Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better to jump or be Pushed?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

Started work in my current job 13 months ago. Have been working full time since I left college in 2001. Have no kids, no mortgage, no personal loans and a manageable credit card bill.

I am working as a sales rep and as everyone knows, this year has been a train crash. The boss has lately become a proper tyrant, doesnt want to hear advise, etc, etc.

His latest thing now is a €12k/28% pay cut or else be made redundant, although he says it will "be a sacking for not reaching agreed targets".

He also floated the idea of a 3 day week where I work the other 2.5 days "from home".:mad:

My questions are...

If I walk, I wouldn't get any dole for weeks; is that right?

He says that a 'decision' will be made on Tuesday, would I be better off handing in my notice rather than having a "Sacking" hanging over my career?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

You get the dole handier if you were 'let go' but if you leave your job, you could be refused the dole on this basis, so hope he fires you or lets you go, thats they way I would be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

8 weeks with out dole if you're the one walking out so I'd walk to your boss and tell him that you do not accept the new terms.

Since this is a new contract (lower salary) he has only two options; fire you (dole from day one) or keep you at the same salar. Either way you get a better option then if you walk out except possibly reference but I'd say he'd be upset if you left as well so meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

a sacking for not reaching agreed targets

Check your contract, and relevant employment law.
    I'd be very surprised if this were allowed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Gurgle wrote: »
    Check your contract, and relevant employment law.
    I'd be very surprised if this were allowed.
    Poor performance has always been a sackable offence but you have to take it through the disciplinary cycle to make it happen (i.e. warnings, appropiate time, targets, training and what not)..

Advertisement