Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you dress?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭- bo -

Yeah I'm one of the ones you cant always tell the type of music I listen to, I mean sometimes I'll head out in a festival t-shirt (Download, Rock am Ring etc) or a Machine Head/Stone Sour/RATM/whatever t-shirt or hoodie and it'd be obvious, but I'll go around in football shirts with tracksuit bottoms with runners/jeans withconverse/vans, and mix them all about too.. mainly wear tracksuit bottoms/runners and hoodies though, just more comfortable.

Don't have long hair, tattoos or piercings either, so I don't exactly go for your typical rocker look..

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

Whatever catches my eye really. Music is categorized too much as it is, I don't like doing the same with my clothing.

What really gets to me is the looks I get when wearing my New Rocks.

It's not a statement of the music I listen to, I'm not trying to be unique and I'm not out to shock your gran... I just wanted to be a little taller. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

When I was about 19 I had a few revelations.
    1) wearing the most enourmously wide jeans I could get was more inconvenience than it was worth, dragging half of the Dublin rain water around with sweeping up the city with your jeans as you went.

2) I had too many freckles for that lip piercing to suit me (took it out).

And 3) I had started to feel embarassed waering band t-shirts. All of a sudden I realised that I felt like I was advertising what music I liked on my t-shirt for others to know about when what did it matter what the hell they knew!

Heading into my 20s the jeans gradually and gradually got less baggy- til now I happily wear jane norman and topshop boot cut jeans. But I never wore another band t-shirt! They look great on others but I still feel like a walking advertisement when I wear them. I was SOOO metal in my teens but now to figure out from my appearance I was metal you would have to guess it from a bit of eyeliner and lack of pink clothing! :D

Went to Fibbers recently and had trouble finding any remaining 'Fibbersy' clothes in my wardrobe. I guess I also got lazy as I got older- maintaining an image just wasn't me- I'm comfy jeans and gray t-shirt all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Always wear jeans, or combats. Any shorts I have, you can put a belt on it. Why? Cos I always carry stuff in them. Anytime I wear tracksuit bottoms, it's being pulled down by the weight of stuff I have.

Likewise with any coats I have: demin jacket, trenchcoat, leather jacket, etc, all have lots of pockets.

As for the blackness, I just like the colour. Before "getting into" metal, I'd be wearing combats and dark coloured t-shirts. Meh.

I've gotten to the realisation that I dislike wearing bright coloured clothes. Saying that, I also like the cold, the cloudless nights when there's a full moon, and general eerie things, so me, it suits me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

yupyup7up wrote: »
    haha! these muppets that care about your fashion sense make me laugh... :rolleyes:

I wear nike/adidas tracksuits most of the time or a munster or arsenal jersey and I listen to all music, Trance, Drum n BAss, Rap, Metal, Rock and so on but SLAYER!!! are my favourite band. I also love cradle of filth(older stuff anyway), metallica, slipknot, death, SOAD, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax etc.etc... Id f*cking punch someone if they said anything about me listening to slayer!!!!!:mad:

F8ck them, wear what you want! most people that listen to LoG are only newbie muppets anyway!!

you sir i respect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Anna Molly wrote: »
    Okay,
    Back in Feburary I was at Lamb of God in the Academy, I'm standing there in the que and a girl behind me starts tapping my shoulder and asks me, "What are you doing here?" Puzzled, I say, 'Going to see Lamb of God???!!!!???'
    She then replied, "but you're dressed like that!"
    I was wearing a pair of jeans, a pink top and a cream beanie, amoungst a hoodie cause it was freezing!

Just because I listen to metal [alongside other music] am I supposed to wear black? Not saying that I didn't think I was sh*t hot at was fourteen when I had black baggies and band hoodies, but nowadays I couldn't be bothered and think that people need colour in their lives.
    I might point out that she was wearing a tiny black shirt, a black top that had been ripped up, on purpose and put back together with saftey pins!

What's everyone else's opinion on this?
    It infuriated me, tbh.

