&U/Graphics the odd time. I do however read the forums, move threads when needed, and check email for reported posts. That's generally the criteria for any mod, of any forum - that they look after the forum and ensure it runs correctly and without incident or clutter. Not that it's not better to have a mod that's interested in the field, naturally it is, but implying a mod needs to be changed or reshuffled because of a lack of presence is not really fair grounds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I agree Solitaire is an excellent poster and the most helpful in the entire forum. As for me, well, the past few months I've just been busy the entire time between crazy work and social matters. I don't get to post much on boards at all, just on B&U/Graphics the odd time. I do however read the forums, move threads when needed, and check email for reported posts. That's generally the criteria for any mod, of any forum - that they look after the forum and ensure it runs correctly and without incident or clutter. Not that it's not better to have a mod that's interested in the field, naturally it is, but implying a mod needs to be changed or reshuffled because of a lack of presence is not really fair grounds.

I don't think anyone is imply that you aren't doing your job. I do think that whenever a forum undergoes a big change like this that it would be best to look at the mod presence on the forum and see if it needs changing (add more mods, remove older inactive mods, if the focus of the forum has shifted then maybe the existing mods might not be as interested to mod it etc.). For what it's worth, from what I've seen you're doing a good job modding the place.

Sorry, did I come across as a little defensive? :p

To be honest, I'll be asking shortly to be replaced by Solitaire anyway, if he'll accept the honors. I just don't get on enough and often not for stretches so I'm becoming increasingly unsuitable to even fulfill the basic overseeing task of being a mod.

Firefox is the most challenging application that my pimped out rig has faced in over two months...

Firefox is the most challenging application that my pimped out rig has faced in over two months...

I know the feeling. I've got a high end gaming pc upstairs yet I spend most of my time on my netbook pissing about online.

Wahey :)

• Advertisement

has anything changed, I donrt think it has but then agains I'm pretty hammered.

*twiddles thumbs*

tumbleweed_sized.jpg

I requested to be replaced by Solitaire a good while back, still waiting on that shift. As for the merging of the forums, that requires an admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Under discussion in Admin forum - we'll be back with you soon.

Admins, here's a link.

Trojan wrote: »
    Under discussion in Admin forum - we'll be back with you soon.

Admins, here's a link.
    I can't see it. Make me Admin.

Why not make T&W a subforum of B&U ? Both are on similar subjects, but not quite the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Why not make T&W a subforum of B&U ? Both are on similar subjects, but not quite the same.

Comments on that from interested parties, please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm in favour.

• Advertisement

Jonathan wrote: »
    I'm in favour.
    I'm against. Aside from the topics being much of a muchness, as has been stated here already, there are two other reasons:

1) As it stands, a proportion of the material posted in T&W would be better suited in B&U.

2) Of the rest of the material posed in T&W, new posts and regular disscussion on the topic are something of a rarity!

I don't think there will be demand for even a sub-forum seeing as how there is little discussion on tweaking and other mods on a regular basis.

Advertisement