Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man in Red Van - Roadworks Limerick to Shannon

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Jumpy wrote: »
    This is why I despair for the Irish.

a) read the rest of the thread.
    b) get a clue about the correct process of merging.
    I have read and posted in most of the thread if you actually looked, I am well aware of the process of merging, and I know for a fact that the fastest way for everyone is by forcing people to merge earlier so theres no need for the insulting condescending remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

wylo wrote: »
    I have read and posted in most of the thread if you actually looked, I am well aware of the process of merging, and I know for a fact that the fastest way for everyone is by forcing people to merge earlier so theres no need for the insulting condescending remarks.

Ah yes, saying the word fact makes it true.

How about you spend a bit of time proving the point like many others have done on this thread without stating "fact".

Ah yes, saying the word fact makes it true.

How about you spend a bit of time proving the point like many others have done on this thread without stating "fact".

I have, if you read through the thread, I have seen it first hand every single day. I watch how people on the left stop for people on the right, this lets the left hand build up at the top due to every third or fourth car stopping. I have seen what it is like when people are forced to merge earlier while traffic is still moving and I have seen how this frees up the movement at the top.

Jesus, truck drivers aren't stupid you know, they don't do it for no reason.

They know well that all of the left lane speeds up as soon as the very top of it is freed up. I see the difference between when the right lane is blocked and when it is not blocked. I see exactly how the traffic on the left reacts to this. I see the difference in the time I get to work, its usually 10 minutes earlier when a truck is forcing people to the left earlier on.
    I cant offer you any more proof than being a daily witness. So as I said, enough with the condescending remarks, I used the word fact , who cares.

Jesus this is really going around in circles at this stage. I promised myself about 5 pages ago Id just forget about it and Im drawn in again.

Either way Im happy now because I see how that most truck drivers and big vans have copped onto it. Its not as easy in a small car, it takes more balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Irish people hate someone else having an easier life and then try to make life miserable for everyone else by locking overtaking lane when there was no need for it, if everyone used both lanes it would solve a lot of problems (FACT :D )

Irish people hate someone else having an easier life and then try to make life miserable for everyone else by locking overtaking lane when there was no need for it, if everyone used both lanes it would solve a lot of problems (FACT :D )
    If everyone used both lanes it would be about the same as as whats it like when people are forced to the left lane earlier.

And yes, your right about the Irish people thing, probably goes for all people, but in this particular case , its people having an easier life at the expense of people that are trying to que.

• Advertisement

I have, if you read through the thread, I have seen it first hand every single day. I watch how people on the left stop for people on the right, this lets the left hand build up at the top due to every third or fourth car stopping. I have seen what it is like when people are forced to merge earlier while traffic is still moving and I have seen how this frees up the movement at the top.

Jesus, truck drivers aren't stupid you know, they don't do it for no reason.

They know well that all of the left lane speeds up as soon as the very top of it is freed up. I see the difference between when the right lane is blocked and when it is not blocked. I see exactly how the traffic on the left reacts to this. I see the difference in the time I get to work, its usually 10 minutes earlier when a truck is forcing people to the left earlier on.
    I cant offer you any more proof than being a daily witness. So as I said, enough with the condescending remarks, I used the word fact , who cares.

Jesus this is really going around in circles at this stage. I promised myself about 5 pages ago Id just forget about it and Im drawn in again.

Either way Im happy now because I see how that most truck drivers and big vans have copped onto it. Its not as easy in a small car, it takes more balls.

No you see a constant repeat of retarded driving. This does not prove anything at all.

It is the people that go nose to arse in the left lane in a "fuck you" attitude that slows down the merging.

I have driven in multiple developed nations covering multiple major cities and they all seem to be able to handle closed lanes. Its not that the Irish cant learn, its that they wont. Everyone else is out to get them on the road, its a free for all. Courtesy be damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Had the pleasure of coming into the city from the airport thursday morning ..... complete and utter gridlock as far as I could see from Setrights through to Elm motors ......

have to say I tend to join the slow lane in plenty of time and certainly once the temporary speed restriction signs are reached ...... I personally think the majority of cars passing me are hardly below the official road speed limit let alone the temporary reduced limit ........ I did see one very new smashed up Modeo with a very sad looking guy sitting in it ...... someone had managed to get him into the construction area and safely off the roadway ....... I wonder if it happened in the slow or fast lane ..... :confused:

But I digress .......

there seemed to be a large number of cars turning off the main carriageway just before Sheils ....... who could blame them since we had all come to almost a complete stop once again despite being well past the construction area ..... low and behold, the road returned to a single lane and would you ever guess ....... a half dozen Polite men complete with a band of happy Road Census operators had returned the carriage way to complete grid lock ..... bless them .....

