Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man in Red Van - Roadworks Limerick to Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the whole roadworks thing needs a huge amount of fresh legislation in this country. They throw up any old signs and work and dont take em down when they're not working. Yesterday, on way to killarney, there was a lightboard on left warning to slow to 35kmph (WTF?!?) due to roadworks that werent even happening. unfortunately, the american in front of me slowed to comply, causing a huge tailback.

signs reading 15kmph regularily get put up by roadworks, thats far too slow except in extreme examples IMO.
    to avoid the problems of queue jumping/merging, the cones should go back far enough that the traffic is channelled before it has a chance to build up.
    roadworks should have proper schedules and not be allowed go on during rush hours where possible.
    stop/go sign people should have to do a course in traffic management. some of them make the problem so much worse.
    time lapse temp traffic lights should not be allowed full stop.
    There should be a dedicated inspector in each county that has to inspect all roadwork set ups beforehand and during, and can be contacted with complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Berty, you drive for a living - but driving TO my workplace is as important to me.

Your condescension is fairly irritating. It has been pointed out by a number of posters that earlier constant merging alleviates the problem for all.

End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Berty wrote: »
    Yet YOU are the person committing the road rage. Funny that isn't it? :rolleyes:

So you are doing 100kph and you see the sign saying road ends in 800mtrs. You are saying to give people 200 mtrs to merge and if they do not you will block them.

If you wish to be a road warrior then join the traffic corps.

What makes me smug? Understanding the rules of the road, or is it because I have an Audi? Do I fall into the Merc,BMW,Audi list of bad drivers?

What makes you smug is the fact that know well your in the wrong morally but are still insisting on a technicality basis that you can skip ques at other peoples expense, and saying it in a condescending manner. You know well if every one qued up fairly that traffic would flow smoothly.
    this very quote makes you smug.
    What makes me smug? Understanding the rules of the road, or is it because I have an Audi?

What also makes you smug is that retarted over used smily ":rolleyes:" in an attempt to make me look like an eejit. You know well what I meant by that road rage. I am a very relaxed chilled out courteuos driver, my point was that I am forced against that way of driving because of drivers like you.

As for that Audi remark , I dunno what your on about, unless your trying to remind me you drive an Audi or something I dunno.

And about the "driving 100km/h and you see a sign saying road ends." If your driving and you see that sign and you see everyone queing up beside you the decent thing to do to keep that traffic flowing would be to pull in as well, but you insist on driving onwards with this "why should I Que? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:" attitude at other peoples expense.

This has nothing to do with the rules of the road whatsoever by the way. I dont skip cues in a shop, going to a gig, going to a match so Im not gonna start skipping them just because im nice and safe behind the metal barries of my car going at a speed where I dont have to deal with anyone face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

just went to limerick again today, pulled in about 300 metre mark. what i notice is that all the people here are giving out about people merging from the outside lane to the inside lane, as dictated by the signs. they feel we are encroaching on "their" lane.
    How do you feel about it then when "your" lane is then forced onto the opposing carriageway, and into "their" lane. Do you then feel similarly annoyed?Or think they have the right to be?

With a question like that you are clearly missing the whole point of why people are annoyed tbh.

• Advertisement

phill106 - the majority are not giving out about drivers who merge - it's those who ignore the lane ending signs and stop at the cones expecting to be let in. That's the cause of the delays.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I'd hate to be driving in from Shannon every day with the road works reducing traffic to one lane. I waited in line the day I came in from the N18. Luckily I dont live on that side of the city. I agree that traffic would run a lot better if people were not skipping and merging at the very end.

Surely taking the sixmilebridge route into Limerick would be better at peak times?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What happened to the boards.ie rule of attack the post and not the poster. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

phill106 wrote: »
    +3

+4

the outside lane on the dock road is not an overtaking lane - its a second lane. If people would feel less agrieved and let cars merge correctly, there'd be far less stopping/starting and traffic would move freely. I've driven the world over the worst ever for merging has to be Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Infraction for Wylo.
    Keep it civil, folks... personal attacks on other forum members is not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

Infraction???

