Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man in Red Van - Roadworks Limerick to Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Berty wrote: »
    Circles.
    too true, its getting worse than the lisbon treaty tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

wylo wrote: »
    danger my arse, the guys on the right that are unfairly and illegally overtaking everyone on the left are causing a danger by pissing off so many drivers

BS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

On the rosbrien interchange, wouldnt cars heading towards tunnel be able to exit left, follow for dooradoyle flyover, then return on the motorway towards the maldron hotel road and enter roxboro that way?

Twin-go wrote: »
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/juntions-and-dual-carriageways.html

[/list]
    These guys are sitting in the overtaking lane, not overtaking and there is no right turn ahead.

When I am in this lane I fully intend to overtake the line of cars to my left.

Again these guys are causing a danger by blocking the overtaking lane and could be holding up emergency vehicles.
    go back and read the thread. No1 should be out there by definition of the law.

circles indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

zuroph wrote: »
    On the rosbrien interchange, wouldnt cars heading towards tunnel be able to exit left, follow for dooradoyle flyover, then return on the motorway towards the maldron hotel road and enter roxboro that way?

With the design they are currently working to you will only be able to access the Maldron if you head along the motorway towards the dock road and do a switch around and come back past Dooradoyle and take the slip road up to the Maldron.

If you are coming from Cork and wishing to enter the city you will be forced onto the motorway to go to either the Galway direction or Dublin direction.

The John Carew Park slip road will be non existent to inbound traffic and the interactive map I put up earlier is for people coming from the city southbound along the M20 or Northbound along the M7.

Sound mad? Yes, because it is.

You will only be able to get onto the John Carew Park Link road entering the city from the Northbound lane heading from the Dock Road.

• Advertisement

With the design they are currently working to you will only be able to access the Maldron if you head along the motorway towards the dock road and do a switch around and come back past Dooradoyle and take the slip road up to the Maldron.

If you are coming from Cork and wishing to enter the city you will be forced onto the motorway to go to either the Galway direction or Dublin direction.

The John Carew Park slip road will be non existent to inbound traffic and the interactive map I put up earlier is for people coming from the city southbound along the M20 or Northbound along the M7.

Sound mad? Yes, because it is.

You will only be able to get onto the John Carew Park Link road entering the city from the Northbound lane heading from the Dock Road.
    but whats the giant flyover they built for so? they filling that in?
    EDIT: Oh i see now, took a look at the close up of the interchange. Seems mad alright, sure they'd only need one extra lane to open up, could do it after the flyover, through the existing roundabout.

I just had a look at page one of the Limerick Post.

That will be worded a little better.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/digitaleditions.aspx?tab=0&pid=16d2df0b-b84b-4602-a4f3-05634de2cff3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

Was headed from limerick to shannon the other day around 4pm. Big mistake. Road is backed as far as coonagh roundabout, so i go back around it, thinking cratloe cant be that bad.

I was wrong. So so wrong.

Bumper to bumper both directions from where that backroad branches off from the radisson. Main cause of congestion. A learner truck driver squeeeeeezing by a narrow section. Got passed that, thinking ok, in the clear now.
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong.
    At the railway junction, where the road crosses the tracks, what is lying prostate over the tracks like a teenager after the leavingcert? A bus eireann bus. Traffic headed towards clare cannot move because of its large posterior. This further backs up the road behind me, stopping traffic altogether.
    Finally with the aid of some helpful passerbys (hostages to traffic), some shunting of cars, some cajoling and liberal applications of lubricant, we finally got through.

What on earth is a bus trying to go down that way for? Dont think it was a school bus, said cappamore as the name on it.anyway took about 45 mins...fun fun fun

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ha ha! I was just in front of you Phillip, and I just missed all the hassle it seems. The truck was pulled in at the narrow part to let our stream of traffic through. The bus was still on the other side of the tracks at that stage though. I did recall thinking that the bus was being fairly optimistic to think he was getting through there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

It seems that in the last few mornings more and more traffic is in the right lane (Shannon-Limerick circa 0800) and guess what, traffic seems to be moving just fine:eek:. Still some people pushing in at the last moment at the cones. Most trying to merge around the 200m sign. All good. Backlog now moved to the Clondel Rd. I guess with the darker mornings more and more kids getting driven to School (lazy Ba*tards) but that is a different argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Best option there is to come out by thomondgate, go up cappantymore in meelick and go over the mountain down past the cratloe forest entry and out on to the dual carriageway..

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

phill106 wrote: »
    Was headed from limerick to shannon the other day around 4pm. Big mistake. Road is backed as far as coonagh roundabout, so i go back around it, thinking cratloe cant be that bad.

I was wrong. So so wrong.

Bumper to bumper both directions from where that backroad branches off from the radisson. Main cause of congestion. A learner truck driver squeeeeeezing by a narrow section. Got passed that, thinking ok, in the clear now.
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong.
    At the railway junction, where the road crosses the tracks, what is lying prostate over the tracks like a teenager after the leavingcert? A bus eireann bus. Traffic headed towards clare cannot move because of its large posterior. This further backs up the road behind me, stopping traffic altogether.
    Finally with the aid of some helpful passerbys (hostages to traffic), some shunting of cars, some cajoling and liberal applications of lubricant, we finally got through.

What on earth is a bus trying to go down that way for? Dont think it was a school bus, said cappamore as the name on it.anyway took about 45 mins...fun fun fun
    hahaha...I was on that bus...it was coming from shannon industrial estate...totally regretted leaving work early!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I can whip together a quick payoff matrix if you dont understand.
    yankinlk wrote:
    Yes Please.

Everyone in one lane (bar you) : L = 1 min, R = 0.75 min
    Current situation with merging : L = 10 mins, R = 5 mins

Someone can adjust for more accurate figures.
    From a personal view, overtaking lane is always faster, but when many people do this, we are all worse off than if we all spent that 1 minute in the left lane.

I was really expecting more effort. much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Berty you are indeed correct on the use of the road but what I have a problem with is those who zoom by the 60 and 50 signs doing 100 or so and then forcing there way in at the front...if you (and I don't mean you personally) travel at the speed indicated, indicate when you wish to merge and merge safely then fair enough but more don't than do :)
    I am just waiting for a garda to make the state lots of money with speeding fines...by getting a speed gun out in the 60 part of the overtaking lane coming up to the merge ;) I reckon a fine every 5 seconds would do the trick.

Berty your video a little later on in this thread is my point exactly...unfortunately there are too many of the "God given right" people on the road which p***es off the masses :)

They are not overtaking you because they are pr*cks. The lane does not close until the end of the lane. There is no direction to merge behind the rest of you because, for some unknown reason, you like queueing.

I saw the sign at 800mtrs and merged at around 500mtrs when there was a massive space and this twat in a Landrover accelerated up behind me beeping the horn and giving me the finger.

I could have, by right, gone right up to 1mtr left in the overtaking lane and merged then.

If you like qeueing stay in the left lane, if you are no fool then use the overtaking lane.

Think about the dock road, its the same theory! :rolleyes:

EDIT BTW, its an OVERTAKING LANE, not a fast lane. Check the rotr - http://www.rotr.ie

The diggers have stopped crossing over the road constantly now which was the reason it was so bad for awhile...their traffic lights constantly changing to let them pass over caused massive tailbacks but whatever mud transporting they needed to do seems to be over for the time being :)
    It seems that in the last few mornings more and more traffic is in the right lane (Shannon-Limerick circa 0800) and guess what, traffic seems to be moving just fine:eek:. Still some people pushing in at the last moment at the cones. Most trying to merge around the 200m sign. All good. Backlog now moved to the Clondel Rd. I guess with the darker mornings more and more kids getting driven to School (lazy Ba*tards) but that is a different argument.

You will probably find they are normally going the indicated speed or close to it...most of the overtaking lane people are breaking the law zooming through a 60 and 50 at 100ish :)
    They are breaking the law and should be reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Mcloke wrote: »
    You will probably find they are normally going the indicated speed or close to it...most of the overtaking lane people are breaking the law zooming through a 60 and 50 at 100ish :)

The trucks/vans that pull into the right lane to stop people overtaking are travelling way less that 60kmp/h. This limit is not offical and the Gardai could not ticket those that exceed it anyway. Could get them for dangerous driving maybe. But driving slowly is also dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Actually under the Road Traffic Acts the council is responsible for implementing speed limits, and they're the ones who implement road works limits, which your are supposed to obey, they're there for the safety of those working on the road, not just to slow you down and ruin your day.

And yes the Gardai can enforce these limits, The council passes the new limit (making it illegal to go over that limit) and then temporary signage is put up for the duration of the works, at which point the council puts the limit back to the original limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hey folks,

How is this road now? I need to head out to the airport from the city about 4:30 and want to know if I should allow for more time...

Cheers...
    - Dave.

Dave,

Im heading to the Radisson for the same time and heading through O'Briensbridge, over through both Meelicks and down the back way.

If you are indeed heading from Castleconnell then I suggest heading over Obriens bridge, turning left for Clonlara and turning right at the Clonlara bridge getting to Shannon through Sixmilebridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll be coming through town, Berty (I'm going from work). Traffic still bad so?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was going outwards last Friday afternoon and it was a nightmare.

If you are coming from town, head for LIT, and go out the Meelick road from there. You will be able to pop out at Cratloe or Sixmilebridge, whichever you prefer, and get to the airport from there.

You may drive a few extra miles, but you will gain quite a bit of time, especially between 16:00 and 19:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Faif play to the lad in the navy Opel Astra this morning. Held up the lane mergers from about 800m back. worked like a charm. Only took an extra ten minutes to get to work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

This is a very devisive issue, huh!
    I have no problem with people using the overtaking lane as long as they merge in safely and dont force their way in at the end of their lane.

I asked a Garda who works in Mayorstone about this.
    He knows the current layout and said driving slowly in order to block the overtaking lane (with hazard lights on or not) amounts to dangerous driving and those drivers should be reported for dangerous driving, and if there were enough reports of these people driving illegally then they would be investigated. (although I thought all reports should be investigated :) Garda Traffic Watch 1890 205 805

Anyone know another Garda to maybe get their opinion on it?

How long more will these roadworks go on for?

You could ask in the ES section of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

rok wrote: »
    This is a very devisive issue, huh!
    I have no problem with people using the overtaking lane as long as they merge in safely and dont force their way in at the end of their lane.

I asked a Garda who works in Mayorstone about this.
    He knows the current layout and said driving slowly in order to block the overtaking lane (with hazard lights on or not) amounts to dangerous driving and those drivers should be reported for dangerous driving, and if there were enough reports of these people driving illegally then they would be investigated. (although I thought all reports should be investigated :) Garda Traffic Watch 1890 205 805
    Theres a reason these people dont get reported, its because its plain obvious that theyre speeding up the whole process for everyone.
    Ive nothing but respect for them, they help get me into work on time and you'd want to be an absolute prick to report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If i ever experienced this I would call the Gardai - its ridiculous that people attempt to block drivers that have better things to do than wait all day in the left lane.

Of course I would have to pull over first and call the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

wylo wrote: »
    Theres a reason these people dont get reported, its because its plain obvious that theyre speeding up the whole process for everyone.

This is why I despair for the Irish.

a) read the rest of the thread.
    b) get a clue about the correct process of merging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

For those that cant be arsed.
    Authors
    Patrick T. McCoy1, Geza Pesti1

1Department of Civil Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, W348 Nebraska Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0531
    Abstract

Conventional traffic control plans for lane closures of rural Interstate highways normally work well as long as congestion does not develop. However, when the traffic demand exceeds the capacity of the work zone, queues may extend back past the advance warning signs, often surprising approaching traffic and increasing the accident potential. Also, smooth and orderly merging operations may be lost as some drivers remain in the closed lane attempting to squeeze into the open lane at the head of the queue, while other drivers try to prevent drivers in the closed lane from passing them by straddling the centerline or traveling slowly in tandem with another vehicle in the closed lane. These maneuvers tend to reduce the capacity of the merging operation and increase the accident potential and road rage among drivers. Early merge and late merge are two forms of merge control designed to deal with these problems. However, these approaches have operational characteristics that limit their effectiveness under both congested and uncongested traffic flow conditions. The advantages and disadvantages of each approach are examined. A new concept called the dynamic late merge is described, which features the integration of the late merge and conventional lane-closure merge control on the basis of real-time measurements of traffic conditions in advance of the lane closure.

and

http://trafficwaves.org/seatraf.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Jumpy wrote: »
    For those that cant be arsed.

and

http://trafficwaves.org/seatraf.html

Ahhhh I see. So the Cops knew that internal affairs were setting them up?

Advertisement