No you see a constant repeat of retarded driving. This does not prove anything at all.

It is the people that go nose to arse in the left lane in a "fuck you" attitude that slows down the merging.

I have driven in multiple developed nations covering multiple major cities and they all seem to be able to handle closed lanes. Its not that the Irish cant learn, its that they wont. Everyone else is out to get them on the road, its a free for all. Courtesy be damned.

But you cant prove your point any more than I can tbf. If people split in half and all cars filled both lanes, mathematically it should take the same time as if everyone moved to the left. IMO it would probably take longer to do the former because the traffic has to stop at the top.

But not everyones moving to left despite seeing a sign saying that their lane is closing in a few 100 metres. So I guess your right, its not that the irish cant learn , its that they wont.

But you cant prove your point any more than I can tbf. If people split in half and all cars filled both lanes, mathematically it should take the same time as if everyone moved to the left. IMO it would probably take longer to do the former because the traffic has to stop at the top.

But not everyones moving to left despite seeing a sign saying that their lane is closing in a few 100 metres. So I guess your right, its not that the irish cant learn , its that they wont.

I have just recently re posted two items that previous posters have made in the thread proving this.

If cars slowed down to the speed limit early then there would be no reason to stop at the top! Look at the posts! rather than reacting to what I say, go back and look at what people have kindly posted. You have to convince yourself, I cant force a change on stubborn people.

Jumpy, listen, I have read those posts and the link already, stop presuming I havent, you obviously arent paying attention to what im saying so Im leaving it at that. I am not going to continue arguing about this. I have made my point, and you have yours.

• Advertisement

Jumpy, listen, I have read those posts and the link already, stop presuming I havent, you obviously arent paying attention to what im saying so Im leaving it at that. I am not going to continue arguing about this. I have made my point, and you have yours.

Aw. You are no fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Rolling road blocks ...... that's what the slow guys in the fast lane, who are travelling at the temporary speed limit, are doing ....

SKY TV are to blame ...... before 'Road Wars' etc on SKY, no one in Limerick had ever heard of Rolling Road Blocks .... :rolleyes:

ps. A CIE Coach was doing it on thursday morning ..... All the Beemers and a good few Lexus owners were doing it in their pants behind him .... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

anyone the least bit interested in finding an objective answer to this question, should read the following article: http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/workshops/accessible/McCoy.htm

(pro's and con's of early, conventional, and (controlled) late merge).

as an appetizer, here's an excerpt from its conclusion:
    Based on these findings, the best system of merge control during peak periods is the Late Merge. However, because of the safety concerns regarding its operation under high-speed, low-volume conditions, the Late Mergemay not be the best system during off-peak periods. Therefore, in order to maintain optimum merging operations at all times, it would be necessary to convert from the conventional merge during periods of uncongested flow to the Late Mergeduring periods of congested flow. In other words, a Dynamic Late Mergewould be needed.

thought id bring up this thread due to the roadworks that have been there the past few weeks!! We can all stop fighting now, what a relief!! Although I have to say, I nearly crashed on my first day, I didnt know where the road was going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

same here, and yet it was 2am when I was on my way to Shannon - imagine how surprised I was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

the problem isn't just merging, i.e. everyone pile into the left lane 2 km before it merges into single lane, then block everyone else from merging, it's Irish drivers in general.
    Other problem areas are overtaking, roundabouts, yellow boxes, red lights, parking in loading bays, disabled spaces, stopping the car in the middle of the road to buy an ice cream, slow driving, lunatic driving, etc...
    Driving here:
    1: How do I get myself an advantage?
    2: How do I stop other people getting ahead in case they might get ahead of me
    and
    3: The rules of the road are just an obstacle to me getting there faster