Infraction my ass. ,more like censorship.

big bruvver is watching

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yet YOU are the person committing the road rage. Funny that isn't it? :rolleyes:

So you are doing 100kph and you see the sign saying road ends in 800mtrs. You are saying to give people 200 mtrs to merge and if they do not you will block them.

If you wish to be a road warrior then join the traffic corps.

What makes me smug? Understanding the rules of the road, or is it because I have an Audi? Do I fall into the Merc,BMW,Audi list of bad drivers?

People shouldnt be doing 100km/h before the roadworks, the speed limit is 50.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You should contact Limerick city council and inform them that the right hand lane on the dock road is illegal and anybody that uses it is a XXXXX.

You want to sit in the left lane, so be it but do not harrass people who have the cop on not to sit in traffic.

Care to point out where I said the lane was illegal? Or where I harassed anyone?

A lot of people need to brush up on their driving skills in regard to changing lanes, and overtaking.

How to overtake safely

* Make sure the road ahead is clear so you have enough distance to allow you to overtake and get back to your own side of the road without forcing any other road user to move to avoid you.
    * Never directly follow another overtaking vehicle.
    * Give way to faster traffic already overtaking from behind.
    * Before overtaking check that the way is clear, check in your mirror and blind spots to ensure another vehicle is not approaching from behind. Give your signal in good time, move out when it is safe to do so, accelerate and overtake with the minimum of delay.
    * When you are well past, check the mirror, signal and gradually move in again making sure not to cut across the vehicle you have passed.
    * Take extra care when overtaking a vehicle displaying a 'LONG VEHICLE' sign. This means that the vehicle is at least 13 metres long and you will need extra road length to pass it and safely return to the left-hand side of the road.
    * You must not break the speed limit, even when overtaking.

All of the bolded are relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

oh well wrote: »
    +4

the outside lane on the dock road is not an overtaking lane - its a second lane. If people would feel less agrieved and let cars merge correctly, there'd be far less stopping/starting and traffic would move freely. I've driven the world over the worst ever for merging has to be Ireland.
    yes the dock road one is a second lane, the one on the dual carriageway is an overtaking lane though, and with no space to pull back in, a queue should form. The cones should go back much further though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

zuroph wrote: »
    yes the dock road one is a second lane, the one on the dual carriageway is an overtaking lane though, and with no space to pull back in, a queue should form. The cones should go back much further though

well said! obviously some of us have gotten too used to the idea of a "fast lane" - there's no such thing.

Ironic really.

Pure Scumbag in the Avensis.

After the roadworks he passed the artic, opened the window and declared a wanker gesture at full arms length.

He then chased the SUV down, undertook it, moved in front of it and pushed hard on the brakes. The SUV visibly moved to block him in the video so they are both guilty of roadrage really.

The Astra got away without being chased down though even though s/he moved dangerously close to the truck to block the car.

Why did I let them in? I do not want confrontations with that "community" and the way he swung his front wheels to move in front of me, he was going to do it anyway.

WE are not all like this driver. No wonder you hate people in the overtaking lane.

He really took the fvcking p*ss though, speeding to within an inch of the cones expecting the sea of traffic to part for him.

D*ckhead is the only suitable term for him. :mad:

Why did I use my digital camera? Ah, the day was going that way and I had 200kms to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nice catch, Berty. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Nice catch, Berty. :)

Thats the way I roll. :D

thanks to the truck driver today just before 5pm who forced people into the que by driving the same speed as the que in the right lane, he got my thumbs up, within 2 mins you could see the massive difference on the flow of traffic, i think ill be having to do that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Haha what a class vid Berty!

Luckily, I turned off at Cratloe, then took a right after some train tracks and came out at the radisson hotel. Saved me so much time plus, no road rage from looking at ghouls like the avensis.

He was definitely going in front of you whether you let him or not haha! muppet!

• Advertisement

wylo wrote: »
    thanks to the truck driver today just before 5pm who forced people into the que by driving the same speed as the que in the right lane, he got my thumbs up, within 2 mins you could see the massive difference on the flow of traffic, i think ill be having to do that too.

Another guy carrying a big yellow turbine-thing did something similar about 5.30pm and we all motored along wonderfully - it definitely works!

