Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Info Please !!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

You're right Gingerdave, can't disagree with any part of your post. I was simply stating facts, your points are all valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

I think the ordnance survey have already had their (conclusive) say about where places are, and in what townlands they fall. Debating whether charlesland is greystones or eden gate is delgany is moot. There is no debate. They simply 'are'.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

I personally think there is better value and nicer houses in the Holywell estate in Kilcoole. 3 bed semis of 90 sq mt are 299k. They are much better built houses than Charlesland (which were thrown up in the boom, many of which blew down in a storm before occupancy!!) and don't have the concrete mass jungle that Charlesland has. You will also sell it much easier than a house in Charlesland. 300k is expensive for what Charlesland is, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Holywell is very nice, or for a nice 2 bed....
    http://www.sellityourself.ie/cgi-bin/sellityourself/id/7087/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Coolhand

Not to stir things up at all but Kilcoole has always been looked on as not as good as greystones. I think people like to bash Charlesland. Its really a great place to live. I used to work as a kid around estates in Kilcoole and spent most of the time dodging fights around the place. It was pretty ruff back then. I wont even go into what most Greystones people think of the area. It could be better now of course. Anyway I would recommend Charlesland to anyone. The house are really nice and everyone in the estate that I have come across is very nice and respectable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

While Greystones town centre is really nice, Charlesland is not comparable. Holywell or Woodstock would be a far superior build quality and buy than Charlesland. Would you like to live in estate with 100 houses or well over 1000?? What will Charlesland look like when the golf course eventually goes? Charlesland is as near to Kilcoole as Greystones IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Box09 wrote: »
    What will Charlesland look like when the golf course eventually goes?

that's not likely to happen anytime soon - it was very much a Celtic Tiger type proposal that they had planned for the golf course.

EDIT - please keep it polite people - if this develops into a Kilcoole vs Charlesland flame war, I'll lock the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Box09 wrote: »
    While Greystones town centre is really nice, Charlesland is not comparable.

Not comparable in the slightest, Charlesland is an estate not a town in itself. Although it does have a lot of facilities most small towns in Ireland would be jelous of.

Holywell or Woodstock would be a far superior build quality and buy than Charlesland.

Dont know about Holywell but im really not sure that is true.

Charlesland is as near to Kilcoole as Greystones IMO.
    That's just not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 buzzbuzzbuzz

Well since my earlier post was deleted...:rolleyes:...i better rephrase it.
    It just makes me angry to hear all this kilcoole bashing from people who clearly don't know anything about the place. When it gets turned back to those who live in charlesland .... they dont like to hear it!. Each to their own I say. I just think that I personally would prefer to live in an estate with a few houses, like the one i live in now compared to 1000's of houses in the middle of nowhere. Its a personal choice, so good luck to OP in whatever decision you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budro

I am a tenant not a homeowner but have been living in Redford Park and have been looking for a new place. We are a couple with a middle aged son going to school here and have looked at over 50 properties all around Greystones, Kilcoole and Delgany and even a few in Newtown MT. Kennedy. We have just settled on a place in Charlesland for several reasons but would not dream of saying anything derogatory about Kilcoole or Delgany because they are lovely spots with lots of high quality housing. We only have one car which makes public transport an issue and Charlesland wins for us on that.
    When I first thought of moving here I took one look at Charlesland and went oh my god, what a boom years nightmare and looked elsewhere. I have since spent more time in Charlesland and realized that aside from the central oval there is loads of green space for kids to play on, the build quality varies hugely but can be better than a lot of things in both Redford Park and Kilcoole. The time for any snobbery is over and we all make the choices which will suit our individual circumstances, although we like Kilcoole and Delgany Charlesland is a better fit for us because of transport, amenities, and although its a large estate there does seem to be a very good community there. Its also easier to get to the Dart than from Redford Park.
    The bottom line is that every post I've seen agrees on one thing, we all love living in this area of North Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Coolhand wrote: »
    I used to work as a kid around estates in Kilcoole and spent most of the time dodging fights around the place. It was pretty ruff back then.

I lived in Kilcoole for 25 years, and I don't recognise what you've just described. Perhaps it's deteriorated massively and turned into Beirut in the two or three years I've been away from the place, but I doubt it. Whichever estates you worked in at the time may well have been pretty ruff (sic), but there have always been one or two estates in Greystones (and almost every other small town/village in Ireland) too, from which an unfamiliar visitor could draw the very same conclusion, and make an entirely unfair, ignorant and ill-informed generalisation about the entire place.
    Coolhand wrote:
    I wont even go into what most Greystones people think of the area.

Let me guess... they think it's rural, backward, "a bit working class" and that the natives don't like 'blow-ins'. Have I left anything out (apart from the 'yawn' emoticon)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement