Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you dress?

• 14-08-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Okay,
    Back in Feburary I was at Lamb of God in the Academy, I'm standing there in the que and a girl behind me starts tapping my shoulder and asks me, "What are you doing here?" Puzzled, I say, 'Going to see Lamb of God???!!!!???'
    She then replied, "but you're dressed like that!"
    I was wearing a pair of jeans, a pink top and a cream beanie, amoungst a hoodie cause it was freezing!

Just because I listen to metal [alongside other music] am I supposed to wear black? Not saying that I didn't think I was sh*t hot at was fourteen when I had black baggies and band hoodies, but nowadays I couldn't be bothered and think that people need colour in their lives.
    I might point out that she was wearing a tiny black shirt, a black top that had been ripped up, on purpose and put back together with saftey pins!

What's everyone else's opinion on this?
    It infuriated me, tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I dress however i feel like, most of my clothes are black but thats just black clothes suit me, not because its the metal thing to do! Il wear anything that i like though, screw closed minded elitists, people like that are just as bad as the knackers calling anyone who has a metal hoodie a "got Frake"

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

Well at the end of the day image is **** all important once you enjoy the music. I myself would be dress in jeans and a tshirt of some sort. try to wear a shirt of the band i'm going to see. my previous hairstyle may of gotten me grief being spiked with red highlights but **** it. at the end of the day it shouldnt matter what you wear as long as you into the music. hell i like some cradle of filth but you wont see me putting on corpse paint if i ever decide to go see them live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

I do have a lot of black clothes also, but not because they're "metal" or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

How old was this girl? That could be a factor. I'd say younger metal fans will care more about how people are dressed than mature fans, I've gone to gigs before wearing a suit and I don't think anyone lifted an eyebrow. Music is about the music, so just don't let it bother you.

How old was this girl? That could be a factor. I'd say younger metal fans will care more about how people are dressed than mature fans, I've gone to gigs before wearing a suit and I don't think anyone lifted an eyebrow. Music is about the music, so just don't let it bother you.

Ha she wasn't old enough to get in! :rolleyes:
    I agree, I used to care, cause i was soooo cool, ya know yourself.
    I also agree that it's also about the music, but that comment bugged me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

A suit you say? Howd you manage that, not that theres anything wrong with it im just genuinely curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Know the exact feeling people judging you by the clothes you wear! Mean come on there clothes ffs and thats all, it ain't a symbol of who you are, they are their to keep you warm or whatever. If i put on a A&F t shirt does that mean i am forbidden to listen to metal? Does my ipod suddenly freeze when i go to play some In Flames? Hell no, so why should people act like that in order to listen to a certain genre of music you have to dress a certain way! These people are idiots and should clearly be avoided.

Ah you do get the odd person who look down on you cos you dont look right just because you dont dress as they feel you should. Music is something that brings people together. when you are at a concert be it 20 ppl or 20,000 every single person has one thing in common and that is the love of the music you are there to witness. thats what is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

i wear whatever i feel comfortable in. i remember seen metallica before and i had an old metallica top my mate got printed for one of my birthdays so was going back to my mates from the bar at the gig and this guy asks me what the top was cause he never seen it before it a metallica top and he starts mouthing off bout there no meaning to it or it not an album top etc etc and i not a real rocker so i am like yea grand see you after. what a muppet he was, hasnt put me off wearing it the top though lol

Stev_o wrote: »
    Know the exact feeling people judging you by the clothes you wear! Mean come on there clothes ffs and thats all, it ain't a symbol of who you are, they are their to keep you warm or whatever. If i put on a A&F t shirt does that mean i am forbidden to listen to metal? Does my ipod suddenly freeze when i go to play some In Flames? Hell no, so why should people act like that in order to listen to a certain genre of music you have to dress a certain way! These people are idiots and should clearly be avoided.

ha that made me laugh![:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mainly black. Today, I have a green top, as I like it. If I'm going to a metal gig, I wear either black, or purple velevt, faux zebra fur, and an afro :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

If you don't wear all black and have really long hair with piercings and/or tattoos you're not metal.

Awh crap! I thought I was so metal!
    [I'll throw in another misconception whilst I'm at it!] I may go home at cut myself now!

[yes, primarily the emo cliche, but I've gotten that one throughout the years]

you know at big gigs where everyone is wearing black and you are with mates and you lose them. best option is to stick out so i think i'll chance the many beatings and wear something pink so i can be easily spotted!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

In fairness when I go to metal gigs I know for a fact I look like the guy who got given a free ticket and went along out of interest ;)

I dont look like your stereo typical metal head at all.

