Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweaking & Modding Forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm against. Aside from the topics being much of a muchness, as has been stated here already, there are two other reasons:

1) As it stands, a proportion of the material posted in T&W would be better suited in B&U.

2) Of the rest of the material posed in T&W, new posts and regular disscussion on the topic are something of a rarity!

I don't think there will be demand for even a sub-forum seeing as how there is little discussion on tweaking and other mods on a regular basis.
    It keeps the existing communities intact tho.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jonathan wrote: »
    It keeps the existing communities intact tho.

But the communities are more or less the same. Most people who use one use the other. I think they should both be merged as they share similar topics. A new forum name would be needed something like Building and modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

But the communities are more or less the same. Most people who use one use the other. I think they should both be merged as they share similar topics. A new forum name would be needed something like Building and modding.

I'm going to be really pedantic but...... Modding is Upgrading!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm going to be really pedantic but...... Modding is Upgrading!
    <pedant>

Upgrading implies replacing parts with newer/better parts. Modding is changing existing parts. Lapping would be considered modding, but isn't really upgrading anything.

</pedant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Blowfish wrote: »
    <pedant>

Upgrading implies replacing parts with newer/better parts. Modding is changing existing parts. Lapping would be considered modding, but isn't really upgrading anything.

</pedant>

Well, technically it's bettering your machine, upgrading its performance; so...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Well, technically it's bettering your machine, upgrading its performance; so...:D
    +1.

My point exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Fine then, how about something like this case mod. Doesn't really improve the performance ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Blowfish wrote: »
    Fine then, how about something like this case mod. Doesn't really improve the performance ;)

it's an upgrade in terms of looks though.

anyway,

I'm not sure what merging the two forums will achieve. There's a huge amount of overlap in almost all of the Comp & Tech sub category, I think the whole sub category needs a wee bit of a rethink.

for example, the "what graphics card to buy" question often becomes a major component of upgrading threads, yet there's an entire forum dedicated to graphics? And a lot of the Tweaking and Modding are generic "where can i get XYZ" type threads equally suited to B&U. And across all forums is a healthy set of generic 'help with problem' threads...

so how bout a rethink of the category?

I see a few dominant themes myself that aren't really catered for explicitly and overlap a lot;
    • Enthusiasts discussions
    • Problem diagnosis
    • Hardware discussion

so my suggestion would be to introduce a generic computer help forum for diagnosing and solving problems (I've seen it work well on other forums I've been involved in), getting rid of tweaking and modding and replace it with two subforums in B&U, an Enthusiasts corner (for overclocking and modding) and a Hardware discussion forum (from everything to reviews, new product discussion and the more specific, what connectors/sockets/part to use type).

Graphics is the one I'm stumped about though more so than the others. I think it's a good idea to keep hardware discussions out of it, as that causes too much overlap, but then the rest is simply help topics and the software Q? I really can't tell what's the primary purpose of that forum is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

As en ex-mod to both the mentioned forums i can see the difference, B&U is more where people go for help on :

1: Is this rig/ram/gpu/cpu good.
    2: Should i buy this or..
    3 Where can i buy this or that.
    4: I have X ammount to spend, what should i buy.
    5: Lots of random crap that could be in other forums.

T&W on the other hand is usually used for:

1: I have X cpu cooler, what do you guys have experience with being the best fan running this type of setup, or what have you heard?
    2: I have X cpu, i have a QPI set at X etc etc im running into X problem etc etc.
    3: Hey guys, i have a gtx 270, ive heard its possible to flash the 275 bios onto this, know anything?
    4: Im looking to build a compltely custom rig, what materials and the likes should be used, where can i get such and such a thing custom made (papu for example, and many others. although alot of these build logs have been lost some how)

As you can see, the problems are simiar(ish) but not quite the same. While T&W is a much quieter forum now (mainly due to 90% of the contributers there now being in contact on msn and the likes) the inherant likeness' of the forums are a world apart. Merging the two, i feel whold be a mistake.

Adding B&U as the parent, and T&W being the child forum would be a much better idea, no need to change mods, just merge them.

A Rename, i think thats a great idea, ive even asked for T&W to be changed to "overclocking" before, but it was decided not to go ahead with this. This bring on the points LeninB made above me, some great ideas there, but not quite in the right direction.

As AC mentioned above, renaming it to Building & modding, in theory yes, but the two topics are too different to fit into the same forum. The topics like "im looking for advice on X cpu with overclocking" etc etc would never ben seen with the ammount of "Need gpu upgrade" "what cpu to get" and all that.

IMHO it should be as this:

-Building & upgrading
    -- Tweaking & Modding

You could even throw in a 3rd forum specificially designed for benchmarking, as a subforum again to T&W

Personally, i think if you stick the typical B&U user and merge them with the T&W forum you will get a lot of:

"Guys im stuck on a QPI of 301, cpu is running cool but am finding random crashes" you will get answers like "Hav u updatd wndowz / U sure yew got dat new .net 2.5 upgrade, my couzin sayz its the ****" and all that. The forms need to be kept seperate in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just a heads-up: I'm still reading this thread. Not sure we've come to any definite conclusion here yet though, so the jury is still out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

With Intel cpu's overclocking so much there'll always be a need for a tweaking and modding forum. If the mods would move the tweaking, modding and overclocking threads that are posted in the wrong forums there would be loads of posts, but that doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    With Intel cpu's overclocking so much there'll always be a need for a tweaking and modding forum. If the mods would move the tweaking, modding and overclocking threads that are posted in the wrong forums there would be loads of posts, but that doesn't happen.

QFMFT

Advertisement