Really, the traffic should just stay in the two lanes till it says "merge", then zip it. And I am also annoyed by people how drive up to the cones then bully their way in, happened to me and it's damned annoying, but let him in anyway otherwise he might have done god knows what and I'd be forced to put a wheelbrace through his skull. What I mean is stay in both lanes, then merge without all the beeping, outbraking, swearing, finger, shouting, etc...
    Strangely this works on the entire planet, but as the politicians excuse goes "Ireland is different"
    Yeah, cause we want it to be, everything has to be conflict, struggle, nastiness, begrudgery, one upmanship, meanness and looking after your self and no one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

the world over merge zipping works perfectly - irish drivers have a begudging attitude though that no one is getting in front of me.

just back from overseas trip where without a single problem or beep or finger, 5 lanes merged into 4, then into 3 and later went back to 5. traffice didn't stop-start, it flowed perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

thought id bring up this thread due to the roadworks that have been there the past few weeks!! We can all stop fighting now, what a relief!! Although I have to say, I nearly crashed on my first day, I didnt know where the road was going.

I ain't been down lately - what is going on now? We still have 2 lanes both ways right?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

topper75 wrote: »
    I ain't been down lately - what is going on now? We still have 2 lanes both ways right?

Sort of. There are two lanes but they are extremely badly thrown up. Lumps and bumps all over them but the temporary speed limit covers them legally.

Im happy though that I no longer avoid the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Berty wrote: »
    Sort of. There are two lanes but they are extremely badly thrown up. Lumps and bumps all over them but the temporary speed limit covers them legally.

Im happy though that I no longer avoid the road.

Berty generally over the last decade houses are thrown up!as they go upwards?
    Roads are thrown down as to where they go??? DOWN
    Just phrases i know.
    Now to the facts, the road is very bumpy when you drive over it because you are crossing over tempoary lanes, to lanes which will be permanent in about 8 months times.
    The central barrier at the moment crosses the permanent lanes.
    In the day time you can actually see the way the road is laid and the joints of the lanes i talk about.
    Also the temporay lanes go through a roundabout at the moment which is in front of the raddison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I can see both sides of the argument. It does annoy me when people do 100km/hr up to the last few cones and cut in, but I wouldnt have a problem with someone who is in the outside lane, starts indicating at a fair distance to where its obvious the road merges and then moves in. And when people want to merge, cars should give way on a 1-1 basis and stop being so petty. Its this that causes the jams, if everyone let 1 car merge we wouldnt have this problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

If you wanna sit bored, getting later and later for work in the left lane 1km away from a merge thats up to you.. Me im the kinda person that will merge when i feel like it be that 1200mts or 2 ft (as long as its safe of course).. but if you decide to block the overtaking lane in front of me and make me even 30secs later than i might already be im gonna follow you to your destination and when you least expect im gonna jump on you and beat you to a pulp with my trusty steering lock..

So if your a rolling roadblock id get out the way if you see a blue celica behind you..:D

Why are you bumping the thread at the end of November?

I thought when I saw your post that there was a new merge in place and they had closed lanes again!!

Get with the times. The two lanes in both directions were restored weeks back. Why are you picking at the merge argument scab unnecessarily?

Why are you bumping the thread at the end of November?

I thought when I saw your post that there was a new merge in place and they had closed lanes again!!

Get with the times. The two lanes in both directions were restored weeks back. Why are you picking at the merge argument scab unnecessarily?
    jesus whats wrong with you? :rolleyes:did you not read my post at all? I already said it was weeks ago and im not arguing im rejoicing!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

anoble66 wrote: »
    Its this that causes the jams, if everyone let 1 car merge we wouldnt have this problem..
    That's not true though. I drove through those roadworks every day, and the flow of traffic was constant. The volume of cars going through per minute will be the same, it just depends which lane they're coming from.

jesus whats wrong with you? :rolleyes:did you not read my post at all? I already said it was weeks ago and im not arguing im rejoicing!

What's wrong with me - oh nothing. Would you say we have a hope against France in Paris?

What's wrong with me - oh nothing. Would you say we have a hope against France in Paris?
    not sure , we might come good, you never know, Keane might get an earlyish goal that secures us our away goal, but FIFA want France in the cup, so tbh the game will probably be decided by one or 2 stupid referee decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

not sure , we might come good, you never know, Keane might get an earlyish goal that secures us our away goal, but FIFA want France in the cup, so tbh the game will probably be decided by one or 2 stupid referee decisions.

Or no decisions at all. I'd say France will win and Thierry Henry will probably have a hand in it.
    Anyone got the Lotto numbers for next Saturday (21st Nov?) for us people in the parallel universe? :D

Advertisement