Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has & who hasn't already sent in their renewal forms?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering as I haven't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

all gone in john since last week

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I still have to do it (all 3 expire on 31/10). Mostly because I need to get some photos organised and decide on references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

haven't even got mine yet:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Haven't sent mine in yet, too much still happening with SIs and Guidelines to know what's required.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

All gone since monday. FO said i filled in everything that was required. Got pulse ID from gun club which helped. FO also said that he was talking to Dublin and the first of the applications (all of them not just mine) will not be proccessed for 3-4 weeks as they are not fully prepared yet. Wait and see time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

My renewal isn't until next June, but I've put in a new application, so the waters are getting tested that way anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

mine are out on the 31 st oct whats the panic i have over 3 months to put them in .

jwshooter wrote: »
    mine are out on the 31 st oct whats the panic i have over 3 months to put them in .

9-10 weeks more like it. The earlier the better anyway.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Put my 3 in on wednesday went down and got back the shotgun one today as i recieved another extension for that one till next june...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

mine are due to expire at the end of October. The cops said to come back and apply at the start of September - oh and bring your firearms for "inspection"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

endasmail wrote: »
    all gone in john since last week

same here,done and dusted,straight forward,no hidden agendas

Jonty wrote: »
    mine are due to expire at the end of October. The cops said to come back and apply at the start of September - oh and bring your firearms for "inspection"

You're not going to bring your firearms down to the station are you?

ezridax wrote: »

I was told I didn't have a choice in the matter

Can they make me do this? I mean I've jumped through hoops already and if I lived 3 miles east or west of my current location I'd be in 2 different districts and wouldn't be subject to these lads with their "Ah sure we'll make it up as we go along" attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Can they make me do this?

I would suggest that it would be more prudent for them to call in with you to see your firearms than for joe public to see "jonty the Taliban" walking into their local nick like he was heading for helmand province:D

I would suggest that it would be more prudent for them to call in with you to see your firearms than for joe public to see "jonty the Taliban" walking into their local nick like he was heading for helmand province:D

I suggested this as I didn't want some knacker walking in and observing me with a couple of high power rifles.

They said they couldn't come up to the house as "Sure how long would it take to visit all the houses in the parish?"

I dunno but it'd be surely something to do for them. Also will I have to pull my safes off the wall and bring them in for inspection too:D?

Eh Foxy - Its Coalition Forces I'd be supporting - I'm not gone on them Taliban lads and besides I could never ride my "battle donkey" into the station

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You should bring the wall too so they can inspect how securely the safe is affixed to it. :p

I suggested this as I didn't want some knacker walking in and observing me with a couple of high power rifles.

They said they couldn't come up to the house as "Sure how long would it take to visit all the houses in the parish?"

I dunno but it'd be surely something to do for them. Also will I have to pull my safes off the wall and bring them in for inspection too:D?

Eh Foxy - Its Coalition Forces I'd be supporting - I'm not gone on them Taliban lads

I would be a bit uncomfortable taking my gear in the front door of the garda barracks as ours is now like walking into a bank with the garda behind glass- if they would even meet you half way and inspect in the boot of the car in the yard out of prying eyes would be better- I mean I always keepa low profile with my neighbours when removing firearms from my home as you dont know how hysterical some folks get at the sight a gun , but for the garda to suggest that you take your gear into the station for inspection, in front of prying eyes, is out of order and if any DOJ folks are reading this
    then take on board what we are showing concern about here!

You should bring the wall too so they can inspect how securely the safe is affixed to it. :p

ROFL:D:D

I would be a bit uncomfortable taking my gear in the front door of the garda barracks as ours is now like walking into a bank with the garda behind glass- if they would even meet you half way and inspect in the boot of the car in the yard out of prying eyes would be better- I mean I always keepa low profile with my neighbours when removing firearms from my home as you dont know how hysterical some folks get at the sight a gun , but for the garda to suggest that you take your gear into the station for inspection, in front of prying eyes, is out of order and if any DOJ folks are reading this
    then take on board what we are showing concern about here!

