Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two tracks of mine...

• 14-08-2009 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

I figured i would pop these up here and see what people think.

The first one i just finished up this morning, basically taking the theme from the name "Electrical Storm", very chilled and laid back ambient style.

http://soundcloud.com/shatterfreak/electrical-storm

This second one is a little bit more a challenge for the listener i think. "The first steps and dying breath of an awkward machine", basic premise is that it's the ongoing attempts to run and failure of an "awkward machine".

http://soundcloud.com/shatterfreak/the-first-steps-and-dying-breath-of-an-awkward-machine

Any feedback greatly appreciated, it would be nice to get some from people with, basically, the taste in music of people who would frequent a forum like this specifically.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Wow, good stuff - only a few weeks ago you posted your first ever tune, sounds like you have been spending a lot of time at this! Fair play.

Ok, on the first track, I really like it... very IDM sounding. My only complaint would be that I think the percussive element sounds a bit too loud compared to the other elements... easy enough I'd imagine to resolve. I'm not mad on the snare either, but that could be just a personal thing - it just kinda sounds popped in and out if you know what I mean and a bit harsh compared to the rest of the track - its early introduction stuck with me for the whole tune, it just sounded out of place or something - as I say though, that is probably just a personal thing.

The second track I'm finding a similar issue with the distorted snare or whatever it is (I'm no producer so excuse my lack of correct wording, but hopefully you know what I mean!). Again I find it harsh and a bit overpowering, other than that, very good stuff!

Overall, very impressed!

I wish I could ever get the finger out and give it a bash...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I think the first track is a little bit bare overall. I like the mood it presents, the piano works well and the melody is nice. I just think you need to add a few more percussive elements as well as a few effects, just to throw things up a little bit. I'm thinking a few delays here and there on a few hits to fill out the spectrum.

I like the production on the second track. Nice and tight (good melody too) but again its a bit sparse between some hits. I think you just need to gel certain elements together and it will flow nicely. Like maybe route the bass into another bus, cut the low end and have a delay or reverb on the high end from the bass. That way theres some continuity from the bass to the next hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Wow, good stuff - only a few weeks ago you posted your first ever tune, sounds like you have been spending a lot of time at this! Fair play.

Ok, on the first track, I really like it... very IDM sounding. My only complaint would be that I think the percussive element sounds a bit too loud compared to the other elements... easy enough I'd imagine to resolve. I'm not mad on the snare either, but that could be just a personal thing - it just kinda sounds popped in and out if you know what I mean and a bit harsh compared to the rest of the track - its early introduction stuck with me for the whole tune, it just sounded out of place or something - as I say though, that is probably just a personal thing.

The second track I'm finding a similar issue with the distorted snare or whatever it is (I'm no producer so excuse my lack of correct wording, but hopefully you know what I mean!). Again I find it harsh and a bit overpowering, other than that, very good stuff!

Overall, very impressed!

I wish I could ever get the finger out and give it a bash...

I am with you on the snare, something about it was annoying me and now that someone else has pointed it out it's obvious. Will definitely mix that up should i go back to that song.

I think one of the main issues may be that i predominantly write Dubstep...i need to tone back on the snare sounds when i work on other genres...it's one of the main tenants of Dubstep....a big smacky snare.

Excellent mate, thanks for that.

Anima , that's great advice man, thanks very much for taking the time to listen.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Dragan wrote: »
    I am with you on the snare, something about it was annoying me and now that someone else has pointed it out it's obvious. Will definitely mix that up should i go back to that song.

I think one of the main issues may be that i predominantly write Dubstep...i need to tone back on the snare sounds when i work on other genres...it's one of the main tenants of Dubstep....a big smacky snare.

Excellent mate, thanks for that.

Anima , that's great advice man, thanks very much for taking the time to listen.

Cool, I actually hate saying anything that could be deemed negative, especially when I have zero knowledge of production - good that you knew what I meant!

Yeah I'd say though when your main concentration has been something with a very dominant musical feature such as the snares etc in dubstep it can be easy to naturally include when exploring other musical territory.

Advertisement