I have to say I am getting a bit obsessed with drivers where the right hand lane ends. Ignorant incident with a blue Ford Ka this evening :mad:

Sheehy, was there any hold up on the Cratloe Road at all? I have only tried it once and there was no moving for about 15 mins around the level crossing....

The N7 Limerick Southern Bypass approaching the John Carew Park Link road roundabout is now a single lane also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ironic really.

Pure Scumbag in the Avensis.

After the roadworks he passed the artic, opened the window and declared a wanker gesture at full arms length.

He then chased the SUV down, undertook it, moved in front of it and pushed hard on the brakes. The SUV visibly moved to block him in the video so they are both guilty of roadrage really.

The Astra got away without being chased down though even though s/he moved dangerously close to the truck to block the car.

Why did I let them in? I do not want confrontations with that "community" and the way he swung his front wheels to move in front of me, he was going to do it anyway.

WE are not all like this driver. No wonder you hate people in the overtaking lane.

He really took the fvcking p*ss though, speeding to within an inch of the cones expecting the sea of traffic to part for him.

D*ckhead is the only suitable term for him. :mad:

Why did I use my digital camera? Ah, the day was going that way and I had 200kms to decide.

you should have called the Garda traffic number, and given them the details. That kind of thing really pi55es me off too. It happened me yesterday at the same set up on the John Carew roundabout. Thing is, you don't know who you're dealing with, it could be a nutcase. I have a wooden pole in the back seat for such occassion, but I'll never use it lol!!
    I drive an old car so I don't care if someone crashes into me either. I'll force them off the road!!
    Was he a total scumbag then yeah? They seem to do what they like...
    Don't worry though. If he continues to drive like that, he'll hopefully end up wrapped around a tree and end up 6ft under...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

On single carriageway roads the traffic doesn't back up for no reason, its plainly obvious that Berty and his ilk driving passed the queue, in the right hand lane, to save a few minutes wiating time are the cause of the backlog. To say anything else is simple a farce.

Am i the only one who can see the irony in Berty giving out about people's bad driving etc but then using a digital camera to record something while he is driving?
    And you can clearly see how smooth the traffic is moving there because there are no prícks cutting in from the overtaking lane at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

seachto7 wrote: »
    Thing is, you don't know who you're dealing with, it could be a nutcase. I have a wooden pole in the back seat for such occassion, but I'll never use it lol!!
    I drive an old car so I don't care if someone crashes into me either. I'll force them off the road!!

Yeah, really have to lookout for those nutcases, you can tell who they are because they are the ones that dont carry wooden poles in the backseat and try to ram people off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Osk wrote: »
    Sheehy, was there any hold up on the Cratloe Road at all? I have only tried it once and there was no moving for about 15 mins around the level crossing....

I went Cratloe again today, took me exactly 5 minutes from the turn off to Cratloe to Radisson hotel, no waiting in queues!

That was about 4.30pm. Might have been lucky last 2 days but will keep using it for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I went Cratloe again today, took me exactly 5 minutes from the turn off to Cratloe to Radisson hotel, no waiting in queues!

That was about 4.30pm. Might have been lucky last 2 days but will keep using it for the time being.

The real problem is that the road is a bit narrow and should anything happen like a minor accident the road could be blocked for ages, at least the traffic flows on the main road.

I was on the Clondrinagh roundabout on Monday at 15:35 and travelled the main road and was dropping off my passenger at the set down in the airport at 15:59.

Funnily enough, that car was in Shannon last night outside the place i work. Its a traveller from the town and a definite scumbag. He threatened to kill me a few years ago because i stopped his fat wife robbing a PSP from Smyths on Childers Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

People who leave it to the last minute to pull into the left hand lane really p*ss me off, I have no problem with people who pull in with a few hundred metres to go..

Another thing that annoys me is the junction on Childers Road leading into Claughaun GAA club. The left hand lane is for turning into Castletroy View etc and is clearly marked on the road but ignrant idiots in a hurry go straight on when using this lane to go into the retail park instead of queuing like everyone else :mad:

As for Berty and his preaching about driving, he should be put off the road for using the camera for filming while driving. What a total and irresponsible hypocrite.....

Advertisement