Snap! Some yoke in Fibber Magee's actually asked me ''What are you doing here, do you even like metal?" because I made the terrible faux-pas of wearing a white dress there.:rolleyes:

I'm fed up to the back teeth of stupid girls giving me weird looks at gigs or in Fibbers because I'm not dressed in band tees or a gothic dress. I dress how I want, not because of the music I listen to. The irony is these are the same people who are meant to be ''non-conformists'' yet they want everyone who listens to a certain type of music to dress in a fcuking uniform!:mad:

I mean, I'd be the same as the OP, I used to love all the rocker gear back when I was a young teenager, but I guess I ,well, 'grew out'of that look. That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that type of look if that's what you're into. Just don't push it on eveybody else or judge somebody else as not being 'metal enough' based on how they look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I know how you feel. I used to dress in a lot black clothes between 1999 and 2003, but I got sick of it after a while. Now I just dress in loose dark blue jeans, a long sleeve diesel top and black and white adidas runners. If you seen me you would'nt think that I love bands like Emperor, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, Darkthrone, Tiamat, Amorphis, Fields of The Nephilim, Paradise Lost, Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Moonspell and Immortal.:D Obvisouly I don't look anything like metal head or a black metaler for that matter, but at the end of the day I don't really care what people think of how I dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Yup, too many people get caught up in it. The only reason I check out how people dress is to see if they have any new t-shirts I want to buy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Metal In Ireland has become all about image, which is a real shame, because the whole idea of extreme/underground music is that are no rules or barriers!!! There are people from all walks of life and dress whatever way they want who like Hellhammer, Venom,slayer,Dimmu Borgir etc, who actually enjoy the music alot more than all the F**kin posers that keep popping up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

best memory ever: rocking out at bring me the horizon in a munster jersey. good times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

manowar.jpg

If you don't dress like this, you're not metal and you should go and listen to your hip hop and rap and emo and Avenged Seven Times CDs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Out of all the people I know that listen to rock/metal, I find those that don't feel the need to wear all black and have long hair and tattoos that are far more passionate and knowledgeable about it. Just my observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

on the other hand, what about stylers who dress all "rocker" or like "metallers" as a fashion statement, cos it's cool and edgy. buying motorhead tshirts in topshop. disaster!!!

seachto7 wrote: »
    on the other hand, what about stylers who dress all "rocker" or like "metallers" as a fashion statement, cos it's cool and edgy. buying motorhead tshirts in topshop. disaster!!!

People like that just end up looking like idiots, you won't be taken seriously by anyone - from any 'clique'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

seachto7 wrote: »

I hate that poser rock crap. Paying 40 euro for a faded Ramones or Rolling Stones tee is ridiculous and i am willing to bet that half the people that buy them don't listen to their music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

Jesus some comments on her are a joke just because you don't year black you cant be metal well excuse my french but thats a load of bollocks! I went to metallica in marlay park wearing tracksuit bottoms a hoodie and lacoste runners sure i got one or two odd looks during the day but the true metal people and the genuine people who like music didn't give a rats ass what i was wearing

most people that listen to LoG are only newbie muppets anyway!!

Lamb of God have some serious riffs, there's plenty of other bands with far less talent and that are far more trendy than them that you could have said that about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Heavy metal is SUPPOSED to be all about the music, and it should not matter what kind of clothes you wear... but unfortunately for some people, if you don't dress a certain way you have no right to listen to metal: BOLLOCKS!

Dress however you like. I might have raised one or two eyebrows by wearing football and rugby jerseys to metal gigs, but so what? At a concert, I believe comfort should be above all else, and jerseys are comfortable things to wear. Fair enough, Leinster Rugby jerseys are anathema to a lot of people... I'll admit. Chelsea jerseys even worse at times. Ha.

I never dress ''extreme'' going to gigs, cos I don't feel the need to do so. I love my metal, I love it a lot. I just don't dress into it sometimes. Dress however the hell you like... In the words of the great Dee Snider, ''Never Let The Bastards Wear You Down''!!!! Rock on...

Is it just me or do most discussions here end up being about people who diss others for not looking 'metal' enough? Is it really that bad? I mean, who are all these supposed people who tell you you don't look metal or are a poser? Could it just be perhaps one's imagination? Perhaps someone looking at you is just..well...looking at you. I find that on the days when I'm at my least self-concious, people magically don't seem to look at me as much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Nowdays i just wear a band t-shirt or regular t-shirt depending on what i feel ike wearing, jeans (not baggy jeans, they look worse as you get older), my lumberjack shirt (a bit of a fav of mine at the moment) and a pair of cons. I tend to look more grunge or indie these days than mosher but i've never really got any hassle for it, i've kinda grown out of metal in the past couple of years. I still have my shoulder-length hair though :D

Nowdays i just wear a band t-shirt or regular t-shirt depending on what i feel ike wearing, jeans (not baggy jeans, they look worse as you get older), my lumberjack shirt (a bit of a fav of mine at the moment) and a pair of cons. I tend to look more grunge or indie these days than mosher but i've never really got any hassle for it, i've kinda grown out of metal in the past couple of years. I still have my shoulder-length hair though :D

I like those. Where do you get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

I wear whatever I want, I dont wear bandnames or slogans on my cloths because I'm not a billboard. I get funny looks when I go to pubs like fibber mcgees in Jeans and a hoodie, which is just sad. There are two types of metal heads, people who love the music and people who love to pose. I am the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

most people that listen to LoG are only newbie muppets anyway!!

Whereas only the truest of the true listen to System Of A Down and Slipknot. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

Den_M wrote: »
    Lamb of God have some serious riffs, there's plenty of other bands with far less talent and that are far more trendy than them that you could have said that about.

Damn straight, I'm listening to metal since the 80's, and Lamb of God are awesome compared to the nu-metal bands.They are a breath of fresh air compared to the tripe thats out there.

Strapping young lad however, rule all!

haha! these muppets that care about your fashion sense make me laugh... :rolleyes:

I wear nike/adidas tracksuits most of the time or a munster or arsenal jersey and I listen to all music, Trance, Drum n BAss, Rap, Metal, Rock and so on but SLAYER!!! are my favourite band. I also love cradle of filth(older stuff anyway), metallica, slipknot, death, SOAD, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax etc.etc... Id f*cking punch someone if they said anything about me listening to slayer!!!!!:mad:

F8ck them, wear what you want! most people that listen to LoG are only newbie muppets anyway!!

Dead on.:)I don't bother wearing any black clothes at all any more, and I got sick of wearing them in 2003, and I have'nt worn any since. I just wear black and white adidas runners, loose fitting dark jeans, and usually a dieseil longsleeve or a Tommy Hilfiger shirt. Know one would suspect that my favourite bands are Emperor, Agalloch, Anathema, Dimmu Borgir (old stuff), Paradise Lost, Amorphis, Fields of The Nephilim, Sisters of Mercy, Immortal/I, Bathory, Type O Negative, Hypocrisy and Old Man's Child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭_Arctic_

I wear Jeans and navy or black hoodies most of the time. I just like dark clothes, I'm not trying to look "metal" or anything, but colourful clothes just look stupid on me I think. And I wear beat up old white runners or skate shoes. I hate the look of brand new shoes! And my old shoes are nicely worn in, so they're really comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

madheaded wrote: »
    Jesus some comments on her are a joke just because you don't year black you cant be metal well excuse my french but thats a load of bollocks! I went to metallica in marlay park wearing tracksuit bottoms a hoodie and lacoste runners sure i got one or two odd looks during the day but the true metal people and the genuine people who like music didn't give a rats ass what i was wearing

so that was you. i felt like going home and changing. i was giving you dirty looks because i hate clothes clashes like this:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

A Paradise Lost t-shirt from Sunstroke 95.
    All day,every day!

Nah,people at work were shocked when I told them that I was going to AC/DC & Metallica.
    I told exactly what I thought of Electric Picnic too....

"You don't look like a cat-sacrificer!!!"
    Classic from one of the girls in the office.
    Our office not David Brents.

• Advertisement

gerocks wrote: »
    A Paradise Lost t-shirt from Sunstroke 95.
    All day,every day!

Nah,people at work were shocked when I told them that I was going to AC/DC & Metallica.
    I told exactly what I thought of Electric Picnic too....

"You don't look like a cat-sacrificer!!!"
    Classic from one of the girls in the office.
    Our office not David Brents.

That's a good one. I love Paradise Lost myself, and for me their best albums are Gothic, Icon, Draconian Times, One Seceond and Requiem.

Advertisement