Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Laptop For Student Plz

Options
  • 14-08-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm (hopefully) goin to be starting in Trinity next September. I want to buy a laptop and basically I need you to recommend one to me!

Budget: 600-700

Intended use: College work. I intend to study Russian which uses a dif. alphabet therefoore I need a Laptop in which the cryllic alphabet can be used or downloaded
    Internet
    e-mail.
    Storing Music and possibly Films (altho music mainly).
    I would also like a laptop that has wireless internest built in (if this does exist)
    Gaming is NOT important.

Mobility: I would like a big enuf screen about 16" so mobility isnt THAT important.

Warranty: Not that important jus a standard warranty.

Hope you are able to recommend something:o

Cheers DanDan6592

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I could kick a football into any retail park in the country and hit a laptop with that spec. :D

All laptops have wireless (Wifi) internet built in, but you need an access point (McDonald's?) or your own broadband account to use it.
    You could also get mobile internet access. Do you want to pay extra for your own account with a mobile phone provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Sorry to hijack your thread but I was about to post a similar question! I'm very clueless about laptops, I've only ever had PC's so I'm quite overwhelmed by the choice!
    Are Dell laptops good? My current PC is a Dell and I've had no major problems but maybe laptops are another story?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

If you're only going to be doing word processing, internet etc, nearly any laptop will do. Theres no real need to spend €600-700 either.

All you are looking for should be at least 2gb of RAM. Fairly standard.

A harddrive of around 120GB upwards.

Processor... doesnt really matter as you will rarely push it using MS Word, Powerpoint, Windows Media Player.

Screen size is a personal taste.

Elara is cheap, but there is loads of sites.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement