Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man in Red Van - Roadworks Limerick to Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Really?? Why leave it open so?

If thats the case shouldnt they close the left hand lane?
    there's only traffic at certain times, if traffic is built up, its illegal to overtake as you have nowhere to pull back in to, if traffic is not built up, you're free to overtake, as you can pull back in without obstructing left lane traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fair enough but its hardly going to apply here is it? Didnt someone say they saw the Gardai doing it, and even on duty they should follow rules of the road unless in an emergency.

And the same situation happens all over the country.

Fair enough but its hardly going to apply here is it? Didnt someone say they saw the Gardai doing it, and even on duty they should follow rules of the road unless in an emergency.

And the same situation happens all over the country.
    Gardaí didnt even indicate changing lanes, I think we can safely say they weren't following the rules of the road.

Irish rules of the road are flawed, but thems the rules. As I said at the start of the thread, there needs to be a huge overhaul of how roadworks are allowed proceed in this country.

zuroph wrote: »
    As I said at the start of the thread, there needs to be a huge overhaul of how roadworks are allowed proceed in this country.

Couldnt agree with you more on that one! But you really cant stop there. Ireland really lacks any sort of organisation when it comes to the public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

I've done the whole queueing up on the left lane and it took fookin ages, now i stay in the overtaking lane, get pretty close to the cut off and when there's space i'll indicate and pull into the slow lane, some people on this thread seem to get pissed off when someone uses their initiative.

Too right, It will be so long sucker's in the left lane from now on!!!

• Advertisement

true true, this is all stuff the council should be taking care of properly. local government needs ripping apart and a re-build from the ground up.

Ireland is still miles behind other countries and its not going to change for a very very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

lol, all it took was one mention of the public sector and were all on the same side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

There was some prick at it in a 4x4 going from snn to lim at about 5.10 today. In the overtaking lane going the same pace as the driving lane. I have your reg and i will report you for braking the law for failing to proceed at a reasonable speed if i see you do it again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The NRA does a feasability survery on proposed routes and then put it out to design, they then put it out to Tender and the council is "allowed" a group of engineers to observe and report the process of the build.

The council do not decide on the route of the roadworks so therefore have no input other than suggestive input. They have no authority.

The contractors have oversight on how to proceed with the roadworks during their own timescale and decide which lanes go where and when.

This is why the local council is moaning about the Rosbrien interchange and the NRA is telling them to go stuff themselves because they(NRA) decided 5 years ago on the route and nobody complained then so they will not be changing anything now.

So the only person who can change the way the lane system works is the foreman for that specific section in conjunction with the input of the council and the input of the HSA.

I once helped the consultation of the M8 interchanges in Fermoy when there was 4 weeks of temporary traffic lights and we changed them a few times bowing to local pressure but in the end "you are damned if you do and damned if you dont".

You cannot simply change the lanes to suit rush hour. You would then employ a team just to look after lane changes.

Only another 2-3 weeks of the lane merge on the N18 as far as Limerick Live 95fm is concerned this morning.

The M20, god only knows. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

Berty, whatever way you look at it, queue skipping is just being a prick.

If everyone stayed in the left down that short stretch, there'd be no bottleneck and everybody would be through there quicker than both the queuers and the skippers. But the more people who don't cooperate ruin this for everyone.

Its basic game theorey really. I can whip together a quick payoff matrix if you dont understand.

I really dont know how you can proove that everyone filing into left lane would make it quicker?
    Nouveau, what would you prefer? Stay in queue and wait or skip past as you seemingly are allowed to do?

Berty:

The Rosbrien interchange is a mess. Does that mean people that are coming from dublin that want to go to maldron hotel, have to go up the first overpass to get back on the otherside??

if thats the case, its mindboggingly stupid. And after driving the route today - there doesnt seem anyway how they will solve it! Unless there is the turnaround bit like they have on the dual carriageway to Shannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Ireland is still miles behind other countries and its not going to change for a very very long time

have you ever been outside Ireland? things like this are happening everywhere, people always argue, and then wait until it happens again, really

been here and there, seen this happening virtually everywhere

Berty:

The Rosbrien interchange is a mess. Does that mean people that are coming from dublin that want to go to maldron hotel, have to go up the first overpass to get back on the otherside??

if thats the case, its mindboggingly stupid. And after driving the route today - there doesnt seem anyway how they will solve it! Unless there is the turnaround bit like they have on the dual carriageway to Shannon

Dublin to the Maldron. Nope. The John Carew Park Link road will be closed to inbound traffic permanently. The only traffic able to use this road will be traffic LEAVING the city. If you wish to get to the Maldron you can exit at Ballysimon and head up the Childers road or failing that you can head onto the Dock road and head back up the winding roads that way.