I'm not anticop or anything, I'd be more than willing to let them enter my house to inspect my security and firearms arrangement, but it gets to the point where you have to say no. Where is it in legislation that I have to have my firearms inspected? And for what reason? I have supplied bills of sale to the guards along with my original firearms applications so yes the guns DO exist. How are the gards "qualified" to inpsect the firearms. Is it an "idontlikedelookodat" type of inspection? Yes I have a synthetic stocked rifle. Should that matter. If my firearms are damaged in ANY way during this "inspection" what remedy am I entitled to?

EDIT - Sorry for the bit of a rant lads. I think these are all valid points. Don't want to come across as a smartass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

ezridax wrote: »

Yes if asked. I seem to be asked about every 2nd or 3rd year. This all stems from back a few years ago when gun crime kicked off, some guns used in crime were traced back to their owners and it was established that the weapon in question had been stolen years earlier but never reported,because there was never a check done whether the weapon was still in the owners posession,so rather than report it they just renewed their licence every year rather than go through hassle, I know of some instances of weapons stolen or lost for many years (20-30) and their licence renewed. Gardai were renewing licences for weapons for years that their owners had lost or stolen because a check was never done. Hence the check up now. It only makes sense.It is compulsary.

jonty this is wrong imformation from them .
    mine are out the same time as you .you have to the 31st of oct to apply and you do not have to bring your firearms to the station.

mine are out the same time as you .you have to the 31st of oct to apply and you do not have to bring your firearms to the station.

I know that. Its just bull from their side

I know that. Its just bull from their side

if you pm me your e mail .i will send you a letter from the DOJ stating that you have till the 31st of oct to apply .

Yes if asked. I seem to be asked about every 2nd or 3rd year. This all stems from back a few years ago when gun crime kicked off, some guns used in crime were traced back to their owners and it was established that the weapon in question had been stolen years earlier but never reported,because there was never a check done whether the weapon was still in the owners posession,so rather than report it they just renewed their licence every year rather than go through hassle, I know of some instances of weapons stolen or lost for many years (20-30) and their licence renewed. Gardai were renewing licences for weapons for years that their owners had lost or stolen because a check was never done. Hence the check up now. It only makes sense.It is compulsary.

Quote your source on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i have to agree with you all on this point , i went into the local cop-shop 2 years ago to renew my licences and was waiting there in the queue to be seen , what i didn't realize was a 24 carat scumbag had walked in behind me , he was there because he was out on bail and had to sign on everyday , i asked the guard that was dealing with my licences could we not deal with the paperwork in private instead of on the counter in front of everyone,"ah no it'll be grand was the answer" , everytime the cop mentioned revolver or pistol the scumbags ears pricked up , i was never so annoyed in my life , if the guards were serious about curtailing gun crime they would surely insist on keeping anything to do with firearms extremely private and underwraps , making people bring in firearms for inspection is stupid .

Both Deerhunter and Rowa are correct. But if the guards were that concerned could they not visit Firearms owners in the places where the fireamrs are stored? It would mean they could check security etc. in one go.

It is NOT compulsory. A Garda has no standing to force a person to produce any firearm at the station for "inspection". They cannot even enter your home unless allowed to do so by the owner. This obviously is circumvented by failing an inspection if they are not allowed to enter but myself, like everyone here i assume, has nothing to hide so allows the Gardai entry.

Foxshooter has it right by saying why would anyone parade their firearms by bringing them down to their local station. It goes against all sensible reasoning. Plus, as Foxshooter also said, as your home has to be inspected to make sure you are up to code on the necessary security requirements it would be more prudent to inspect them where they are to be stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If your extension says "until Oct 31", then your licence runs out on October 31. October 31 is not the date the application must be in by, it's the date on which your licence expires and you're left in possession of an unlicenced firearm.

And if the local Super says bring them in, that's a precondition on your licence. And no, you don't have to bring them in. You can just sell them to the dealer and call it quits instead.

But if you want to keep them? And the Super (not the guy on the desk, because he can't make this stuff up) says so? Yeah, you have to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I thought that the general advice given was to never allow your firearms to be inspected in the public office of a Garda Station?

Advertisement