I enjoy the music and thats all that matters.

lol yea sure there was a guy with mates of my cousin who i went to metallica with and he was dressed like a chav in trackies!lol lookd like he was a day early for fatboy slim! but at end of the day he enjoyed the music and thats why he was there and how he was dressed made **** all difference

Whiplash wrote: »
    lol yea sure there was a guy with mates of my cousin who i went to metallica with and he was dressed like a chav in trackies!lol lookd like he was a day early for fatboy slim! but at end of the day he enjoyed the music and thats why he was there and how he was dressed made **** all difference

haha all beige trackie? Think I saw him giving it socks during Whiskey, infact.

eh might have been lol

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I tend to vary between wearing metal and football tshirts :D

I'm pretty much a walking advertisment.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I went to Slayer wearing a Leeroy Jenkins t-shirt :)

Mind you, it was black. But still...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

These days it tends to be jeans(blue) and a band t-shirt(black). I've had random people tell me i look like i'm a heavy metal biker!!!!!! Usually thats down to the facial hair!

It's funny but back in the early 90's i'd turn up for a gig in the standard uniform of tight black jeans,black runner boots,black band t-shirt and black biker jacket. I'd laugh at the 'oldies' in their old faded band tour t-shirts and faded leather jackets. Lol. Now i'm the one turning up in old tour t-shirts and black leather jacket while the kids(:p) wear jeans half way down their arse and converse or vans runners!! And i'm only 35!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I can't wear band tee-shirts anymore. They've shrunk or I've grown. My mom once bought me a cradle of filth tee-shirt. The one with the naked chick. I always laugh at the amount of people who have those huuuuuge key chains taken off them at the door of gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lord lucan wrote: »
    These days it tends to be jeans(blue) and a band t-shirt(black). I've had random people tell me i look like i'm a heavy metal biker!!!!!! Usually thats down to the facial hair!
    Yeah, I get that a lot when wearing the denim jacket, mainly due to the shaved head and facial hair.

If I have them, I wear combats. Many many pockets for carrying stuff (such as the glasses case, wallet, etc). No-one comments on my dress style, as I is taller than all. And those who I'm not bigger than are mature enough to not give a sh|t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Cannot stand wearing black anymore as it was all I wore as a kid to show that I was a rocker...most of the people I know grew out of wearing nothing but black too, you get bored with it and I really dont feel the need to advertise my taste in music.

Now I rock my pair of cons, bootcut jeans and usually a shirt with a tshirt (rarely a band tee) underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I love metal along with a lot of other genres of music but I usually dress in a pair of skinny jeans,t-shirt and a hoody or maybe a shirt. The skinny jeans are usually what people use to stereotype me though which is ridiculous. I'd gladly show up to a metal concert in them though,or any other concert for that matter. Wear what you like and don't let immature people like that bother you. If it's more about the style than the music to someone then that's kind of sad. Should have told her where to go. :cool:

Well she didn't get in, so she got her comeuppance [sp?] alongside the flu or something for pretty much being naked in Feburary! [:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

95% of the time I just wear boots, black/blue jeans, a band shirt and one of those big green German jackets, although I have one in blue with the Dutch flag on it which has much deeper pockets and a zip instead of buttons. :D

Throw that in with the long, 'freakishly straight' hair and I probably look like a typical metalhead. It's just how I am though. I started growing my hair back when I was around 13/14 though (18 now) and I didn't even like any metal at the time. Majority of my shirts are band shirts too so I just take the first thing I can out of the wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Combats/jeans with black boots and band t-shirts ! I don't think I have a t-shirt or long sleeved top that isn't a band one. I'd look pretty normal at a metal gig I suppose, it's when I head out to "regular" bars/pubs is when I stand out. Blue/black jeans, heavy boots and a Morbid Angel t-shirt look very normal alright !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jeans+T-shirt(More often than not a band one, but I'm branching out a little)+Hoody+Vans of some description=Typical clothing of Fad.

No jocks 'n socks, obviously.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I wear what I want, I certainly dont look like a metal fan at all and people are very surprised when it turns out that I am. I really dont want people to be able to tell what kind of music I am into just by looking at me. Nothing wrong with it, its just not for me. If someone had a go at what I was wearing at a gig, I would laugh hysterically and ask if their mom was with them.

Advertisement