Does that sound ridiculous? Yes because it is. :rolleyes:

Here is an interactive map

http://www.limericktunnel.com/RouteMapInteractive.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I can whip together a quick payoff matrix if you dont understand.

Yes Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Berty wrote: »

Only another 2-3 weeks of the lane merge on the N18 as far as Limerick Live 95fm is concerned this morning.

That can't be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

I really dont know how you can proove that everyone filing into left lane would make it quicker?
    Nouveau, what would you prefer? Stay in queue and wait or skip past as you seemingly are allowed to do?
    Did you ever see a single lane of traffic, they usually flow. I think its cleqar to everyone here that if everyone was in one lane there would be no queues. Its the merging causing the problem.

I'd prefer to stay on the left as there doesn't appear to be a safe overtaking oppertunity, so by overtaking I'd be increasing danger to myself and others by squeezing into gaps that aren't there.

yankinlk wrote: »
    Yes Please.

Everyone in one lane (bar you) : L = 1 min, R = 0.75 min
    Current situation with merging : L = 10 mins, R = 5 mins

Someone can adjust for more accurate figures.
    From a personal view, overtaking lane is always faster, but when many people do this, we are all worse off than if we all spent that 1 minute in the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

The way I see it is it would be best if everyone merged into the left lane early and then the traffic can move ahead through the single lane section at a reasonable pace - maybe half normal speed due to the increased traffic flow. However, this will never happen as some people will always go as far as they can in the outer lane. The next best way is to use the two lanes equally and join whichever lane is shortest when you arrive. Then everyone will take approximately the same length of time to get through if cars merge in turn at the end.

truck and van drivers prove it every day.

Thanks again to any of them that might read this! I was happy to let a bread van in this morning that forced people into the left earlier!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Big problem each morning this week is the traffic light system for allowing the construction traffic to cross over. About 5 or 6 cars are being allowed through at a time before they click red again :mad:

I've started the Old Cratloe Road route heading out to Shannon and I'll admit I've turned into a fast laner on the journey home :rolleyes: At 200m I start indicating left and try to merge well before the cones...oh the shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Just something I've noticed in the last few days. The Traffic lights halfway down the contraflow seem to be causing delays as much as right to left mergers.

wylo wrote: »
    truck and van drivers prove it every day.

Thanks again to any of them that might read this! I was happy to let a bread van in this morning that forced people into the left earlier!!!

They are breaking the law and should be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Slow lane - would be well and good if there were not traffic lights during the single lane section

Overtaking Lane - Should not be used after 400m if NO traffic lights are in the single lane section. Seeing there ARE traffic lights, makes no difference to the flow of traffic once they are left into the slow lane before 200m.

Who is to blame? - Whatever union in Ireland allows Road Works on major roads to be carried out during the day placing traffic lights!!! on a single lane road. These kind of road works happen during the night all across Europe.

Can you imagine putting traffic lights (???) on any Motorway across Europe during business hours..

And yes, I have also seen the asshole in the Land Rover.. 07 - Something as far as I remember

Twin-go wrote: »
    They are breaking the law and should be reported.
    no they're not, what law? car in front has priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Maybe so, but they would fail their driving test.. causing an obstruction on the road :p

Maybe so, but they would fail their driving test.. causing an obstruction on the road :p
    they'd fail it for being out there anyway, no space to pull back in..

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/juntions-and-dual-carriageways.html
    wrote:
    "You must normally drive in the left-hand lane of a dual carriageway. You may use the outer lane of a two-lane or three-lane dual carriageway only:
    • for overtaking, and
    • when intending to turn right a short distance ahead."
    These guys are sitting in the overtaking lane, not overtaking and there is no right turn ahead.

When I am in this lane I fully intend to overtake the line of cars to my left.

Again these guys are causing a danger by blocking the overtaking lane and could be holding up emergency vehicles.

Circles.

danger my arse, the guys on the right that are unfairly and illegally overtaking everyone on the left are causing a danger by pissing off so many drivers

• Advertisement

Twin-go wrote: »

Again these guys are causing a danger by blocking the overtaking lane and could be holding up emergency vehicles.

all the more reason you should move to the left, but instead you move to a right lane which is closing causing a potential hold up for emergency vehicles.

No offence your kind of shooting yourself in the foot with the emergency vehicles line.

Advertisement